How to dig a trench

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Beautiful day here - not a balloon or cloud in the sky.
OMG... Get in the game, they are UFOs not Balloons! :p
Unless you are an F22 pilot, they call them live target practice! ;) :D

Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
How does one dig a water line trench? Dig 6 feet or so with the seat facing backwards, get up, reposition the seat to forward facing, move the tractor 6 feet, get up, repositon the seat to the back again.....etc, etc. That doesn't seem reasonable.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Chris
Addfing to the discussion about using the backhoe to maneuver the tractor:

Be VERY cautious when using the boom swing control (left-right motion control with the lever on left) while the rear wheels are raised by the backhoe, to move the tractor side to side.

Sometimes a little adjustment side-to-side is wanted, so the boom swing action can do that easily with the rear tires raised, but any movement can be amplified A LOT by self-reinforcing motion as a lever push to the left will shove the rear end to the right which adds your body weight momentum to forcing the lever FURTHER to the left...

The side of my head smacked the rops (or the rops smacked my head?) as the rear end LUNGED to the side that I was trying to move, with the motion itself pushing my weight harder against the lever which upped the lurching sideways...

I had my 3M Worktunes headset on as always and that took the blow, thankfully.

So now it's TWO hands on the swing lever with elbows firmly planted on knees to adjust side-to-side very slowly and carefully.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I never listen to music/radio while operating tractors and such.....waay too easy to get distracted and then it's either hours in ER or $$$$ for the repairs..

Reactions: 3 users

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I never listen to music/radio while operating tractors and such.....waay too easy to get distracted and then it's either hours in ER or $$$$ for the repairs..
I mowed my 2 acre yard with my headphones on. When I finished, I removed the headphones and heard an alarm sounding on my ZD326 zero turn - it was overheated. I mentioned it to my wife and she says "I figured it wasn't a big deal since you just kept going - it's been on the whole time". Rats chewed a hole in a coolant line and I had no clue.

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Having background music with your hearing protection isn't a problem if you keep the volume at background levels. Still need hearing protection! And I can still monitor the machine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OMG... Get in the game, they are UFOs not Balloons! :p
Unless you are an F22 pilot, they call them live target practice! ;) :D
At nightfall, and/or as soon as the golf courses close, the USAF will be awarding DFC's to all balloon shoot down participants! ;)

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
ABSOLUTELY !

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have about 30 hours on my backhoe. at first I would move the seat, and I still do occasionally , a couple of weeks ago I dug a 150 foot trench to drain a large area of water. if the path is well laid out you can use the backhoe to move the tractor, I am sure there are very many here with far more experience but here are a few tips. I raise the loader bucket - raise the stabilizer- put the tracotor in neutral. It takes a bit of touch to not raise the tractor too high and slam it down. before you try to move the tractor with the backhoe master making a trench slow and smooth using the dipper and boom. Once you can do that slow and smooth. plant the bucket close to the tractor and do the opposite and the tractor will move forward. Even in the short time I have been using the BH I can position the tractor forward backward and side to side pretty well. At least for me the BH was a great investment I had major water drainage issues that I was able to resolve in a couple of hours not to mention many removed stumps and digging footing for my tractor barn and removing brush and planting trees. while the BH is a long way from paying itself off the ablilty to get the work done as needed in small increments is very worthwhile.

Chris11

Equipment
BX25
Jun 6, 2014
Chewelah WA
Thanks everyone. I like the idea of simply using the bucket to push the tractor ahead, plus the idea of temporarily disabling the safety switch.
Once it gets warmer I'll try them both to see which I like better.
Chris

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you can use a 4' stick to be your 'right foot ' and drive the tractor forward either 1 second at a time, or disable the safety switch.
I was taught to push using BH..so it's 'normal' to me.
yes it does take some practice......so lining up straight to a 'goal post' and MINOR steering really helps.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have about 30 hours on my backhoe. at first I would move the seat, and I still do occasionally , a couple of weeks ago I dug a 150 foot trench to drain a large area of water. if the path is well laid out you can use the backhoe to move the tractor, I am sure there are very many here with far more experience but here are a few tips. I raise the loader bucket - raise the stabilizer- put the tracotor in neutral. It takes a bit of touch to not raise the tractor too high and slam it down. before you try to move the tractor with the backhoe master making a trench slow and smooth using the dipper and boom. Once you can do that slow and smooth. plant the bucket close to the tractor and do the opposite and the tractor will move forward. Even in the short time I have been using the BH I can position the tractor forward backward and side to side pretty well. At least for me the BH was a great investment I had major water drainage issues that I was able to resolve in a couple of hours not to mention many removed stumps and digging footing for my tractor barn and removing brush and planting trees. while the BH is a long way from paying itself off the ablilty to get the work done as needed in small increments is very worthwhile.
BINGO !!!!!!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Can you see any balloons?
They SEEM to be everywhere every day!
I don't see any balloons or UFO's, but I'm grabbing my dive gear and looking for that Sidewinder missile they lost in Huron near my cottage.

It took 2 shots I guess.

Giant balloons traveling at 10 MPH must be harder to hit than I thought😂

I bet I'd be the only guy on my block with one.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't see any balloons or UFO's, but I'm grabbing my dive gear and looking for that Sidewinder missile they lost in Huron near my cottage.

It took 2 shots I guess.

Giant balloons traveling at 10 MPH must be harder to hit than I thought😂

I bet I'd be the only guy on my block with one.

Careful...!
Sidewinders often do explode!

The US Govt. will probably spend 10 million dollars looking for that missing Sidewinder.
What a dog and pony show this balloon thing is!

Oops:
My misquote!
Actually it is a: " lying dog-faced pony show"

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Careful...!
Sidewinders often do explode!
Hahahaha....If I find it, my dive buddy is a recent Army EOD retiree....I'll let him go first.....

I can just see my E-bay listing now........

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hahahaha....If I find it, my dive buddy is a recent Army EOD retiree....I let him go first.....

I can just see my E-bay listing now........
On E-Bay....perhaps do....."Best offer" !

Last edited:

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Getting back to digging a ditch, when using my B7200 I was able to operate the steering, front loader and directional pedal while still sitting in the B/H seat so there was no need to dismount. The last substantial ditch I did was over 500 feet long and at least 5 feet deep.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
You can get tricky and cross the trench you just dug.

Last edited: