I'm in love and need objective opinion

orangelegacy

Equipment
B8200
Jan 10, 2015
ontaro
I have my hand on the trigger for a B8200 that is being sold at a dealership locally. The asking price is $5000.00. It is HST, 4WD, with mid and rear PTO. The weird thing about it is that it is painted red! The salesman told me that this was how they painted them back in the day(late 70's or early 80's), but I'm very sceptical about that explanation.

Anyway, the colour aside, it appears to be in very good condition with 827 hrs on the meter. (By the way, is there any way of knowing if that is 1827 or more?). Good rubber, all original decals, however there is no ROPS. I wonder if it was just removed, or does the lack of an ROPS help to date the year of manufacture? I don't have the serial numbers with me.

The tractor is parked outside the dealership, and when he tried to start it, the engine turned, but did not start. However, that day the temperature was close to minus 20 celsius (minus four fahrenheit for the yankees out there) with the wind chill. I think it would have started if it was sheltered and hooked up to a pan heater.

I am going to try to post some pics, but was wondering about members' feedback.

Thanks,

c

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think your salesman is very good at not telling the truth if he said this, " The salesman told me that this was how they painted them back in the day(late 70's or early 80's),..."

I purchased a B8200 in 1985 new from dealer. Never saw anything RED on the lot. They also had a rental yard and bought Kubotas by the containers.

Your salesman is trying to make it sound stock/normal/unmodified. Might want to question other comments he makes about machines because he displays evidence of not knowing facts.

I'd have him reduce the price, simply because you did your homework and he didn't! Get a quote on a repaint, let him know you don't want a cobbled looking tractor, and how much your estimate is and start dealing!!

Red doesn't matter, if you're satisfied, but it's not a Kubota color. In the years he mentioned Yanmar was red.

orangelegacy

Equipment
B8200
Jan 10, 2015
ontaro
No doubt a strange thing for a supposedly knowledgeable salesman to say. I asked if there were any service records and I am quoting his reply here:

"Ok I did check have them check the store records and we have 3 work orders . The first was in Septmeber 2011 and it had 820 hrs on it for installing the front weights and topping up some fluid levels and installing a new fuel cap . Then in May 31, 2013 . 850 hrs we had it in for a oil change and a bunch of filters. The last work order has in for just some linkage for the 3 point hitch and it did not have any recorded hrs on the workorder. It may have been a service call ????..."

I also have a picture of the tractor for comments.

Thanks,

c

http://www.andersonequipment.ca/belleville_equip/kubota_b820b.html

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
post the pictures here. Just scroll down the page where you type in your response and use the [Manage Attachments] button to attach images from your computer (or even from the web)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Some of the B8200 were more red than orange, but that looks really red.
Most of the "red" B8200 were overseas models, Not a grey tractor, just meant of other markets.
I can't believe a dealer would even sell a tractor without a ROPS.
The B8200 are covered by the ROPS program through Kubota corporation, http://www.kubota.com/safety/RolloverProtectiveStructures.aspx , So tell them to get a ROPS for it as part of the sale.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Ok, thanks coachgeo. Here is a picture.

c
It looks too clean to be that old, the paint isn't even faded. Someone gave that a paint job and was color blind :rolleyes:. Looks like a nice clean tractor from the picture! Definitely call the dealer on his BS and beat him down on the price, although I wouldn't buy unless it runs. If everything seems to be there and is in good shape I would jump on it!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It does look clean, but looks can be deceiving. I would go over it with a fine-tooth comb, or take someone with you know knows tractors real well. I don't think that the price is out of line, if the tractor is original (except for paint) and those are the actual hours.

orangelegacy

Equipment
B8200
Jan 10, 2015
ontaro
Thanks for the link North Idaho. I will definitely pursue the ROPS as part of any deal. The promotional prices are phenomenal as well. (I can't believe this wasn't mentioned to me---I just want to make sure this promotion applies to Canada as well---stranger things have happened north of the 49th parallel.) I'm going to tentatively assume the tractor is pre-1985 because of the ROPS implementation after that date by Kubota.

I also want to have a real tractor guy or perhaps a diesel mechanic take a look before I purchase. I'll also see if i can get an estimate for a kubota orange paint job and before we start negotiating the price.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful input so far,

c

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
...I'll also see if i can get an estimate for a kubota orange paint job and before we start negotiating the price.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful input so far,

c
IMHO if your going for collector purposes the correct orange paint demand may be worth it. Doubtfull though cause they will not do it with any real care to do it correctly. Otherwise if the paint; though not correct tinge, is doing job of protecting metal...... who gives a shiat if the price is right. Might try to talk seller down some if you claim you'll need to take time to repaint to correct orange for collector purpose though?

orangelegacy

Equipment
B8200
Jan 10, 2015
ontaro
The colour is not that important to me. Still it is an obvious negotiating point to me, which is probably why he brought it up in the first place and quickly mentioned that it is the factory colour(and therefore original). The ROPS is wayyyyy more important than the colour, and I don't actually mind the red.

c

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
On my monitor it shows pretty close to Kubota Orange II. Might have been the color balance on your camera?

Looks an awful lot like a re-spray to the new color. Or, a color close to the new color that was cheaper than Kubota paint.

???

orangelegacy

Equipment
B8200
Jan 10, 2015
ontaro
kubota orange 11. Never heard of that, but also good to know. As for the monitor or the camera, I've seen it with my own eyes, and it looks just like in the picture. I think you're on to something though because the paint job looks professional, only with a lot more red tint than orange.

c

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That tractor is a stock (factory) paint job!
If you do a search of that model you will notice a lot of them that are more red than orange, it was when they changed paint from Kubota Orange #1 to Kubota Orange #2, this is neither, call it a factory OOPS!
They most likely all came out of the same production plant that didn't quite have the formula for the paints color right. ;)