How to dig a trench

Chris11

Equipment
BX25
Jun 6, 2014
Chewelah WA
How does one dig a water line trench? Dig 6 feet or so with the seat facing backwards, get up, reposition the seat to forward facing, move the tractor 6 feet, get up, repositon the seat to the back again.....etc, etc. That doesn't seem reasonable.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Chris

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Yep. And after you get comfortable with it, you'll figure out how to move the tractor forward using the backhoe without swapping the seat around . Don't rush it.

Reactions: 3 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Or you'll realize you should have used a mini excavator! 😋 :ROFLMAO:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Yep. And after you get comfortable with it, you'll figure out how to move the tractor forward using the backhoe without swapping the seat around . Don't rush it.
This^^^.
Takes many hours to get a good and reliable "feel" for what your backhoe can do and how to finely control it without one's mind getting in the way. It gets like your fingers are connected without thought to the tip of the bucket. Like learning to drive a car.
By then it will be clear enough to you how to safely use the backhoe to maneuver the tractor in many situations.
I do now, all the time, but after over 3 years of getting comfortable with it.

Reactions: 1 users

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Precisely why you don't see pros using small backhoes to dig long trenches. For us homeowners, we deal with the cons that come with utility tractors with a backhoe stuck on because we need a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, so to speak.

Like everyone else said, practice with it and play with moving the tractor around after a while. It's not that bad.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I do not have a backhoe; I did/do not have enough uses to justify buying one. For those that need/want a backhoe enough to spend the money, you made the right decision for you.

I did need to dig an approximately 180 foot trench for some direct bury electrical wire. I rented a treaded trencher; it was a Vermeer unit that costs about $30K. I rented it from a place about 30 minutes away. I was able to pick up the trencher (it came with a trailer), use it and return it in less than 4 hours. I paid less that $160 including the insurance for my half day rental. The trench was very clean and easy to cover.

If I had owned a backhoe, I still would have rented the trencher.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I do not have a backhoe; I did/do not have enough uses to justify buying one. For those that need/want a backhoe enough to spend the money, you made the right decision for you.

I did need to dig an approximately 180 foot trench for some direct bury electrical wire. I rented a treaded trencher; it was a Vermeer unit that costs about $30K. I rented it from a place about 30 minutes away. I was able to pick up the trencher (it came with a trailer), use it and return it in less than 4 hours. I paid less that $160 including the insurance for my half day rental. The trench was very clean and easy to cover.

If I had owned a backhoe, I still would have rented the trencher.
Yep! Did the same for a gas line to my generator. Minimal disturbance to the lawn and perfectly clean cut.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How does one dig a water line trench? Dig 6 feet or so with the seat facing backwards, get up, reposition the seat to forward facing, move the tractor 6 feet, get up, repositon the seat to the back again.....etc, etc. That doesn't seem reasonable.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Chris

Chris,

there is another way - some may call the safety police however!

There are two safety switches under your seat - if you "zip tie" one of them down (a temporary fix) you can stay in your seat! How you ask - you will need about a 3 foot stick also, when you want to move forward a bit, raise your FEL up, raise your outriggers up a bit and reach around to the left and use the stick to hit the HST pedal a bit - lower your bucket and 'riggers and dig on. True the backhoe push is a bit faster - it too takes a bit of practice.;)

Reactions: 4 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Two options for you:

1) as others mentioned, you simply use the hoe to move you along (push or pull) and for repositioning the tractor. Leave the machine in neutral for this. Do this on flat ground until you get the hang of it. The hoe will keep you anchored (brake) as will the outriggers.
2) the second (not so common practice) involves the use of stick (boat hook works better). You use the stick to depress the go pedal or under hook the pedal to reverse while seated in the backhoe position. Obviously, you'd need to keep the tractor in gear.

There are lots of youtube videos on how to do both of these with option 1 being the safest/most common.

Edit -ha, Hokie beat me to it

Last edited by a moderator:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1st, find out how deep your 'frost line' really is. Here in southern Ontario it's '4 feet', so no way I need to dig down SIX feet for a water line. Less material to remove(and replace) ,the faster the job will be.
Assuming it's a straight line, point tractor's bucket to the 'end' point. Be sure wheels are straight,then start digging. lift bucket up a bit, raise the legs 6" then push yourself forward, lower legs and bucket, repeat until you get to the 'end'.
It is slow compared to an excavator but can be fun.

Please consider putting the line inside of 4" conductor pipe,weeping tile or conduit. This way WHEN it has to be replaced, it's a simple task and a LOT faster than digging up the trench again.

Reactions: 1 user

allis15

Equipment
BX-23S, Rr mount sickle, Rr blade
Nov 17, 2022
Ontario, CAN
1st, find out how deep your 'frost line' really is. Here in southern Ontario it's '4 feet', so no way I need to dig down SIX feet for a water line. Less material to remove(and replace) ,the faster the job will be.
Assuming it's a straight line, point tractor's bucket to the 'end' point. Be sure wheels are straight,then start digging. lift bucket up a bit, raise the legs 6" then push yourself forward, lower legs and bucket, repeat until you get to the 'end'.
It is slow compared to an excavator but can be fun.

Please consider putting the line inside of 4" conductor pipe,weeping tile or conduit. This way WHEN it has to be replaced, it's a simple task and a LOT faster than digging up the trench again.

Jay
I think the 6 feet referred to was distance / length, not depth.
Gary

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
What am I missing?
Thanks, Chris
You have described the hard way, and it works fine. It's what beginners should do. My boys and I have done a few thousand feet that way. It's nothing to cry about. You get faster at swapping it around.

But once you have the feel of the machine, there is a faster way. Others have described it. Here's a video on it:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I am curious to know how the responders to the original question knew he was talking about or owned a backhoe? :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I am curious to know how the responders to the original question knew he was talking about or owned a backhoe? :)
Signature. Equipment says BX25.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Dig 6 feet or so with the seat facing backwards, get up, reposition the seat to forward facing, move the tractor 6 feet, get up, repositon the seat to the back again.....etc, etc.
Not sure about qwned, but it seems like he was talking about a tractor mounted backhoe....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Seat facing backwards was the giveaway for me. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Dig 6 feet or so with the seat facing backwards, get up, reposition the seat to forward facing, move the tractor 6 feet, get up, repositon the seat to the back again.....etc, etc.

was the clue for me....

then again, I'm wondering what that big, yellow ball in the sky is today ? It's making my face warm....hurts my eyes too... :giggle:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
then again, I'm wondering what that big, yellow ball in the sky is today ? It's making my face warm....hurts my eyes too... :giggle:
You lucky bugger!
Gloomy here!
And makes it hard to spot UFO's