Lowes fires employee who had been with them for 13 years for trying to prevent shoplifting

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I respectfully disagree. Firing for a single incident like that is a bit over the top. I'm not saying it isn't their prerogative, just that it's a bit much. A lot much, actually. Unless, of course, they fire people for the 1st violation of any part of their code of conduct.
While we should hound our elected officials, we should also hound Lowe's. Their ineptitude costs the customer money. The hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen dont just get written off. It gets passed in to you and me. Maybe they need to hire armed guards at some stores. I'd rather see a hammer go up a nickle to pay for a real theft prevention device, than go up because someone stole things.
EXCELLENT!
I could have not described the situation better!

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Let us start with outlawing Narcan, and letting the drug addicts find their ultimate high. A lot of this theft is to buy drugs on the street. I don't care who it is when it comes to drug abuse, if they want to be a drug abuser, let them have the drugs that they want for free, and they can pay the ultimate price for their own abuse. I know that many children with a drug problem will not like my thoughts, but as a retired EMT I realize that they start doing drugs voluntarily. It is a life choice they are making, and we can't stop them once they start.
+1
So true!

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
In reading this thread I am comforted to see so many are concerned with stopping the high level crime of shoplifting. I assume these same posters are all in when one of our politicians breaks some equally or higher level of nefarious behavior.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
In reading this thread I am comforted to see so many are concerned with stopping the high level crime of shoplifting. I assume these same posters are all in when one of our politicians breaks some equally or higher level of nefarious behavior.
Uh, it's Grand Larceny. Which is, in all states and the District of Columbia, a felony.
But yes, all should be held equally accountable. There is no point in having laws otherwise. My big issue is equality. If I'm found in possession of my EDC in a prohibited place (a misdemeanor) then I am going to get arrested and spend some time in jail (proven by case law). If I commit felonious theft, they won't even look for me. That's some bovine excrement IMHO.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Recently saw a news article where Lowes had fired an employee of 13 years because she tried to stop shoplifters from stealing from the store, the employee was brutally assaulted when she tried to stop the thieves from pushing an unpaid for cart of merchandise out the store.
Lowes rewards her by terminating her,
Shoplifting results in business raising prices which are paid by honest people who actually pay for their purchase,
I have sent Lowes a letter advising them my family will no longer be patronizing their store because of how they have treated this employee and their policy rewarding shoplifters
You can blame the lawyers for all of this...whether they are county prosecutors or general counsel for lowes.... I am pretty sure HD would do the same...I try to buy local. ....local lumberyard, local hardware store. Yes its more expensive but I can afford to spend my money on businesses I believe in.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You can blame the lawyers for all of this...whether they are county prosecutors or general counsel for lowes.... I am pretty sure HD would do the same...I try to buy local. ....local lumberyard, local hardware store. Yes its more expensive but I can afford to spend my money on businesses I believe in.
I agree,...... but sometimes it is also about convenience, and availability/product choice.

Bakerman

Equipment
L3301D
Aug 11, 2021
Tallahassee
I just retired after 32 years in the retail grocery business. In the early years when I was still an invincible young stud we were encouraged to physically stop shoplifters using whatever force we felt necessary. It sounded almost like a game and way to try and be a BA. Multiple people were supposed to respond to incidents to work together. As you might guess it didn"t always work out that way and one time I found myself in a 3 against one situation. The outcome was 2 got away but I held the third for police resulting in his arrest. I took my cracked ribs, sprained shoulder, and bruised ego and went straight to the store manager's office and explained to him that I would be waving goodbye at shoplifters as they ran out the door and I would NEVER again put myself in jeopardy to restrain anybody. A few months later this national chain changed their policy and everyone was instructed to never attempt restraining someone. Not requiring employees to put themselves in jeopardy is way more important than a few dollars (yes I know it's actually billions but that's another story).

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The problem today is that our Justice system is corrupted and picks and chooses what side they want to be on. If you are a member of one political party, they will lie, and do whatever they can to discredit you. If you are a member of the opposite political party, they will lie and do whatever they can to protect you.
The same goes for divorce, if you are a male, they will make you into a criminal by innuendo and take whatever financial wealth you have and give it to your wife (female). If you are a female in the divorce, you can commit whatever crimes you can think of to steal your soon-to-be ex-husband's wealth with impunity from the court. It doesn't make any difference if you have broken State or Federal laws, as long as the divorce is in the hands of the court, no state or federal agency will even consider prosecution for the crimes that you have committed. Not even the Internal Revenue Service. Once again it is the double standard that our justice system has evolved into. Ponder why so many men will apply violence at the end of the divorce and kill the former wife and then themselves. They have already lost everything, so they rationalize the act as if they have nothing more to lose.
Statistically today men are not getting married to the woman that they live with, even if there are children involved. It is easier to pay child support than it is to pay alimony and child support. These actions are a direct result of what the courts have been doing for the past 20+ years to men.
If you look at television commercials you will see that women have taken over the advertising and that men are no longer equally represented.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The problem today is that our Justice system is corrupted and picks and chooses what side they want to be on. If you are a member of one political party, they will lie, and do whatever they can to discredit you. If you are a member of the opposite political party, they will lie and do whatever they can to protect you.
The same goes for divorce, if you are a male, they will make you into a criminal by innuendo and take whatever financial wealth you have and give it to your wife (female). If you are a female in the divorce, you can commit whatever crimes you can think of to steal your soon-to-be ex-husband's wealth with impunity from the court. It doesn't make any difference if you have broken State or Federal laws, as long as the divorce is in the hands of the court, no state or federal agency will even consider prosecution for the crimes that you have committed. Not even the Internal Revenue Service. Once again it is the double standard that our justice system has evolved into. Ponder why so many men will apply violence at the end of the divorce and kill the former wife and then themselves. They have already lost everything, so they rationalize the act as if they have nothing more to lose.
Statistically today men are not getting married to the woman that they live with, even if there are children involved. It is easier to pay child support than it is to pay alimony and child support. These actions are a direct result of what the courts have been doing for the past 20+ years to men.
If you look at television commercials you will see that women have taken over the advertising and that men are no longer equally represented.
Some here will disagree,...... but having lived for nearly 83 years,...... and being divorced in 1997, after 34 years of marriage, (15 years with a philandering wife ),........ you are very correctly describing the reality of the times we live in.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Some here will disagree,...... but having lived for nearly 83 years,...... and being divorced in 1997, after 34 years of marriage, (15 years with a philandering wife ),........ you are very correctly describing the reality of the times we live in.
I hear it’s less expensive to borrow, rent or lease sometimes than it is to buy. Hence Millennials and Gen Zs electing not to be married. I’m way in to the cheaper to keep ‘er range.

As to some of the rest of it, affirmative action solidified reverse discrimination in the country a few decades ago. Some may disagree, I have no qualms with that.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I worked at lowes for a few years, yes we were told only to ask if you could see their receipt, if they said no, f off or whatever you could not pursue. Once the tool dept. Manager followed a couple customers out to their car pushing two carts full of dewalt tools, he managed to get 1 cart back, while live streaming to facebook. Saved the store $1100 bucks. 1 week later he was fired.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I hear it’s less expensive to borrow, rent or lease sometimes than it is to buy. Hence Millennials and Gen Zs electing not to be married. I’m way in to the cheaper to keep ‘er range.

As to some of the rest of it, affirmative action solidified reverse discrimination in the country a few decades ago. Some may disagree, I have no qualms with that.
If you really believe....... "cheaper to keep 'er"..... after learning of 8 affairs, you are mentally/morally wired very differently than I am!
My life is about much more than just money!

Last edited:
  • Wow

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I you really believe....... "cheaper to keep 'er"..... after learning of 8 affairs, you are mentally/morally wired very differently than I am!
Maybe your experience is different than mine? Ya, probably so.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I bet settling employee disputes is easy. 😉
And you always know who to blame for a problem. That’s the best part of working on my own junk, that andnno one is trying to BS me about it.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Uh, it's Grand Larceny. Which is, in all states and the District of Columbia, a felony.
But yes, all should be held equally accountable. There is no point in having laws otherwise. My big issue is equality. If I'm found in possession of my EDC in a prohibited place (a misdemeanor) then I am going to get arrested and spend some time in jail (proven by case law). If I commit felonious theft, they won't even look for me. That's some bovine excrement IMHO.
Grand larceny is defined variously in every state. . .

Just so long as we get the bad guys. . .

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS/Gray News) - A convenience store owner in South Carolina is facing murder charges after he shot and killed a 14-year-old boy he suspected of shoplifting.

The Richland County Sheriff’s Department says the shooting happened at a Shell gas station on Parklane Road in Columbia, around 8 p.m. Sunday.

Rick Chow, who owns the Shell gas station chased Cyrus Carmack-Belton from his store and shot him just down the road.

“It’s senseless, it doesn’t make sense,” Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said in a Memorial Day press conference. “You have a family that’s grieving. We have a community that’s grieving over a 14-year-old who was shot.”

The owner told police he suspected Carmack-Belton of shoplifting inside the store, which the department said did not happen.