Is there a best time of year to buy?

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I'm new at this tractor thing and in the market for an L3800. Does Kubota have model years like cars, where the new model year comes in and they give discounts to clear out the old models? Just wondering if there's a "best time" of the year to buy, or is it all about the same? Thanks!

-- Carl

Fredhargis

Equipment
B2920, FEL, BH, MMM, tiller, grader, snowthrower
Jan 7, 2011
Waynesfield, OH
More of a casual observation than an in depth study, but it looked to me like they offered more options (0% financing, larger rebates and such) in the spring sales than at other times. They don't do model year changeovers, though you might run across a discontinued model from time time with a little extra discount. One thing I tried was to buy used (private sellers, not the dealer) and at least around me, there just weren't that many being offered, and the discount wasn't enough to make it worthwhile.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'm new at this tractor thing and in the market for an L3800. Does Kubota have model years like cars, where the new model year comes in and they give discounts to clear out the old models? Just wondering if there's a "best time" of the year to buy, or is it all about the same? Thanks!

-- Carl

No model years, just model numbers. No time better, but now is a good time to get a Orange tractor. :cool:

parkgt

Equipment
8200d, B3200
Aug 26, 2012
West AR
When the dealer has several of the model you are interested in and you have a lower quote from a competitor.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
No model years, just model numbers. No time better, but now is a good time to get a Orange tractor. :cool:
Now is a good time to get a model that has set around for a little while. Many of the models are coming out with tier 4 engine/emissions management, with higher prices to match. So, you may find a tractor that has been on the lot for a while, but isn't the next generation. They will cost less, use less fuel, and be less money in the long run to maintain.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Best time of year is ahen Kubota offers 0% financing.

The most important thing is to find a good dealer. That will be the difference in the final price. No matter what time of year a bad dealer will screw you over. If you're not in a hurry to buy try this.

When you see somebody with a Kubota in their yard stop and talk to them. Ask them to recomend a dealer. Yeah, you may run into a few A-holes that tell you to get steppin but for every one of those you'll find 3 or 4 owners willing to give good advise. I have people ask me about mine pretty often. I'm always glad to talk tractors.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Thanks for the advice, guys. I have learned a lot searching the forum, there is a wealth of information here. Looking forward to being "in the club" soon.

-- Carl

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
May not help but I just saw a ad for a L3800, 4wd, loader, 5' box scrape, 5' rotary cutter, sitting on 18' 7T trailer, dual brakes with chains and binders for $21,700.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
May not help but I just saw a ad for a L3800, 4wd, loader, 5' box scrape, 5' rotary cutter, sitting on 18' 7T trailer, dual brakes with chains and binders for $21,700.
Thanks, good reminder to keep checking out the ads for price comparison. The most popular price seems to be "call". :)

Is it a better strategy to bundle tractor and attachments from a dealer all in one transaction, or purchase them separately?

-- Carl

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It helps to bundle them if your making payments on all of it.
I agree, that way you get the same finance rate on the implements. Another plus it gives you some room to negotiate a better deal. Of course a fast talking saleman can use all the numbers against you just as easy.

My advise bundle or not, do your homework and be a prepaired buyer. Know what you want when you go to the dealer and be ready to strike as soon as the sales BS starts. In most cases a informed buyer that knows what they want and what it should cost will throw the salesman of their game and you will end up with a better deal.

Salesman are like Doctors: they are not your friend, they just want your money. :mad: :D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
"Salesman are like Doctors: they are not your friend, they just want your money."

I thought that was Amsoil dealers;)
Sorry, Bulldog, I couldn't let that opportunity pass. Really, I was just kidding. Don't hate me.
Actually, our family doctor is a very close friend of ours. If there was ever anybody that I knew personally who helps people without money or thanks, it's him. He still does a house call, lets you in the back door of the office so you don't have to pay up front or wait months for an appointment, or answers questions outside of the office. He is a genuine, good old fashioned doctor. I lead a team with him every year to Haiti, to do medical clinics.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hodge, there's an exception to every rule. I know a couple of doctors like what you are talking about. I also know a few salesmen that still care about their customers needs.

That being said, in general I believe my previous statement holds true.

"Don't hate me" , you must be kidding. I thought you knew me better than that. It would take more than some ribbing to get me going and even then I would never hate you. :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

-- Carl
Like other have said, ZERO percent interest is hard to pass up, my dealer told me that he could only knock off about $500 or so if cash was used. ZERO % is worth $500 over five years......and I say this with 60 more payments due! :rolleyes: