Leinbach auger height issues

Ruskyhog

Jan 2, 2018
Wills Point, Texas
Ok peeps so I had a gentleman give me a leinbach auger that has been sitting for some years. After tearing it apart and replacing some small minor things I put it on the tractor and no matter which combination of pin placement I did the highest I’ve been able to get it to raise is about 1/2” off the ground. I’ve even shortened my lifting arms on the 3 point as far as possible and still the same result. I originally put it on a M7040 and after trying everything I then swapped it to the M9540 thinking that might be the issue. But for some odd reason it still does the same thing. I’ve had augers in the past and never encountered this. The others I’ve had would have close to a foot or so at full lift. I’m at a loss and have no idea what it could be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Had this height issue w/ compacts ( not this severe) but not w/ full size utility tractors. Currently have hydraulically driven unit supported by the forks on all of the FEL's on my tractors.,. obviously no height issues w/ FEL mount. Perhaps a member has an operating manual for your machine, not familiar w/ your brand.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
No their website shows the compact tractor model with the boom under the arch.

Try to move the tractor end of the boom to a different hole - assuming you have three holes on tractor

Try moving the boom attachment point to the arch. There should be several to choose from and it seems that moving the arch toward the tractor will put the boom higher at the outside end

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The Leinbach is designed like that, yoke over.
It's possible that someone has installed a longer auger on it thus it won't lift high enough.
A picture of the auger might answer this.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Using what you have, you might be able to shorten the piece that is on the arched piece and comes down to bolt to the boom. A couple of inches shorter there will make a big difference at the gearbox.

Or you might just move that existing bracket to a hole closer to the gearbox.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Foolish question here.

Is the PTO shaft too long and binding?

How high will it raise with the PTO shaft disconnected?

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I often had the same issue on my B7800.

If you had just sent a picture of the post hole digger at full height without the auger, I'd think the geometry looks pretty darn normal. *IF* that were the case, you might just have an unusually long auger meant for digging deeper holes.

Even if you had 0.1" of clearance when you get ready to dig, that's all you need. You can always tie the auger to the boom for transport and driving between holes.

Then if you need more clearance when you get to where you want to dig the hole, you can drive up on some bricks/boards, etc to raise the back of the tractor and thus raise the auger.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I have a Leinbach L-7300 post auger and I had the same issues when connected to my L3940. It wouldn't quite lift it high enough. I tried moving the top link to all three holes and moving the auger position to all three holes. Regardless, it never quite cleared the auger from the ground. Also, the PTO guard kept it from lowering completely down. I gave up and put the auger on a Ford 3600 I have. No problems whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's the Leinbach design or not, but I could never get it to work on my L3940.

whirly

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100HST
Dec 16, 2016
Pepeekeo, HI
I may be wrong but it appears you have the yoke attached to the hole closest to the tractor. If you move it to the one farthest from the tractor it will give you more lift at the auger end.

Last edited:

Ruskyhog

Jan 2, 2018
Wills Point, Texas
Well guys thanks for all the help but I’m just going to assume that there is nothing to do that will fix the problem. And that it may be a longer support arm for digging deeper. My next to ideas are to either move the connecting plate that’s on bottom of the boom to the top or use a chop saw and take out a few inches then weld it back together. I spent a few hours this weekend hooking it into each of he 3 holes on the tractor then going one by one for each hole on the connecting plate. Then on each setting would try hooking it up with the lift arms all the way up, halfway and lowered all the way. Then did the exact same process again but this time on the 9540 and after measuring I was able to come to the conclusion that the only reason there was just a little bit of height difference is due to tire sizes being slightly different between the 7040 & 9540.

Thanks again for all the help

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk