L4060 PTO problem power takeoff

spas2000

Oct 21, 2017
Greenback, TN
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, so hopefully I'm not going to make too many mistakes using it. I tried a search of PTO, but the search engine said it was too short to search.

I traded my L3400 for a new L4060 last October. So far I really like the tractor but am having a problem with the PTO not shutting off when the switch is turned off. This usually happens after i've been running my rough cut mower for a longer period of time. If I cut just for a brief period the PTO shuts off reliably. Also, when it won't shut off the intelli panel indications both show OFF as the PTO continues to run. It will shut down after a period of time, but it has run up to 1 1/2 minutes before shutdown, with the switch in the off position the entire time. I have it in the repair shop right now, and it pretty much has them stumped as, of course, they are unable to make the problem occur. I have however provided them a video of the situation occurring.

Has anyone else out there had this problem occur? If so, any advise on how to fix it?

Thanks

spas2000

Oct 21, 2017
Greenback, TN
Hi again. It seems I may be the only L4060 owner to have experienced this problem, so I'm going to ask that anyone who may have knowledge of the L4060 PTO system to please give a thought or opinion on this. Any advise or opinion is appreciated.

Thanks,

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is this running at FULL pto speed for this 1.5 minutes? Or does it just rotate for that long yet slowing down a bit until it stops?

Is yours the Grand? Which PTO is it attached too? Mid or Rear?

"The hydraulically activated Live-independent PTO clutch allows both the rear and mid-PTOs to be independently engaged/disengaged while the tractor is still in motion . "

You by chance have an ORC attached to the back of the pto shaft to the rough cutter?

spas2000

Oct 21, 2017
Greenback, TN
Is this running at FULL pto speed for this 1.5 minutes? Or does it just rotate for that long yet slowing down a bit until it stops?

Is yours the Grand? Which PTO is it attached too? Mid or Rear?

"The hydraulically activated Live-independent PTO clutch allows both the rear and mid-PTOs to be independently engaged/disengaged while the tractor is still in motion . "

You by chance have an ORC attached to the back of the pto shaft to the rough cutter?
85Hokie, yes this is happening at full PTO speed the entire time. It's as if I didn't turn it off at all. I think it's he Grand, if they called them Grand in the 2016 MY. I don't have a mid PTO, only the rear, and the mower drive shaft is attached directly to the PTO shaft.

Thanks for the reply,

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I can't tell you how to fix it, but I was curious about how it works since I have a 3560, and so looked up the pto in the shop manual. Here is what it says

"The oil from the regulator valve flows into the PTO clutch solenoid valve. (Picture shows a valve assembly with a little cylindrical structure and a BNC connector.)

When PTO switch is at Off position, the oil flow is stopped by PTO solenoid valve.

When PTO switch is at On position, the oil flows (to) PTO clutch through the PTO solenoid valve and PTO clutch is engaged."

If the PTO won't go on it should give error 95 on the Intellipanel, but in your case it seems like it doesn't know it is not off. So has the dealer tried to figure out if the solenoid is sticking?

It also suggests you check to see if wiring for PTO solenoid is disconnected or short circuited, and also to see if the grounding plate of solenoid is in poor contact with chassis.

Not sure where that grounding plate is, but that would be the first thing to check.

The clutch valve removes and replaces as a whole unit so if at dealer labor for that wouldn't be too bad, or so it sounds.

Let us know how it comes out!

spas2000

Oct 21, 2017
Greenback, TN
It also suggests you check to see if wiring for PTO solenoid is disconnected or short circuited, and also to see if the grounding plate of solenoid is in poor contact with chassis.

Not sure where that grounding plate is, but that would be the first thing to check.
sheepfarmer, thanks for the research into the system. It definately seems the PTO solenoid is not shutting off the flow. I had previously checked and cleaned the connectors and had looked as best I could for any shorts or bare wires, but had not considered the ground. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to suggest they have a look at that.

Thanks,

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Fun looking for some connection that goes bad when heated up :eek:.

spas2000

Oct 21, 2017
Greenback, TN
Latest update from the repair shop...

They have discussed this problem with Kubota, and apparently my tractor is the only one known to exhibit this behavior. After checking the resistance of the solenoid valve and finding no problem, they have decided to replace the PTO solenoid valve and let me have the tractor back to see if problem is fixed. The only other theory involves damage on a PTO clutch plate disc that is preventing disengagement when pressure is removed by the solenoid, which doesn't seem too likely.

I'm hoping the end of the problem is near, and I'll post up with the results..

spas2000

Oct 21, 2017
Greenback, TN
Here's the latest on my L4060...

The dealer returned it to me post repair on Saturday, but I didn't get to test out the repair until today. I did some mowing at a friends place for around 1 1/2 hours, but the late season grass/weeds were not quite the test I was looking for to simulate heavy summertime mowing conditions. The PTO did shut off properly and reliably all of the 7 times it was pressed to the off position, so I am cautiously optomistic that changing the PTO solenoid did fix the problem. I'll post back with updates if the problem comes back in the future. Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do hope that fixed it and I really doubt your the first or the last to have had a problem like that

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Spas2000,

FYI... Looks like another person has a similar problem but on a L5740. He posted on another Tractor forum.

Hope the PTO is still functioning correctly.

Last edited:

FCD

Sep 18, 2018
Silverton, Oregon, USA
Howdy, first time poster.

I own a Grand L4060 HSTC that is having the identical issue. Did your repair fix the problem?

Anyone else have this issue since the original post?

Thanks

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I have a gr L6060 does the same thing. It's been doing it for over a year but so intermittent I don't make an appointment, because it won't do it every time. Longer run times with PTO engaged does seem to make it happen. If anyone has had a fix, I sure would appreciate your response.

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I have a gr L6060 does the same thing. It's been doing it for over a year but so intermittent I don't make an appointment, because it won't do it every time. Longer run times with PTO engaged does seem to make it happen. If anyone has had a fix, I sure would appreciate your response.
Try bringing the engine speed down to idle for a minute or so and then disengage the pto switch and see if that stops the pto shaft quicker. It sounds as if you are disengaging the pto while still at the pto engine speed.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I have tried just about every combination of RPM. Nothing seems to work every time to shut it off. If I idle the tractor and just keep turning the switch on and off it will eventually stop turning.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, so hopefully I'm not going to make too many mistakes using it. I tried a search of PTO, but the search engine said it was too short to search.

I traded my L3400 for a new L4060 last October. So far I really like the tractor but am having a problem with the PTO not shutting off when the switch is turned off. This usually happens after i've been running my rough cut mower for a longer period of time. If I cut just for a brief period the PTO shuts off reliably. Also, when it won't shut off the intelli panel indications both show OFF as the PTO continues to run. It will shut down after a period of time, but it has run up to 1 1/2 minutes before shutdown, with the switch in the off position the entire time. I have it in the repair shop right now, and it pretty much has them stumped as, of course, they are unable to make the problem occur. I have however provided them a video of the situation occurring.

Has anyone else out there had this problem occur? If so, any advise on how to fix it?

Thanks
My L4060HSTC with 600 hours on it is doing the same thing.