HST Fan Replace or not?

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I recently acquired a used BX2660, 2008 model. Looks to be in excellent condition and used only for mowing with mid mount mower according to PO. Took it to the dealer yesterday to have a FEL installed. He called and informed me that two of the blades on the HST fan were cracked and would likely completely fail in the near future. Asked if I wanted it replaced. ($$$$) Surprisingly, his recommendation was to leave it "as is" stating that without the two blades it should still have sufficient cooling. I tend to agree but am just not sure. Seems every post I've read about the HST fan problems the operator finds that the fan typically has no blades left and thus requires replacement, no gray area there. So, assuming partial blade loss at what point would you replace?

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree with mikester. If blades are broken off, how is the hub? You don't want it to come off without you knowing, since it has to be weakened/compromised, and allow overheating.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had to replace mine onece on my BX23. I did it myself and it really wasn't that difficult to do...about an hour and a half is what I recall. If you do, replace the fan belt while you have the drive shaft off.

There were some pretty good instructions that I had found when doing mine, but basically it required removing the seat and floor pan, then you could drop the driveshaft with just enough room to slide the fan out.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I had to replace mine onece on my BX23. I did it myself and it really wasn't that difficult to do...about an hour and a half is what I recall. If you do, replace the fan belt while you have the drive shaft off.

There were some pretty good instructions that I had found when doing mine, but basically it required removing the seat and floor pan, then you could drop the driveshaft with just enough room to slide the fan out.
I've seen several threads on how to do it. However, best I can tell there was a slight change to the model at some point that required removal of the engine mounts and moving the engine forward in order to gain the space required. What I haven't been able to locate is a clear date/model year of when that change took place. Guess I'll just have to set aside some time and poke around under there a bit and see.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've seen several threads on how to do it. However, best I can tell there was a slight change to the model at some point that required removal of the engine mounts and moving the engine forward in order to gain the space required. What I haven't been able to locate is a clear date/model year of when that change took place. Guess I'll just have to set aside some time and poke around under there a bit and see.
There are other methods too - as I remember, one poster cut a hole in the deck and replaced via that - another bought a fan and split and reattached around the shaft.

I too would get it fixed and then find a way to keep it from happening again.;):)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I should add that after replacing mine, I bought a full set of skid plates from Bro-Tech and never had another issue crashing thru the woods.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I have skid plates on order and hope that does the trick. A bit concerned though as I knew the PO and to my knowledge he never had the MM deck off the tractor. Only implement he had was a box blade. With only two blades cracked I just don't see how something could have happened with the tractor running, but don't know what else could have happened.
I'll get a price from the dealer on replacement but will likely try splitting the fan as my first attempt.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I was told that i had to move the engine forward as well on the BX23...But I'm happy to report that it wasn't necessary. It was very close in getting the fan off, but it worked without moving the engine.

I believe I got the R&R instructions off TBN. Interestingly, I saw that I still had the printed copy in my shop manual last month. But, I threw it away when I traded the machine and gave the dealer all my spare parts and manual.

issue with the skid plates is that they do limit the lift on the belly mower. if you try mowing with the deck too high, it will make a racket. I think even the driveshaft yoke can make contact so just be careful. Also, not sure what kind of skid plates you ordered but with the bro-tech skids, it made hooking up the mower drive shaft a bit of a PITA.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think the cheap way is to fix it before further damage happens. It's only the lazy way if you let someone else do it.:D

oldguy

Equipment
BX2360, brush hog, chipper, loader, 60"mmm
Nov 14, 2015
Athens, PA
I would lightly sand the cracked area and then apply a good two-part epoxy on both sides of the cracked blades; then keep checking it once in a while.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I was told that i had to move the engine forward as well on the BX23...But I'm happy to report that it wasn't necessary. It was very close in getting the fan off, but it worked without moving the engine.

I believe I got the R&R instructions off TBN. Interestingly, I saw that I still had the printed copy in my shop manual last month. But, I threw it away when I traded the machine and gave the dealer all my spare parts and manual.

issue with the skid plates is that they do limit the lift on the belly mower. if you try mowing with the deck too high, it will make a racket. I think even the driveshaft yoke can make contact so just be careful. Also, not sure what kind of skid plates you ordered but with the bro-tech skids, it made hooking up the mower drive shaft a bit of a PITA.
Even if it is necessary to move the engine it is fairly easy. I just remove the nuts and lift the engine up on top of the studs. it will then move enough to get the fan in. you don't need to remove anything from the engine except the motor mount nuts.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If it is only "cracked" as you said then all you need to do is glue it and they will be fine. Had a broken cooling fin on my chainsaws flywheel, glued it back on with JB weld 5 years ago, never been a problem. KISS

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
Thank For all the replies and suggestions. Dealer sent pics of the fan and two blades, right next to each other are cracked at the base of the fins. I will never know what caused the cracks but since he rarely had the MMM off it has left me wondering how the damage occurred.

I know the PO was meticulous about keeping it clean and would often pressure washed underneath to flush the crud out. Would hitting the fan with PW spray be strong enough to break/crack the fan?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OP said :
"He called and informed me that two of the blades on the HST fan were cracked and would likely completely fail in the near future."

Where are the breaks exactly? Have you crawled under and looked? If the breaks are near the outside of the fins, a little patch might be in order. If at the hub, might be a little more difficult to patch but still possible with epoxy or JB weld as mentioned.

If you have time - crawl under and take a few pictures for us to see how and where the cracks are located. :)

I think when you look - you will see enough "dust-dirt" down there in the fins of HST that you will want to clean that before you can see and fix the the cracks!;):)

A new one should still be something you should consider after getting a good look.;)

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I've done mine twice with my BX. Once without and once with a skid plate...sticks get in from the sides too.

Takes a couple of hours. Not that big of a deal to slide the engine forward.

Have replacement rubber boots on hand for the driveshaft.

Dump out and clean the fuel tank while you have it apart...since it's a 2008 I would preemptively replace the lines...5/16" is close enough to 8 mm.

-Mac

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user