Kubota preferred as aircraft tugs

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
The second time I've seen a Kubota used as an aircraft tug, in fact the only brand tractor I've seen as a tug is the K brand, cool.

But, the medical services pilot made me cringe when he started the tractor at what sounded like 3/4 throttle, and then immediately, like a second later started working it. I hope he doesn't treat his fling wing that way, it just seemed kind of crude and uncaring and not the way I expect any pilot with advanced ratings to treat any kind of machinery. And no, he was not going out on a call, oh well, not my tractor. If it was I would have called him out!

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Actually, tractors of many brands have been used as tugs long before Kubota came to be.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Actually, tractors of many brands have been used as tugs long before Kubota came to be.
yup.. and my favorite is the Unimog Tugs :D

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Starting a tractor (Diesel non-turbo) engine at 3/4 throttle does not necessarily cause any more harm than starting it at idle. In fact, depending on how long since the last engine shut down, it may be beneficial to start it at 3/4 speed. In my tractor, the full throttle speed is ~3400 RPM. 3/4 of full throttle is ~2550 RPM. If my engine was shut down for just a few minutes and I needed to start it again I will often start it at the last RPM setting that I shut it down on. If the engine was started while still hot, the oil pump will come up to full pressure faster than if I started it at an idle. I expect arguments contrary to what I have written because we all care about our equipment and experiences vary. Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I wouldn't be too concerned about starting at any revs, being intimately involved in power generation, when a genset is automatically called online it is started at full speed, that being 1500/1800 rpm, it takes about 10 or so seconds to get into sync with the other sets that are on line, the circuit breaker closes and the set takes 80~100% load instantly, depending on what is required. This is from ambient @ 37F~111F. This is for a 500kW V12 turbocharged genset. Many sets may have heaters if they hang around low temps for long periods, go lower etc, but in this particular bank of 6, they ran up in those temps no preheat or oil pumps, just full noise from startup.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm getting the laugh out of the life flight tug with no ROPS!
Yea it'a flat, but "Brown stuff" happens everywhere! ;)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
When I was in the Air Force, we used a tug that had a 440 dodge eng with front and rear steering. Max speed was 24 mph, but man did it have pulling power.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Can't have ROPS around helicopters. Will damage lots of M/R blades and at 300k a piece that gets expensive.
So if the blades can droop enough to hit the ROPs, what happens to the poor driver of the tug? :eek::eek::eek:

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Maybe the tug stays out of the way until the chopper lands. I was wondering if they land on the trailer like that - looks very precise!

LovesDauphins

Equipment
L2250D, FEL
May 12, 2015
Relay, Maryland, USA
Maybe the tug stays out of the way until the chopper lands. I was wondering if they land on the trailer like that - looks very precise!
Yes - they do land on the dolly....sometimes it's easy...sometimes it's not. sometimes its fun :)The biggest problem is if the dolly isn't held in place (wheels chocked, etc).....several videos out there to show the fatal results. :(

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
So if the blades can droop enough to hit the ROPs, what happens to the poor driver of the tug? :eek::eek::eek:
Called Headless Tugman

Last edited:

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Guess I did not understand what you meant at first. The aircraft are not running when a tug is hooked to them, but as you turn the tug, sometimes the blades go above the tug. I have had to move blades as I turn and duck under others. Not running at the time.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
My day job is operating a crane service. I got called out once to load a medical helicopter onto a flatbed trailer for transport to a facility several states away for a major inspection and/or tear down. I remember they had a special shackle that was the designated lifting point, and unlike a lot of things I pick up there was not much doubt of where the CG was! The entire job took about 5 minutes, less then my set up and tear down time, not to mention the 1 hour drive just to get there. I of course asked why they didn't just land on the trailer, and got the answer "too expensive." My fee was peanuts compared to what a buggered up trailer landing would cost I was told!

I guess some mechanical habits are just hard to break, throttling way up immediately upon start up is not for me, like the thread on pre heating it is very good to know that many don't bother and have no problems. My welder generator starts at full throttle, no matter what, then after 60 seconds or so it throttles down, drives me crazy but hey it runs fine so no big deal I guess.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My Miller welder generator does the same thing. It has a circuit to increase the RPM when you strike an arc and maintains that RPM until 15 seconds afterwards, then idles down.

I think if I have the switch set to power, not weld, it might not do that.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
They use them at the airport in my neighboring city too. Can't remember if they have an L series, but they have a few B series that also pull the baggage carts and mow.

And an M series that mows.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Guess I did not understand what you meant at first. The aircraft are not running when a tug is hooked to them, but as you turn the tug, sometimes the blades go above the tug. I have had to move blades as I turn and duck under others. Not running at the time.
Thanks Helomech.
When I read that they land on the dolly, I assumed the tug would have to hold it in place. The dolly doesn't look very heavy to hold itself in place, even with chocks.

Called Headless Tugman
Nice BAP :)