Just puchased 6 acres, now what??

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm not sure I follow, but good luck.

If you just want something to live in on the weekend, consider a TT. Unless you need to do something in a hurry, I'd take my time. I'm reading that the building is slowing down which should make it easier to find a good contractor. Some things like water/septic/power might be worth going now since they take quite a bit of time.
We have a pretty high rent where we are currently living. The issue when we sold was finding a rental that would accept our shepherd. At the time our property manager didn't have much available and we were limited to 3 high end rental houses, new builds in the same neighborhood, all the same high price.

So we have a couple financial decisions to figure out pretty quickly.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Get you a camper.... and take the pressure off the rental. Use your new property as an adventure until you get things under control.

parttime1017

Equipment
B6100E Kubota
Feb 2, 2021
Maryland
If you don't have to, don't combine all three lots. It's nice to have an a extra lot you can sell if need be. Keep all building within the lot set back lines. You can build your shop on one lot and house on the other. Sell either one if and when you want.

Last edited:

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Will you use Kubota fluid or a universal fluid from a retailer?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good on you my friend,, maybe look into the manufactured homes. A friend out side of Bethany Beach, had purchased one m it was a 2 story and they brought it in on 2 trailers and a crane. Set up there was a block foundation laid with bolts the crane hoisted everything into place in one day a week later or so they moved in after all electrical and plumbing was connected. And I must say I was suitably impressed with the work. I dont remember the name of the company, but it was inthe DelMarVa area,,, Im sure you have one close to you

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Good on you my friend,, maybe look into the manufactured homes. A friend out side of Bethany Beach, had purchased one m it was a 2 story and they brought it in on 2 trailers and a crane. Set up there was a block foundation laid with bolts the crane hoisted everything into place in one day a week later or so they moved in after all electrical and plumbing was connected. And I must say I was suitably impressed with the work. I dont remember the name of the company, but it was inthe DelMarVa area,,, Im sure you have one close to you
The two stories are out of our budget 😱😱😱 Can't touch one of those here for less than $250k.

After talking to some builders about the Barndominium, and another about going stick built, we decided to go for a double wide.

To have something built, we would be looking at way over what we want to spend.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Did I miss the part about what Kubota should I buy? 🤔
Well six acres, that is at least M5-111, but more than likely he will need a M6 model, plus a skid steer and excavator to get the work done.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Well six acres, that is at least M5-111, but more than likely he will need a M6 model, plus a skid steer and excavator to get the work done.
You forgot the UTV, grapple, wood chipper, tiller, fork attachment, 3rd function valve...

Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
First thing - realize that it's not nearly as big as you think it is. 6 acres sounds big when you've only had a half acre city lot. It would be a good thing for you to get out there and walk it a bit.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
First thing - realize that it's not nearly as big as you think it is. 6 acres sounds big when you've only had a half acre city lot. It would be a good thing for you to get out there and walk it a bit.
I had 2 acres at the last house. It's 3 times bigger then what I had 😉😉

I grew up on 120 acres and only have been in the city for 1.5 years since we sold our last property.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Property appraisal and Title came back good on the property. Now it's hurry up and wait till closing.

Septic won't be able to be installed till late may or June since it's been so wet.

Perc test will be done this week weather permitting.

Water will be installed about 2 weeks after closing.

Haven't heard back yet on what the price is for setting the pole from the power company.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - -

Exciting time!! Good for you guys.

I was shocked a couple weeks ago when a building inspector friend of mine said up here new single wides were bringing $100k +/- .... just for the single wide.....:oops: :oops:

NYS Building Code changes in last 10-15 years now dictate concrete slabs, tie-downs, etc. which add another $15+/- to site work. Doesn't include sewage system, well, etc.

Double wide is likely money better spent. Better resale value.

Are there possibilities for Modular houses in Arkansas? They are often built quite well, since they have to drive the sections over the road...often similar construction to an on-site stick-built house. We looked at them 30++ years ago.

Obviously, for sewage system and water connection, you'll need to have an idea how/where you want house site to sit on the lot(s).

Is the water connection just placement of a Curb Box on your property from the water main, or are Curb Boxes already there?

In the near-term, that center property line might come into play when you're figuring out your site plan. Don't know how things work in AR.

In NYS, parcels can only be merged at certain periods of time, and they're finally merged 1x per year, before a Taxable Status date (March 1st in NYS). Just a caution, and I want you to be aware in case it pops up...took us about 18 months. (I already had part of my sewage system on the other lot....no sewage permits in required my Town....;))

Best to perc exactly where you want system to go in. While I used to know NYS sewage system codes real well, varies greatly in other places.

Looking at your pictures, the lots are pretty flat, but a little elevated from the road?? If so, up here that's a good thing..... Perc tests might not a problem at all.

As far as equipment, I can't see anything other than a Compact Tracked Loader.....Forestry Mulcher, grapple, Rock Hound, etc., etc...... ;) ;) ;) By the time he's 9, your grandson will be able to "dance" with it..:)

Again, good for you guys!!

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - -

Exciting time!! Good for you guys.

I was shocked a couple weeks ago when a building inspector friend of mine said up here new single wides were bringing $100k +/- .... :oops: :oops:

NYS Building Code changes in last 10-15 years now dictate concrete slabs, tie-downs, etc. which add another $15+/- to site work just for the mobile home. Doesn't include sewage system, well, etc.

Double wide is likely money better spent. Better resale value.

Are there possibilities for Modular houses in Arkansas? They are often built quite well, since they have to drive the sections over the road...often similar construction to an on-site stick-built house. We looked at them 30++ years ago.

Obviously, for sewage system and water connection, you'll need to have an idea how/where you want house site to sit on the lot(s).

Is the water connection just placement of a Curb Box on your property from the water main, or are Curb Boxes already there?

In the near-term, that center property line might come into play when you're figuring out your site plan. Don't know how things work in AR.

In NYS, parcels can only be merged at certain periods of time, and they're finally merged 1x per year, before a Taxable Status date (March 1st in NYS). Just a caution, and I want you to be aware in case it pops up...took us about 18 months. (I already had part of my sewage system on the other lot....no sewage permits in required my Town....;))

Best to perc exactly where you want system to go in. While I used to know NYS sewage system codes real well, varies greatly in other places.

Looking at your pictures, the lots are pretty flat, but a little elevated from the road?? If so, up here that's a good thing..... Perc tests might not a problem at all.

As far as equipment, I can't see anything other than a Compact Tracked Loader.....Forestry Mulcher, grapple, Rock Hound, etc., etc...... ;) ;) ;) By the time he's 9, your grandson will be able to "dance" with it..:)

Again, good for you guys!!
The higher end single wides are $100k, but we found 3 really nice doublewides for $130k.

We can't get a 1200sqft stick built or Barndominium for less than $180k 😱😱😱😱😱

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The higher end single wides are $100k, but we found 3 really nice doublewides for $130k.

We can't get a 1200sqft stick built or Barndominium for less than $180k 😱😱😱😱😱
Wow.....:oops:

Makes sense in my book. (y) (y)

When you say stick built, is that on-site, manufactured, or both?

If both, makes sense. When we looked a LONG time ago, a simple one-story modular was more expensive, but had more options for fixtures, utilities, etc. that drove cost up quite a bit.

I also had to Google Barndominium.....now I get all sorts of advertisements for Barndominiums, Garages, Garage Kits, Amish Sheds, etc.....😝

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wow.....:oops:

Makes sense in my book. (y) (y)

When you say stick built, is that on-site, manufactured, or both?

If both, makes sense. When we looked a LONG time ago, a simple one-story modular was more expensive, but had more options for fixtures, utilities, etc. that drove cost up quite a bit.

I also had to Google Barndominium.....now I get all sorts of advertisements for Barndominiums, Garages, Garage Kits, Amish Sheds, etc.....😝
If your referring to modular, they start at $240k. On-site stick built starts at $140/ sqft. Same for the barndominium. Builders are flat out still around here.