HST and split brakes?

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
How do you use split brakes with HST? Seems like you're either on the direction pedal or the brakes. How do you do direction pedal and one of the brakes at the same time?

-- Carl

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
LOTS of threads and debate on this. I rarely use split brakes on my HST as it does little to no good for my uses, but I have experimented and find it a simple matter to do so with the cruise control as outline in my manual. My son usually does the "Kubota Shuffles" and brakes with his left foot, much easier on the GL40 than others but doable.

I have Industrial tires and steering brakes are, in my experience, more effective with Ag/bar tires.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Why not use your other foot? Like said above my post the cruise control lever works also. I use my split breaks often, lots of places I use my tractor it is necessary. I found low gear is necessary to use the split brakes effectively.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I also noticed that was a little... well not thought out real well.:rolleyes:
It would have worked better if the clutch was on the same side as the HTS pedals and the brakes were on the other side.;)

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I also noticed that was a little... well not thought out real well.:rolleyes:
It would have worked better if the clutch was on the same side as the HTS pedals and the brakes were on the other side.;)
They have eliminated the clutch and moved the brakes to the left on the new L60 HST's. I imagine over time they will expand this to any new models but doubt there will be any changes on the existing lineup. I prefer them on the right but am in the minority.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
For my uses, I don't use the split brakes. Never had to. It's a non-issue.
I love my HST more and more, every time I use it (just for you, Eric).

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Hadn't put much thought into this but it's another reason gear trannies rule. HE-HE-HE :p :D
Agree 100%!
Lever up = forward, Lever down = reverse. This can be hard to master but once you do you never forget it.:p

As I use split breaking very frequently, the shuttle peddle in a PITA :eek: with the breaks.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Thanks for the explanation, guys. Now can you tell me what kind of operations I might do where I want to use split brakes?

-- Carl

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks for the explanation, guys. Now can you tell me what kind of operations I might do where I want to use split brakes?

-- Carl
It helps with steering when pushing snow, back dragging with a lot of pressure on the bucket, sometimes when skimming dirt with the bucket, directing traction to a spinning wheel without using diff lock, crabbing on a side hill are a few I can think of off hand, sure there are more.

As mentioned I rarely use them on my HST but grew up farming and drove only gears until three or four years ago.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Any time you are needing to make a sharp turn the inside brake will assist you. I use the brakes quite often while mowing the yard. Hit the inside brake just a bit and it will help to keep the front tires from digging in the turf and cutting plugs out of the yard. Also helps if the ground is damp but not to the point where 4wd is needed.

I guess my all time favorite would be while bushhogging, maybe running just a little fast for a tight area, you're running out of room quick, you think can I make this cut, I think I can, I think I can, turn right, turn left, HOLY CRAP :eek: I don't have enough hands or feet to do everything I want or need to do at one time. Hold on tight, one hand steering, one on 3pt, lift hog, go for throttle, make hard right, DITCH, TREES, FENCE hit the brake just in time to miss everything and save the day. Nothing is bent, broke or scratched and you can release the grip you have on the seat and try to press the mohawk out of the seat cover. :D

Sure you could have just stopped and backed up but where would the fun be in that? :rolleyes:
Split brakes, yeah they can be handy for a few things every now and then.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Any time you are needing to make a sharp turn the inside brake will assist you. I use the brakes quite often while mowing the yard. Hit the inside brake just a bit and it will help to keep the front tires from digging in the turf and cutting plugs out of the yard. Also helps if the ground is damp but not to the point where 4wd is needed.

I guess my all time favorite would be while bushhogging, maybe running just a little fast for a tight area, you're running out of room quick, you think can I make this cut, I think I can, I think I can, turn right, turn left, HOLY CRAP :eek: I don't have enough hands or feet to do everything I want or need to do at one time. Hold on tight, one hand steering, one on 3pt, lift hog, go for throttle, make hard right, DITCH, TREES, FENCE hit the brake just in time to miss everything and save the day. Nothing is bent, broke or scratched and you can release the grip you have on the seat and try to press the mohawk out of the seat cover. :D

Sure you could have just stopped and backed up but where would the fun be in that? :rolleyes:
Split brakes, yeah they can be handy for a few things every now and then.
Bulldog do you or have you ever farmed, I would love to have a video of the hands and arms flying, feet stomping and such that I had to do on the end rows to get turned around and going back fast enough to make production.:)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
TripleR, back in the good old days we planted 700 + acres of soy beans and had some cattle. We did all 4 row stuff so you can imagine the faster the better. I had a 484 IH with a KMC cultivator that faster you ran the better it worked. I could do 100 acres a day and you're right, the headland turns were lots of excitement. I don't think a octopus has enough arms to do everything that needs to be done.

I have a small place now but I sure miss those days.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I use splits quite a bit actually. Mowing ditches, turning in wooded areas, gain traction (easier than using dif lock), mowing in general really.....They get rather frequent use. I have a gear tractor, but I still use the brakes while hitting the throttle w/ my heel if I need a little more juice.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Hadn't put much thought into this but it's another reason gear trannies rule. HE-HE-HE :p :D
LMAO, yeah changing gears makes it much easier. Yeah, using the clutch, and having to change gears constantly, is much easier than pushing a pedal.

Sorry could not resist.

Last edited:

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I use them very often. I use my tractor in tight spots a lot, and without the split brakes I could not make the turns I do. If I try to turn around in my greenhouse it would take lots of back and forward without the split brakes, but with them I can turn without backing up.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
TripleR, back in the good old days we planted 700 + acres of soy beans and had some cattle. We did all 4 row stuff so you can imagine the faster the better. I had a 484 IH with a KMC cultivator that faster you ran the better it worked. I could do 100 acres a day and you're right, the headland turns were lots of excitement. I don't think a octopus has enough arms to do everything that needs to be done.

I have a small place now but I sure miss those days.
We only had 160 acres and used 2 row equipment most of my life, went to 4 row the last couple of years. We also raised Black Angus cattle and a few hogs, some chickens, rabbits and made a garden every year.

I miss some of the things I use to do and others not so much. We have a lot more land now, but rent it out and actually make money unlike some years farming for ourselves.