How many hours can you expect to get out of your tractor?

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I know this is a hard to answer question, like how many miles can you get out of a car with good maintenance, but how many hours do you expect to get from your tractor before it needs major repairs, if you do proper maintenance?

I recently sold my Dad's old skid loader (was a yellow and black colored one with a Kubota engine) and it had over 6,500 hours on it. We got it with over 5,500 on it, but I don't think it had been rebuilt. I'm wondering if that is low, average, or above average in terms of hours. New machines are terribly expensive (ask me how I know :rolleyes:) but if they will last 6,500 hours, even a $25,000 machine costs less than minimum wage per hour and does a whole lot of work.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Can't recall where I herd it, but on maintenance requirements farmers with chore tractors (not run steady) as compared to field tractors, run all day, the field tractors run twice the hours between shop visits as compared to chore tractors. So those short runs apparently are harder on the machine than steady hours running.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Can't recall where I herd it, but on maintenance requirements farmers with chore tractors (not run steady) as compared to field tractors, run all day, the field tractors run twice the hours between shop visits as compared to chore tractors. So those short runs apparently are harder on the machine than steady hours running.
Good point and well said,

IF you could start a car.......and change the oil while it ran, and the coolant, and the rest of the fluids WHILE running, it would last a million miles, the cutting off and back on is where 90% of the wear is created....

A diesel that is run everyday will have a lot more usable hours, those hours are not easy - but everything is up to temps and very little wear.

Remember a car salesman would say "it was all highway miles" - cars that run all day long too will be upwards of 250,000 miles - those that sit might not make 75,000!

Cold starts are terrible on all machines that have moving parts and have violent explosions going on inside them.;):)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have equipment at work still running strong after 10,000 plus hours. Usually my light towers and generators. They get started sometimes and run for a couple weeks before shutting them down for an oil change. Average run time is 300 hours in a 2 week period. Got some water pumps that get run the same way.

My tractor is 30 plus years old. Other then some minor seal replacements, it's still going strong. Not sure how many actual hours are on it. Tack reads almost 1100 hours. But the tach cable was broke for at least 8 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I've seen old allis chalmers tractors running good with 12000+ hours. it all depends on how much care you give them...:D:D

Timberlake580

Aug 28, 2014
North Carolina
I'm sure this has been discussed in another thread, but this topic was close to the top :). I'm new to tractor ownership and want to know the best way to operate my new (expensive) all purpose tool? I've got an L3901 with the new Tier 4 engine components. I've always seen and heard diesel engines being ran almost continuously, whether it's a semi truck parked at a truck stop or a tractor idling in a field somewhere. I'm also new to diesel engine ownership, but it seems the mindset is letting a diesel engine run even at idle is better than shutting it down everytime you step off the machine. I guess it was to keep the engine warm and lubricated? Never been taught the thinking, but the cheap-skate in me wants to shut off an engine whenever it's not being used just to save fuel! But with the newer Tier 4 engines , Ive heard that low idle actually is bad for them and dealers are actually recommending shutting them down rather than idle at low speed. What's the consensus on this forum? how do you all run your newer tier 4 machines? My issue is right now I'm using my Kubota for digging post holes on about 3 acres of pasture so my engine RPM's are pretty low for long periods of time. I've only got about 70 hours and have already been through 4 DPM burn off's. Just wondering how I can prolong the life of my new-age technology!

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I'm sure this has been discussed in another thread, but this topic was close to the top :). I'm new to tractor ownership and want to know the best way to operate my new (expensive) all purpose tool? I've got an L3901 with the new Tier 4 engine components. I've always seen and heard diesel engines being ran almost continuously, whether it's a semi truck parked at a truck stop or a tractor idling in a field somewhere. I'm also new to diesel engine ownership, but it seems the mindset is letting a diesel engine run even at idle is better than shutting it down everytime you step off the machine. I guess it was to keep the engine warm and lubricated? Never been taught the thinking, but the cheap-skate in me wants to shut off an engine whenever it's not being used just to save fuel! But with the newer Tier 4 engines , Ive heard that low idle actually is bad for them and dealers are actually recommending shutting them down rather than idle at low speed. What's the consensus on this forum? how do you all run your newer tier 4 machines? My issue is right now I'm using my Kubota for digging post holes on about 3 acres of pasture so my engine RPM's are pretty low for long periods of time. I've only got about 70 hours and have already been through 4 DPM burn off's. Just wondering how I can prolong the life of my new-age technology!
I'm curious about this as well. I have the same tractor and mine is also a tier 4. I have 60 hours and I think it has done 2 auto regens, at least that I've noticed (seeing the lights on). It has never beeped at me.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
Given this I am surprised there is not an hour meter that tells you how long the engine has been run when the operating temperature is below warm up level.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Daddy used to say 3500 hours you had to think about valves. Adjustment or a valve job. But that was before synthetic oils and such. Wolfman, what say you?
As for turning a diesel off, all I can do is point you to the big brown trucks. They turn them things off hundreds of time a day every day all over the country. It works for them. There are more trucks with idle limiters now also that turn themselves off after a couple of minutes. Hours is wear, and fuel burned is gone...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18025

A thread relating to this discussion on using tier 4 tractors is parked under the sticky in Tractor Operating. Since I have one I am also really interested. I have noticed that different tractor models and even different tractors seem to have different characteristic regen frequencies. I don't think regeneration per se is "bad" when done correctly, but the life of the dpf filter is finite, and relates to the number of burns. But it is a lot of burns, and I decided I'd probably be really old before I got there on mine. People hike up the rpm to keep the dpf filter in passive regeneration while working, but I don't know if that extends the life of the filter or not. It is hard to extrapolate from one model to the next because the engine designs are so different. I would encourage folks with tier 4 dpf tractors to post their experiences so we all can learn.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a friend with 2 big JD tractors. One sits most of the year and then gets used hard cutting ground for corn. The other is used for cutting ground and he bales with it as well. Both have over 10k hrs and still run like new. Don't know how long they will go but for now they're still good tractors.

I have a strong feeling the new ones with all the tier 4 crap on them will never hold up like the old iron has in the past. They seem to run so much hotter than ones without it and heat is always a killer.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18025

A thread relating to this discussion on using tier 4 tractors is parked under the sticky in Tractor Operating. Since I have one I am also really interested. I have noticed that different tractor models and even different tractors seem to have different characteristic regen frequencies. I don't think regeneration per se is "bad" when done correctly, but the life of the dpf filter is finite, and relates to the number of burns. But it is a lot of burns, and I decided I'd probably be really old before I got there on mine. People hike up the rpm to keep the dpf filter in passive regeneration while working, but I don't know if that extends the life of the filter or not. It is hard to extrapolate from one model to the next because the engine designs are so different. I would encourage folks with tier 4 dpf tractors to post their experiences so we all can learn.
The dpf is supposed be rated for 5k hours... I have been running mine above the 2000rpm operating and if I am getting off for more than a few minutes I shut it off. If I am just off and back on then I leave it run.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
DPF life is subjective....

Depends on a LOT of things. Fuel quality. How the engine and or tractor is used. Idle time. Lugging (lots of load and low RPM). etc etc.

Think about the old non DPF tractors. Think about when they smoke. When you first start them. When you lug the engine under a load so that it's making exhaust smoke. The smoke is fine particles of soot that are considered normal for all diesel engines. The DPF catches that soot in a fine filter. Every so often, the filter gets real dirty and then the sensors in the system tell the ECU (and ultimately the operator) that it needs to convert that soot into ash.

Some operators lug the ever living crap out of their tractor, they start and stop the engine often, and never get them above 2000 RPM. I know one guy who does this and in 65 hours has been into 5 regen cycles. Obviously he hates the DPF system, but neither your or I or him have any control over what the government mandates to be put on our diesel fueled equipment.

DPF life. Equipment that is run hard and stays hot (above about 1200 degrees F EGT) will have a LOT longer DPF life than one that is lugged, started and stopped often, runs cat pee diesel fuel, dumps 10 kinds of additives into the fuel, old diesel, gasoline in the fuel, 2 cycle oil in the fuel, etc. A poorly maintained engine will begin to burn some oil, and that too plugs the DPF quicker than normal. We've been seeing this with some of the hobby farm customers who forget to check the air filter. Yes those air filters are expensive. But that engine (on an L01) is $10,000+ worse case scenario. Plus the cost of the DPF, and those aren't cheap either. I've had to replace two in 3 years, out of about a thousand tractors. That's pretty good but IMO, that's 2 too many. One was the result of a level 5 regen, it was so plugged that it simply could not burn off the soot, it just made lots of ash. The other a result of a tractor that was rolled over, the engine ran on it's own oil for a length of time, and then the DPF became damaged. DPF's are not 100% efficient, so that over time, the burnt ash will eventually build up to a point where it cannot burn off during a normal regen cycle. This can be seen with the Kubota software on a laptop. They call it PM (particulate matter), and it's shown in mg. When that happens, you either have to replace the DPF, or remove it and have it cleaned by a company who specializes in this. The local company who does this usually charges about $300 to clean them, but that is on big trucks (Cummins ISX, garbage trucks). I have not asked them about Kubota's yet.

What happens if the tractor is left alone, say a guy sees a light and a beeper show up on the dash and ignores it? Eventually it plugs to the point where the engine's exhaust gas temperature (EGT) is so high, due to exhaust being plugged up, that it will eat itself. Melt pistons. Now, Kubota has sensors in the DPF that sense the EGT, and it too can be read with diagmaster, and the ECU reads those and adjusts injection timing and injection pulsewidth-among other things-to compensate. But an operator who simply doesn't care or just ignores the lights in the dash, yes, it is possible for the engine to eat itself alive. I haven't seen it personally, have heard of it though on a bigger M series. That would be an expensive mistake to make. Same thing that big truck owners face. Actually if you have a 25+hp diesel engine on anything, from about 2014 and newer, it's an issue that we'll all face. Personally, my opinion on the matter is that gasoline is going to be a better fuel for smaller tractors, for this reason. The technology is there to make a little 3 cylinder engine with a turbocharger to make just as much-if not more-torque than a 3 cylinder diesel, and it'll be quieter, smoother, use roughly the same amount of fuel, and overall be cheaper to own over the lifetime of the unit. Exactly the same as all of the F250's, Silverado 2500's, and Ram 2500's (and now the 1/2 ton diesels) that people buy just because they're diesel. Many never see a load to pull. Once you figure in the extra cost to maintain them, and they systems that they have, plus now DEF every so often, you come out cheaper with gasoline in the long run.

I think it's time for Kubota to try out a gasoline powered tractor for this reason, something in the 30-35hp range outta do it. Some say it's a step back in time, and it is to an extent, but with the government mandates on diesel fueled engines, it makes sense. Especially for those "hobby farmers" who use a tractor for a toy as opposed to "real" work (plowing, planting, etc). And yes I fit into the hobby farmer category. I have a little 35hp tractor and really have minimal uses for it. Move some dirt once in a while, clean out the ditch, and use the FEL for lifting junk or loading with firewood to move from the back yard to the garage when that time comes. Nothing I couldn't do with a shovel and some walking but the tractor is just more fun.