Just puchased 6 acres, now what??

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Like the title says. We just bought 6 acres a few miles from where we used to live. 👍👍👍👍

Now for the back story on this. We've been house hunting for over a year now with huge amounts of frustration and zero luck.

Our last option for a house that we were considering was a place our realtors husband bought to flip. House has a 30x40 shop with large bay doors. You could actually squeeze a semi in each one of the bays. 👍👍👍

I was madly in love with this shop. But the house was another matter entirely. The house will be super cute when they get done with it, since Megan has really good taste and her husband does good work.

I had actually offered to provide labor to keep the cost down on the reno.

But the huge issue was the master bathroom. It was super tiny. Little 3x3 shower, a sink/ tiny cabinet combo, and the commode. You literally had enough room for a couple tooth brushes and a soap dispenser on the counter top. Figured it would be a knock down drag out fight.

They are gonna steal some room from the master closet and increase the shower size. But still no storage. And with the house being on a slab. It would be a major undertaking to remodel the whole bathroom.

House was also on a main road in a really congested area so we passed on it.

Then this property popped up. 2 three acre lots side by side out in the sticks. Each lot is 200ft wide by just shy of 700' deep. Back side is a touch narrower. All wooded, but clearing isn't a problem.

A 10,000 lb mini excavator and thumb will take care of clearing a road in and opening it up. We are gonna leave a wooded buffer on the sides and back of the property. And realistally haven't decided on the front of the property. I'll take a week off after closing and punch a road in. Then start in the middle and work my way out. This way a good portion will be cleared out for the building and yard.

Now the dilemma 🤣😂🤣😂😂🤣😂

We went and looked at single wides and double wides yesterday. Priced those out. Ticked off a salesman in the process.

He was one of those yahoo's that focuses on payments, not price. I discuss price, becuase the payment will work itself out.

Then it went down hill from there when I pointed out the double wide he was showing us, was manufactured by his competitor who just so happened to be on the lot next door. We had just left the competitor and knew for a fact we could get that exact model for $30,000 less.

He said that they through in front and back decks. The "deck" dimensions were 4'x4' and 4'x8'.
I thought the dude was gonna lose it when my wife said "oh.... you supply a couple stoops" 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Gonna call a builder to price out a bardominium, ask about building loans, and walk me through the process.

The third option is to get a 16x40 awning, and a 20x30 shop dropped on the property and live in a camper for a while.

Power and water aren't a big deal. Power is across the street, and city water runs on our side of the street. So it's just a matter of getting a pole set for power, and water meter tapped in.

Property had a perk test done in 2020 along with a survey. Passed the perk test. So it's just a matter of having another perk test done. I should be able to find the spot where the previous perk test was done since the seller was kind enough to provide all the paperwork he had.

Closing is on March 20th.

Reactions: 9 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Congratulations and sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you!

Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Congratulations and sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you!
Like the title says. We just bought 6 acres a few miles from where we used to live. 👍👍👍👍

Now for the back story on this. We've been house hunting for over a year now with huge amounts of frustration and zero luck.

Our last option for a house that we were considering was a place our realtors husband bought to flip. House has a 30x40 shop with large bay doors. You could actually squeeze a semi in each one of the bays. 👍👍👍

I was madly in love with this shop. But the house was another matter entirely. The house will be super cute when they get done with it, since Megan has really good taste and her husband does good work.

I had actually offered to provide labor to keep the cost down on the reno.

But the huge issue was the master bathroom. It was super tiny. Little 3x3 shower, a sink/ tiny cabinet combo, and the commode. You literally had enough room for a couple tooth brushes and a soap dispenser on the counter top. Figured it would be a knock down drag out fight.

They are gonna steal some room from the master closet and increase the shower size. But still no storage. And with the house being on a slab. It would be a major undertaking to remodel the whole bathroom.

House was also on a main road in a really congested area so we passed on it.

Then this property popped up. 2 three acre lots side by side out in the sticks. Each lot is 200ft wide by just shy of 700' deep. Back side is a touch narrower. All wooded, but clearing isn't a problem.

A 10,000 lb mini excavator and thumb will take care of clearing a road in and opening it up. We are gonna leave a wooded buffer on the sides and back of the property. And realistally haven't decided on the front of the property. I'll take a week off after closing and punch a road in. Then start in the middle and work my way out. This way a good portion will be cleared out for the building and yard.

Now the dilemma 🤣😂🤣😂😂🤣😂

We went and looked at single wides and double wides yesterday. Priced those out. Ticked off a salesman in the process.

He was one of those yahoo's that focuses on payments, not price. I discuss price, becuase the payment will work itself out.

Then it went down hill from there when I pointed out the double wide he was showing us, was manufactured by his competitor who just so happened to be on the lot next door. We had just left the competitor and knew for a fact we could get that exact model for $30,000 less.

He said that they through in front and back decks. The "deck" dimensions were 4'x4' and 4'x8'.
I thought the dude was gonna lose it when my wife said "oh.... you supply a couple stoops" 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Gonna call a builder to price out a bardominium, ask about building loans, and walk me through the process.

The third option is to get a 16x40 awning, and a 20x30 shop dropped on the property and live in a camper for a while.

Power and water aren't a big deal. Power is across the street, and city water runs on our side of the street. So it's just a matter of getting a pole set for power, and water meter tapped in.

Property had a perk test done in 2020 along with a survey. Passed the perk test. So it's just a matter of having another perk test done. I should be able to find the spot where the previous perk test was done since the seller was kind enough to provide all the paperwork he had.

Closing is on March 20th.
Congrats DT, hope everything works out for you folks.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Congratulations on the upcoming purchase. I really like the sound of a bardominium, best of both worlds.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Congratulations on the property.

I have seen the “barndominium” style done a couple of ways
first is the steel building is completely built with walls and then the interior is finished out so it looks like a metal building from the outside.
second is to just build the roof and columns of a metal structure (think pavilion) then build a stick structure underneath the roof and use the area underneath the roof as the mechanical room and attic space. I think you should consider closed cell foam insulation in the roof and walls to seal it up really well (if the contractor does it properly )

Do you have any idea on what kind you would be doing yet?

Having overhangs for a wraparound porch is nice and makes it look like a house instead of a building to me. Use wide steps with low rise so the are easy to get up and down and you don’t need a handrail.

I suggest you also think about making it age proof with wide doors and eliminating curbs in the bathroom since you are building from scratch.

Good luck and hire a good general contractor that you won’t mind not being friendly with at the end of the build.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Personally I never go to bars, preferring to have a beer at home. BUT I never heard the term bardominium before...Sounds interesting. I will have to google it...:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Congratulations on the property.

I have seen the “barndominium” style done a couple of ways
first is the steel building is completely built with walls and then the interior is finished out so it looks like a metal building from the outside.
second is to just build the roof and columns of a metal structure (think pavilion) then build a stick structure underneath the roof and use the area underneath the roof as the mechanical room and attic space. I think you should consider closed cell foam insulation in the roof and walls to seal it up really well (if the contractor does it properly )

Do you have any idea on what kind you would be doing yet?

Having overhangs for a wraparound porch is nice and makes it look like a house instead of a building to me. Use wide steps with low rise so the are easy to get up and down and you don’t need a handrail.

I suggest you also think about making it age proof with wide doors and eliminating curbs in the bathroom since you are building from scratch.

Good luck and hire a good general contractor that you won’t mind not being friendly with at the end of the build.
Age proof was already on the cards since my wife's 15 years from retirement and I'm not much further behind her.

I'm gonna call a local builder and find out the info on the barndominums, have them email me a few floor plans and discuss budget, explain building loans, ect.... since it's a first for both of us.

Then depending on that info, we'll sit down and figure out which way we want to go with it.

Budgets crucial with what the current interest rates are at the moment and we want yo keep the price down so we can pay it off fast.

We've already discussed overhangs for porches. I would like a decent one for the back and front at least. The back, so we can eventually turn it into a heated and cooled sunroom at some point.

A heated and cooled sun porch with doggy door makes it so handy. Let the pooches out onto the sunporch when you leave. They have a temperature controlled place to get out of the rain or heat. And can go potty when they need too.

Also helps keep any critters from sneaking into the main house through a doggy door. 👍👍👍👍👍

We are looking for a small 2 bed two bath, doesn't have to have the garage space either. I can get a 20x30 shop installed with slab for around $15k.

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Personally I never go to bars, preferring to have a beer at home. BUT I never heard the term bardominium before...Sounds interesting. I will have to google it...:)
It's a steel building home. They put up a steel building, then frame off the living space inside. Plumb for water and septic before pouring the slab.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's some picks of the property. Clearing won't be too bad. Found the flagging for the side property lines. I'll have to take a 300ft tape over there and measure between the flagging though. I'm not sure if one line is the flagging down the middle property line for the two lots, or if it's the outer property lines for both lots.

20230226_104002.jpg
20230226_103955.jpg

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It's a steel building home. They put up a steel building, then frame off the living space inside. Plumb for water and septic before pouring the slab.
I heard the term BARNdominium before. Was just having some fun with your typo of BARdominium... :ROFLMAO:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Another idea is to have a contractor build you a 2 or 3 car garage on slab…then you can install interior walls to create bathroom, bedroom, kitchen etc…. to live in while you build your main house….later converting the garage into a garage/workshop.

A family member did it that way using his Tx Veterans’ Land benefits, which paid for the land, the garage, and improvements at ridiculous low interest. (His bank paid more interest on his checking acct than the loan charged).

Just a suggestion for you or others to consider.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Im in
Another idea is to have a contractor build you a 2 or 3 car garage on slab…then you can install interior walls to create bathroom, bedroom, kitchen etc…. to live in while you build your main house….later converting the garage into a garage/workshop.

A family member did it that way using his Tx Veterans’ Land benefits, which paid for the land, the garage, and improvements at ridiculous low interest. (His bank paid more interest on his checking acct than the loan charged).

Just a suggestion for you or others to consider.
Yep, that's one way. I knew a guy in Texas that lived in the two bedroom garage he built, then built their three bedroom house.

Building codes may dictate. I was considering a barndominium until I talked to the local building authorities. They're lax on outbuildings (pretty much anything goes), but occupied (does it have a bedroom?) space has to be per code. Since I'm considering 2400 sf of shop/garage, having it part of an occupied building would make the cost much higher. So I'm going to try to build a shop first, then a house, hopefully.

Varies with locale.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - - just a thought regarding codes, etc.

Since you have 2-3 acre lots, there is that center property line/boundary between the two lots, and you own both. But it's still a "property line" in Land Records at the County, or wherever Land Records/Surveys, etc. are kept in your area.

Unless you merge the 2 lots, local codes might require the driveway, house, etc. be placed away from that center property line. On other words, all your building improvements can/could only be viewed as they fit on the parcel they're made on.

In theory, one lot could be sold separately from the other, then your house/sewage system/well (?) might not meet setback requirements from that center line. Saw a fire hydrant in the picture, so assume a well isn't required.

Our 7 acres were in 3 parcels after we bought the property next door. I extended my sewage system over the "line" into the new lot. We don't have sanitation codes, so I do what I want.

Later, I merged that parcel with the house parcel....no property line anymore.

Also have an adjoining parcel over the village boundary in the Town, nothing I can do with that.

Not sure how things work in your area of Arkansas. Only want to give you a heads up that it could be an issue in the future.

For me to merge the lot next door was a very simple form that I signed. Next thing I know, there was 1 tax bill versus 2........

Again, not sure it's going to be a problem. Just want you aware in advance, so you're not surprised later on.

Might be worth checking into. I had to deal with quite of a few of these when I was in the Health Department, where wells and sewage systems weren't on the correct parcel, or couple where the house was 10 feet over the "line."

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - - just a thought regarding codes, etc.

Since you have 2-3 acre lots, there is that center property line/boundary between the two lots, and you own both. But it's still a "property line" in Land Records at the County, or wherever Land Records/Surveys, etc. are kept in your area.

Unless you merge the 2 lots, local codes might require the driveway, house, etc. be placed away from that center property line. On other words, all your building improvements can/could only be viewed as they fit on the parcel they're made on.

In theory, one lot could be sold separately from the other, then your house/sewage system/well (?) might not meet setback requirements from that center line. Saw a fire hydrant in the picture, so assume a well isn't required.

Our 7 acres were in 3 parcels after we bought the property next door. I extended my sewage system over the "line" into the new lot. We don't have sanitation codes, so I do what I want.

Later, I merged that parcel with the house parcel....no property line anymore.

Also have an adjoining parcel over the village boundary in the Town, nothing I can do with that.

Not sure how things work in your area of Arkansas. Only want to give you a heads up that it could be an issue in the future.

For me to merge the lot next door was a very simple form that I signed. Next thing I know, there was 1 tax bill versus 2........

Again, not sure it's going to be a problem. Just want you aware in advance, so you're not surprised later on.

Might be worth checking into. I had to deal with quite of a few of these when I was in the Health Department, where wells and sewage systems weren't on the correct parcel, or couple where the house was 10 feet over the "line."
I had already considered having both properties rolled into one.

I do have a copy of the permit/ perk test that was done with the approved septic plan. Everything looks to have been approved for the up hill lot before.

After looking at how the land slopes, I understand why, and I plan to follow similarly.

The plan showed the secondary build site as needing a lift station added just to get the waste water up hill to the leach field site.

Once I saw how the land sloped, I understood why they wanted the leach field placed where it was and why the feed line from the septic tank had a curve in it.

They also had the city water on the plan, and that was shown that they wanted it run along the edge of the driveway. City water is on the same side of the street as the lot. So all they need to do is tap in for a meter.

I might get lucky when I call them and find out that a meter is already there 🤞🤞🤞🤞

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Now the dilemma
I'm not sure I follow, but good luck.

If you just want something to live in on the weekend, consider a TT. Unless you need to do something in a hurry, I'd take my time. I'm reading that the building is slowing down which should make it easier to find a good contractor. Some things like water/septic/power might be worth going now since they take quite a bit of time.