HF Quick Hitch questions...again

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Yes, there has been discussion about the HF quick hitch so try not to overly flame me. I am currently in a discussion with myself to purchase one of the QH's. It appears that some modifications need to be made and I can live with that. Because the implements I have are quite old, probably any quick hitch would need some kind of tweaking as well as tweaking of the implements. But, as I say, I can live with that.

So...my question deals with the bushings and adapters that are said to be needed. The cost of these was quite surprising. Once I found what I thought was a good deal, the shipping was almost as much as the product. Does anyone have a source for the top link adapter and the bushings that won't require a small loan? :) Or...wouldn't there be some substitution? Instead of the prescribed bushings, wouldn't a flange bolt of some kind work just as well? Or something to that effect. If can get these implements set up so that I can just back up, hook up and go...life would be good. Thanks for any help.

TG

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My understanding is that most 'quick hitches' are really CAT2 on the implement side, so you should only require cheap CAT1-CAT2 'bushings' for the implement,which could be 'pinned' on with lynch pins.
I'd have to see one in person to confirm though.
All the 3PH implements that I modded for Snap-Coupler have their own top link bolted to the implement,so that no adjustments are necessary. Saves me time !

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Thank you for all the thoughts/suggestions. I have considered getting a different QH to avoid the modifications but going from $140 to $319 is a considerable leap, especially when I am more of a tinkerer than a worker!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
One of the problems for me is that I remember when sweet corn was $1/dozen so it's hard to get in line with today's prices.:)

Reactions: 1 user

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I have a HF QH that I bought used . I bought the hook for the top of the hitch from Amazon
& bought some cat 2 to cat 1 bushings at Tractor supply for under 10 bucks.
Thats all I had to do to make it work on my 3301
animal
As I was growing up, I thought my size was "irregular!" For most things, I do look for used since, to me, they fit the purpose. Good for you to get a used one. I'll keep pondering and mulling. There are times when I have to bite the bullet, so that's what may happen here with a new hook. First, I'll need to get the hitch and then see what to do. Some online have used a grinder to make the hook accept the pins they have. Apparently, the original unit has a knob that sticks out a bit and prevents seating the pin for the implement.

Thanks for the bushing info. For some reason, the bushings have a shoulder to keep the implement from sliding off. Those bushings go over the current pin on the implement and then a roll pin is inserted to hold it. I may not be calling it the right thing.

Thanks again.

TG

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If you are still considering options, have you considered Pats?

I have a pats set up on my B and a QH on my MX. I would not buy a QH again as it is not as versatile. I’ll eventually change over to a pats on my MX.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
If you are still considering options, have you considered Pats?

I have a pats set up on my B and a QH on my MX. I would not buy a QH again as it is not as versatile. I’ll eventually change over to a pats on my MX.

I have looked at Pat's and didn't really see that much advantage since it would still require getting off the tractor to hook up the top link. Perhaps I have misunderstood how it works. I know, too, that if it's PTO driven implement, it's still necessary to get off for that hook up.

TG

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Just do what the big dogs do and buy a separate tractor or machine for each implement. Who needs a quick hitch?

So you want a backhoe... They say: "Nah, don't waste your time, what you need is a mini-excavator".

So you mow a lot of ground... They say: "What you need is a zero turn dedicated mower ".

That's not me... I'm just venting. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck. I'll be watching this too see what works.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Harbor Freight is only good for zip ties, moving blankets, shop rags, work gloves. All cheap expendables. I try to avoid HF products that will see serious use and service. Does anyone remember the jack stand recall and how hard HF tried to keep the recall small? No way I would trust a quick hitch from HF. Can only envision the QH failing while mowing the the hill and loosing a rotary cutter while it is operating.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I've had a great experience with most everything from HF, quick hitch included. Have one on the Farmall C and used it for the rotary cutter for over a decade...no issues. I added the spacer block to the top hook and that's it. No complaints.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I have looked at Pat's and didn't really see that much advantage since it would still require getting off the tractor to hook up the top link. Perhaps I have misunderstood how it works. I know, too, that if it's PTO driven implement, it's still necessary to get off for that hook up.

TG
I've seen a lot of good responses in your post. You don't have but a few choices. Buy a quick hitch, use it where you can. Buy bushings where necessary. Don't use the quickhitch (obviously) and connect direct to the 3PH. None do everything easily. Deal with it.

Sorry for being blunt.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have looked at Pat's and didn't really see that much advantage since it would still require getting off the tractor to hook up the top link.
The advantage is that Pat's will work with almost any implement. You mentioned having a lot of older stuff, which means the width could be considerably different than today's "QH compatible" dimensions. The QH is a fixed width, Pats retains the ability to adjust the width of the arms. You may or may not be able to modify your existing implements to work with the QH. I would certainly get out there with a tape measure and see how much cutting and welding will be involved.

Also be aware that both the QH and the traditional Pats shift the mounting point rearward by a few inches. This will affect the lift capacity of the 3PH as well as the length of any PTO shafts. Alternatively, Pats also makes a weld-on version: cut the ball end off and weld the weld-on version at the same distance back.

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I have HF quick hitch. Did same and got bushing from tsc. No pricey at all. Top link on my items just required a littke grinding. I have been happy with it. I did but a pats at first but did not like it. Returned mine with no questioned asked.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
The advantage is that Pat's will work with almost any implement. You mentioned having a lot of older stuff, which means the width could be considerably different than today's "QH compatible" dimensions. The QH is a fixed width, Pats retains the ability to adjust the width of the arms. You may or may not be able to modify your existing implements to work with the QH. I would certainly get out there with a tape measure and see how much cutting and welding will be involved.

Also be aware that both the QH and the traditional Pats shift the mounting point rearward by a few inches. This will affect the lift capacity of the 3PH as well as the length of any PTO shafts. Alternatively, Pats also makes a weld-on version: cut the ball end off and weld the weld-on version at the same distance back.
Good info, Torch. I continue to mull...and now measure!

TG