Just puchased 6 acres, now what??

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, around here the power company will set a transformer for you if you're over a specific distance from their line. Property owner is responsible for burying conduit to the transformer. They put their wire in the conduit and into the transformer. Owner is responsible for everything from the transformer to meter can at house.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - -

Exciting time!! Good for you guys.

I was shocked a couple weeks ago when a building inspector friend of mine said up here new single wides were bringing $100k +/- .... just for the single wide.....:oops: :oops:

NYS Building Code changes in last 10-15 years now dictate concrete slabs, tie-downs, etc. which add another $15+/- to site work. Doesn't include sewage system, well, etc.

Double wide is likely money better spent. Better resale value.

Are there possibilities for Modular houses in Arkansas? They are often built quite well, since they have to drive the sections over the road...often similar construction to an on-site stick-built house. We looked at them 30++ years ago.

Obviously, for sewage system and water connection, you'll need to have an idea how/where you want house site to sit on the lot(s).

Is the water connection just placement of a Curb Box on your property from the water main, or are Curb Boxes already there?

In the near-term, that center property line might come into play when you're figuring out your site plan. Don't know how things work in AR.

In NYS, parcels can only be merged at certain periods of time, and they're finally merged 1x per year, before a Taxable Status date (March 1st in NYS). Just a caution, and I want you to be aware in case it pops up...took us about 18 months. (I already had part of my sewage system on the other lot....no sewage permits in required my Town....;))

Best to perc exactly where you want system to go in. While I used to know NYS sewage system codes real well, varies greatly in other places.

Looking at your pictures, the lots are pretty flat, but a little elevated from the road?? If so, up here that's a good thing..... Perc tests might not a problem at all.

As far as equipment, I can't see anything other than a Compact Tracked Loader.....Forestry Mulcher, grapple, Rock Hound, etc., etc...... ;) ;) ;) By the time he's 9, your grandson will be able to "dance" with it..:)

Again, good for you guys!!
Permanent foundation here adds about $3500 for a single wide, $4500 for a doublewide. If the doublewide has tape and drywall instead of paneling, the percent foundation if figured in.

We're planning to go with a permanent foundation with underpinning no matter which way we decide to go. Financing is much easier and it qualifies for a conventional mortgage when you try to sell.

It also makes it easier to refinance later on when the interest rates drop.

I got a hold of the person that did the original perc test and permit on the property 3 years ago.

If we stick to the original build site from 3 years ago, he doesn't need to dig new pits. It's just a matter of drawing it up again, shoot the grade again and stake it back out.

Saves us $400.

Original build site was 300ft off the road, smack dab in the middle of both lots.

That was our plan as well with the property. Set back off the road a good ways, smack dab in the center, so we have plenty of elbow room on either side.

I'm gonna get a skidsteer out there first with the brush cutter. The forestry mulcher is extremely prohibitive to rent 😱😱😱😱

Lot is mostly scrub that can be cleared with a tractor and rotary cutter.

I'll take a week off after I hit it with the skidsteer. Get a trackhoe and thumb to deal with the trees that need to be thinned.

It's much faster to dig around the tree to cut the roots and then shove the tree over. Removes the stump the same time the tree comes down. 😎😎😎😎😎

Once the trees are down, I'll saw the root balls off the bottoms and stack the ones that are good for firewood.

I'll throw the root balls, and the rest in piles to burn.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If your referring to modular, they start at $240k. On-site stick built starts at $140/ sqft. Same for the barndominium. Builders are flat out still around here.
Wow....I still agree with your thought process. (y)

Yes, I was thinking modular.

What are the specs for mobile home installations in AR?

What are the seller's services, obligations, etc, in regard to the home's installation?

Are the home set-up requirements (e.g., tie-downs, pads, pillars, piers, etc. as required) included, or offered additionally as part the home purchase?

Some retailers here used to do ALL site work for home installation, but didn't do sewage system and well. Knew regs, etc. Were convenient for the purchaser.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, around here the power company will set a transformer for you if you're over a specific distance from their line. Property owner is responsible for burying conduit to the transformer. They put their wire in the conduit and into the transformer. Owner is responsible for everything from the transformer to meter can at house.
That's good to know. I figured it was something similar. I'm just waiting for the engineer to call me back so I can find out the particulars.

I'll have to really pay attention to my side of the road. There is a driveway next door that goes back to a home. So I'll have to see where they get power from.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds like Daren is similar to us....the Power Company can set one pole, maybe for a price, but it's yours after that. Everything overhead, transformer is on another pole in the right of way.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wow....I still agree with your thought process. (y)

Yes, I was thinking modular.

What are the specs for mobile home installations in AR?

What are the seller's services, obligations, etc, in regard to the home's installation?

Are the home set-up requirements (e.g., tie-downs, pads, pillars, piers, etc. as required) included, or offered additionally as part the home purchase?

Some retailers here used to do ALL site work for home installation, but didn't do sewage system and well. Knew regs, etc. Were convenient for the purchaser.
They handle installation, hooking it up, hooking up the ac unit, setting it on the foundation. I just have to have power, septic and water.

They hook up the water, I just have to get the line run from the meter to their desired spot. Same for the meter as well as the septic.

Site improvement (driveway, clearing, etc) is on me

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sounds like Daren is similar to us....the Power Company can set one pole, maybe for a price, but it's yours after that. Everything overhead, transformer is in another pole in the right of way.
Once a pole or transformer is set, I'll trench and run the pipe to the meter. I want the bulk underground anyway. Same with water. I'll trench that in and run the lines myself.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Permanent foundation here adds about $3500 for a single wide, $4500 for a doublewide. If the doublewide has tape and drywall instead of paneling, the percent foundation if figured in.

We're planning to go with a permanent foundation with underpinning no matter which way we decide to go. Financing is much easier and it qualifies for a conventional mortgage when you try to sell.

Daren - - - you and I were typing at same time. You were 3 minutes ahead of me. 😝

You answered most of my questions before I asked them. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
They handle installation, hooking it up, hooking up the ac unit, setting it on the foundation. I just have to have power, septic and water.

They hook up the water, I just have to get the line run from the meter to their desired spot. Same for the meter as well as the septic.

Site improvement (driveway, clearing, etc) is on me

Any site improvement (driveway, land clearing, etc....) is on me.

I'm responsible for power, water, and septic to the home. They will install it on the foundation, and handle all the hookups. Basic footers are covered, it will cost me an extra $4500 for permanent foundation and underpinning.

They hookup the AC unit and install the skirting also.
Perfect - - that sounds like a good great arrangement. (y)

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Might want to think long term. Up here stick built tend to appreciate while mods have a lower appreciation and double wides and singles depreciate pretty darn fast.
I have great memories of our first "real" home that was an old single.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent on getting a place.
A note from us, spend as much time as you can getting a feel for it before you set things in stone.
We changed our plans quite a few times before we figured out what would be our best approach to things.
House moved quite a few times.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Just to spend somebody else's money. A really good plat of the property when you are done adds a lot to the resale value way down the road. Having the power lines, septic locations, well head and lines on the plat really does add to the resale value.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On a home they're bringing in you'll probably be required to have a pedestal near the house to mount the meter on.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On a home they're bringing in you'll probably be required to have a pedestal near the house to mount the meter on.
Yup, usually a 6x6 or 8x8 post from what I've seen.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yup, usually a 6x6 or 8x8 post from what I've seen.
Double check as up here they have changed it to schedule 40 steel posts and Unistrut!
It all depends on the Utility Company.

If your anything like me, I bet your going to be really happy after the sticker shock of it all wears off!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Double check as up here they have changed it to schedule 40 steel posts and Unistrut!
It all depends on the Utility Company.

If your anything like me, I bet your going to be really happy after the sticker shock of it all wears off!
We didn't really get sticker shock on this one. The sticker shock was the quotes for a stick built home or Barndominium. Double and single wides have dropped considerably in price recently.

We looked two years ago and the starting price was $220k. Last weekend we looked at a couple cheap 3 bed 2 bath for $100k. The three we like are between $120 and $130k.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We didn't really get sticker shock on this one. The sticker shock was the quotes for a stick built home or Barndominium. Double and single wides have dropped considerably in price recently.

We looked two years ago and the starting price was $220k. Last weekend we looked at a couple cheap 3 bed 2 bath for $100k. The three we like are between $120 and $130k.
It's always nice when you can get out of renting!

Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's always nice when you can get out of renting!
That is a definite. 😁😁😁😁 The neighborhood we're in has been slowly emptying. Of course it's also has some of the higher priced rentals in the city.

Some neighbors got themselves on a waiting list with the property manager to move to cheaper accommodations when they became available. Others are either building or buying. Either way, this neighborhood is emptying out. And they just barely finished building it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

It also makes it easier to refinance later on when the interest rates drop.

I got a hold of the person that did the original perc test and permit on the property 3 years ago.

If we stick to the original build site from 3 years ago, he doesn't need to dig new pits. It's just a matter of drawing it up again, shoot the grade again and stake it back out.

Saves us $400.

Original build site was 300ft off the road, smack dab in the middle of both lots.

That was our plan as well with the property. Set back off the road a good ways, smack dab in the center, so we have plenty of elbow room on either side.

I'm gonna get a skidsteer out there first with the brush cutter. The forestry mulcher is extremely prohibitive to rent 😱😱😱😱

Lot is mostly scrub that can be cleared with a tractor and rotary cutter.

I'll take a week off after I hit it with the skidsteer. Get a trackhoe and thumb to deal with the trees that need to be thinned.

It's much faster to dig around the tree to cut the roots and then shove the tree over. Removes the stump the same time the tree comes down. 😎😎😎😎😎

Once the trees are down, I'll saw the root balls off the bottoms and stack the ones that are good for firewood.

I'll throw the root balls, and the rest in piles to burn.

You have a "neighbor" out there that does a lot of skidsteer work. Reed's. Don't know if you know him or not but they're still doing it. Good bunch of guys, worked for them quite a bit especially in the 1990's and 2000's when they were going all over the USA doing landscaping. If you talk to him tell him I referred ya. Southern lawn may have a skidsteer too but I haven't talked with him outside of his Polaris stuff since about 2020.