I'm an idiot and lost my keys. Now what?

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
This probably only should have been a few posts but wow what a conversation. Ray fix and your definitely not an idiot or the first to loose your tractor key. Now that you’ve got a replacement I’m sure your original will pop up.
I’ll join and explain the rv trailer lock conversations if it’s started in off topic trailer lock talk. Lol
I own a campground so I got a bit of knowledge on this subject. Non of what’s posted above is entirely true regarding keys Lmao

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Well, It's a fact that some door lock keys are different in the way you just can't go down to the hardware store and make a copy. I have a master door key that fits all the church doors. I was told you can't get copies made locally and I wondered why because it looks typical to most door deadbolt keys. after reading one post here about thickness I grabbed my trusty micrometer and measured. True enough, my church key is 85K thick and several of my house keys and lodge key and 75 to 76K thick. Just FYI.
rr

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I think I'm an idiot for not owning an Airstream...:rolleyes:.but I do have a universal key to open them all......⛏

(don't we have more important things to fight about guys....like how much rear ballast or how many inches of wheel spacers to use?)

o_O

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I think I'm an idiot for not owning an Airstream...:rolleyes:.but I do have a universal key to open them all......⛏

(don't we have more important things to fight about guys....like how much rear ballast or how many inches of wheel spacers to use?)

o_O
You forgot the most important discussion, which grease should we be using?

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

o_O
Or should you cover your trailer ball with grease?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I think they've resorted to giving one key with the equipment now. Used to be two. Saving money I guess....
Sorry to interrupt the airsteam thread... but if the dealer was to only give me 1 key, I would tell him the deal is off... I would demand 2.

BUT it was very smart of Kubota to only give one key, yes, money savings but more importantly, money generating side; selling a 20 cent key for $7 0r $8 is diabolical.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What's the purpose of two keys? If you can lose one you can surely lose two, probably forget where it was stashed! ;) ;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm amazed this thread didn't degenerate into crossed or uncrossed trailer chains. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I'm amazed this thread didn't degenerate into crossed or uncrossed trailer chains. :ROFLMAO:
I'm cross someone uncrossed my trailer chains while hooking up my greasy ball hitched Airstream that I lost the master key to while thinking about my Kubota's singular orange key.

Better ? o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
When I was at the kubota dealer I had a key for every piece of equipment that they sold. They are universal, where one key will fit an entire series of tractors. All the L's took a certain key (with exception of cab models, etc), for example. So I purchased one of each of the keys. Ain't but about 9 or 10 total. Then I had a key for every one of them that showed up at the shop "I forgot my key". Cool, I have one let me go grab it and we'll get you checked in.

Point being if you have multiple pieces of equipment, it might be a good idea (as you guys have already eluded to) to have a spare for each one. If they are only giving you one now, tell em you want another one. It's like, what, $10 for most of them? If they can't "give" you one, just buy it and end of conflict. Don't start some crap about "you gonna throw in a spare key or I'm not buying"....that's immature. I don't totally disagree with it being a major turnoff, but if you're signing paperwork and the dealer won't "give" you a spare key, I personally don't think it's a deal breaker, or an avenue to make a salesperson's day a little worse. Ain't a big deal really. Sometimes the dealer managers tell the salespeople that they don't give away keys because the managers are counting every penny, and that's fine. But remember the little things sometimes are what sticks in a customers' brain. Every situation is different as well.

cant' tell you how many of them "I" (personally) have given (and paid for out of MY pocket) to customers over the years to people who've lost their spare(s). And I'm just a grease monkey.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When I was at the kubota dealer I had a key for every piece of equipment that they sold. They are universal, where one key will fit an entire series of tractors. All the L's took a certain key (with exception of cab models, etc), for example. So I purchased one of each of the keys. Ain't but about 9 or 10 total. Then I had a key for every one of them that showed up at the shop "I forgot my key". Cool, I have one let me go grab it and we'll get you checked in.

Point being if you have multiple pieces of equipment, it might be a good idea (as you guys have already eluded to) to have a spare for each one. If they are only giving you one now, tell em you want another one. It's like, what, $10 for most of them? If they can't "give" you one, just buy it and end of conflict. Don't start some crap about "you gonna throw in a spare key or I'm not buying"....that's immature. I don't totally disagree with it being a major turnoff, but if you're signing paperwork and the dealer won't "give" you a spare key, I personally don't think it's a deal breaker, or an avenue to make a salesperson's day a little worse. Ain't a big deal really. Sometimes the dealer managers tell the salespeople that they don't give away keys because the managers are counting every penny, and that's fine. But remember the little things sometimes are what sticks in a customers' brain. Every situation is different as well.

cant' tell you how many of them "I" (personally) have given (and paid for out of MY pocket) to customers over the years to people who've lost their spare(s). And I'm just a grease monkey.
A set of the 12 most commonly used Kubota keys is available on E-Bay for $14.79.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
A set of the 12 most commonly used Kubota keys is available on E-Bay for $14.79.
That's nice. I don't use ebay. 2, the last few times I did, the stuff was all garbage. ebay was an auction site, used to be fun. Now its' a marketplace for people to peddle their returns, their chinese junk. Couple years ago I just totally quit them as a buyer and a seller. I had about 68,000 transactions (and the majority as a seller) in the prior 19 years.

I'm going through more issues with amazon too, more imported garbage that does not fit although seller says it's the right stuff. If you want the right stuff you have to get OEM, in my opinion. That's why I get a lot of stuff at dealers. It costs a little more but the fitment issues are nonexistent unless the equipment I'm working on is somehow fouled up-and sometimes it is. If I'm doing something at the home shop, I always give the customer (usually neighbors, family, and friends) the option. Aftermarket or OEM. If aftermarket, no guarantee and no warranty. OEM part? Retains OEM part warranty, typically 90 days. On OE part, if it is defective, dealer will replace it without issue. If aftermarket, which is usually mail ordered or purchased online, you have to send it back...and sometimes they hit you with a shipping/handling charge as such. Sometimes that charge exceeds the cost of the part, which I am currently going through with an amazon seller's screwup.