Just puchased 6 acres, now what??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea, never cut too many down, takes too dang long for them to grow back!

This from a guy that has way too many trees on his place! 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌲🌲🌲🌲🌳🌳🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yea, never cut too many down, takes too dang long for them to grow back!

This from a guy that has way too many trees on his place! 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌲🌲🌲🌲🌳🌳🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲
I have a few large oaks that need to come down. But almost done taking down the trees. Cleared area will get turned into lawn and fenced for the pooch. About 1 acre, probably a touch more.

Taking the trees back far enough from the build site so it won't be a danger from falling on the house, shop, or camper.

We were looking at double wides till the lenders started throwing in $10k to 17k in fees 😱😱😱 I told them to pound sand. The company looking at $17k in fees wouldn't send me the info in writing. I was actually fixing to turn them over to the states attorneys office for price gouging.

I'm gonna have the septic installed once it dries out enough. Water meter can get installed at anytime. I'll have the septic permit today. Then we can start moving forward.

We're gonna have an 18x40 carport w/ slab installed for an RV. As well as a 30x40 shop installed for storage.

Later, we will have rough in done for plumbing and a 30x40 slab poured. Then get a steel building installed on that for a Barndominium. Then we will frame and install the interior as we see fit.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a few large oaks that need to come down. But almost done taking down the trees. Cleared area will get turned into lawn and fenced for the pooch. About 1 acre, probably a touch more.

Taking the trees back far enough from the build site so it won't be a danger from falling on the house, shop, or camper.

We were looking at double wides till the lenders started throwing in $10k to 17k in fees 😱😱😱 I told them to pound sand. The company looking at $17k in fees wouldn't send me the info in writing. I was actually fixing to turn them over to the states attorneys office for price gouging.

I'm gonna have the septic installed once it dries out enough. Water meter can get installed at anytime. I'll have the septic permit today. Then we can start moving forward.

We're gonna have an 18x40 carport w/ slab installed for an RV. As well as a 30x40 shop installed for storage.

Later, we will have rough in done for plumbing and a 30x40 slab poured. Then get a steel building installed on that for a Barndominium. Then we will frame and install the interior as we see fit.
Sounds like you have an excellent plan!
Heating everything is probably not much concern for you is it?
It's cooling that is more of a concern?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sounds like you have an excellent plan!
Heating everything is probably not much concern for you is it?
It's cooling that is more of a concern?
Cooling and heating are issues in this area. We do get cold snaps down to 0°f. But then we get Temps up to 130° in the summer.

Both aren't two big of a deal. They've come a long way with heat pumps. We will probably figure in a pellet stove for supplemental heat in the winter as well as back up heat for when the power goes out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cooling and heating are issues in this area. We do get cold snaps down to 0°f. But then we get Temps up to 130° in the summer.

Both aren't two big of a deal. They've come a long way with heat pumps. We will probably figure in a pellet stove for supplemental heat in the winter as well as back up heat for when the power goes out.
Our place is all Hydronic, (slab) heating and cooling.
Heating is awesome, constant heat all winter, open a door and temps don't fluctuate like a air heated home.
Garage is 30 x35 and heated/ super nice to work in there!
Open doors and close doors and heat rebounds quick!

Last year was our first summer in this house and the hottest it got was one day 71 inside, when it was 103 outside.
Normal average was 66 inside.
We don't even have the cooling (ground loop and exchanger) hooked up and running yet.

You can do a hybrid system for fairly cheap to do all of your DMH and Heating in one unit, and they are super efficient.
Just thought I would mention it as something to think about, as the investment is small and the pay off is huge.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Heating is awesome, constant heat all winter, open a door and temps don't fluctuate like a air heated home.

Last year was our first summer in this house and the hottest it got was one day 71 inside, when it was 103 outside.
We don't even have the cooling (ground loop and exchanger) hooked up and running yet.

You can do a hybrid system for fairly cheap to do all of your DMH and Heating in one unit, and they are super efficient.
Just thought I would mention it as something to think about, as the investment is small and the pay off is huge.
Around here you would be hard pressed to find someone to install it. And if they did, it would be $$$$$$.

Geothermal is the same way. Very pricy up front, and good luck finding someone to fix it if it breaks.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

We also have hydronic in floor including the garage. Its really nice up in the mountains. We have a few mini splits for cooling deep in the Summer, but 95% of the year they arent needed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Around here you would be hard pressed to find someone to install it. And if they did, it would be $$$$$$.

Geothermal is the same way. Very pricy up front, and good luck finding someone to fix it if it breaks.
Sorry, I didn't think about it that way, I did all my own work so it didn't cost me very much.

20190629_190246.jpg

20190629_190141.jpg

20190722_193004.jpg

20190724_193144.jpg

20210921_125146.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sorry, I didn't think about it that way, I did all my own work so it didn't cost me very much.

View attachment 100268

View attachment 100269

View attachment 100270

View attachment 100271

View attachment 100272
Our place is only gonna be either 1200sqft, or 1500sqft. 2 bed, 2 bath either way. Just depends on if there are any specials on steel buildings when we get ready to purchase.

We'll either go with a multi zone mini split or have a traditional heat pump installed.

Anyone can work on them around here 😁😁😁😁

I do plan on a pellet stove being installed. As well as a generator tie in.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Our place is only gonna be either 1200sqft, or 1500sqft. 2 bed, 2 bath either way. Just depends on if there are any specials on steel buildings when we get ready to purchase.

We'll either go with a multi zone mini split or have a traditional heat pump installed.

Anyone can work on them around here 😁😁😁😁

I do plan on a pellet stove being installed. As well as a generator tie in.
If you were closer I'd give you a really nice pellet stove.
We bought it for the new house, used it in the trailer, then the new house didn't need it.
I might put it in the next shop as a quick heat burst.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Consider putting in a whole house dehumidifier since the air conditioner will probably not be running as much as normal if you seal and insulate it well. You can also use the dehumidifier for air exchange as well.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Both properties are rolled.into 1 👍👍👍

Wife will run over Tuesday to finish up getting our account set up with the water department. I had the bulk of it set up, but the manager through a fit that our address wasn't listed on our perc test. Had the legal description and GPS coordinates. But that wasn't good enough 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Had to have the contractor who performed the perc test write the address in, initial it, and email it to them. They recieved it after closing. So it's just a matter of turning over our paperwork, them pri ting off the copy with the address written in, giving them a check for the meter install, permit, and hookup fee. Then in about 10 days we'll have water on the property.

Still getting quotes for the septic install. 1 guy was booked up and can't get to it. Another guy came in super high 😳😳😳 so we're hoping to get s couple more bids with a more reasonable price.

Started knocking down small stuff and then bulldozing my way through an area with the push mower. The briar are so thick, I got fed up with them snagging my boots while I'm clearing out there. The added bonus of using the push mower, is I'll definitely be able to go through the arra with the zero turn without issue.

20230527_114228.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - what a the design of the sewage system?