Help me decide

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Side by side pedals seemed more comfortable, treadle more intuitive, but I felt I had to push down with my heel to reverse so I'd need more time, but I'm also assuming this gets better with time?
Marrying the crazy girlfriend might be exciting at first but gets old real fast...

Getting used to something you don't like isn't the same as liking it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Marrying the crazy girlfriend might be exciting at first but gets old real fast...

Getting used to something you don't like isn't the same as liking it.
Not sure that's a great analogy. Crazy girlfriends may have compensating advantages. And using a different pedal setup isn't the same as getting married in terms of level of impact.

There's a difference between something that you don't like and something that you're not used to. I personally couldn't imagine having a strong preference for two pedals v's a treadle. You just get used to it, it makes no material difference to me. But maybe some people it gives them pain, or they have another machine with two pedals and don't want to get confused driving both.

Some cars have a foot operated parking brake. You just get used to it. You may like it one way or the other, but it's probably not going to determine which car you buy.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Realized I didn't post an update here. Went back last Friday and brought my SO along. It had started snowing so we didn't sit on either the B or LX, but looking at the LX next to the B there really is a jump in size and the B was already at the top of my budget. In fact, I increased the budget to allow for the B2601 and while the LX might be better for some tasks, I think the slightly smaller B will suit my smaller property better.

We are going to go with a B2601 with LA435 loader and 60" bucket. I'm having the dealer install R14 tires instead of the R4 that were on it already as well as a 3rd function valve. The dealer was adamant the Land Pride 3rd function was better than the Kubota one as it was more comfortable to use and they were otherwise essentially the same so they are installing the 380-354A 3rd function kit. I'm also getting the SGC0660 grapple and a pair of PFL1242 pallet forks.
They said it'll be a few weeks for the grapple and pallet forks to come in and that gives them time to install the 3rd function and tires.
This dealer uses Ballast Star Citrastar 50 liquid ballast so I'm skipping it as looking at the MSDS it's still calcium chloride with rust inhibitors in it. I will go ballast box for now and look for a local Rim Guard dealer if I need more.

I was looking at the KTAC insurance and I like how it will cover my tractor on and off my property as I'm sure neighbors will ask me to help them out from time to time, and my SIL has 5 acres and have some tree work they want to do. I don't have a trailer so helping them would not be right away, but certainly in the future. I know I can get coverage from my homeowners, but that would only cover me on my property. Is there any other options I should consider?

I will need to get a ballast box and I'd like it to be quick hitch compatible and have some additional functionality such as tool storage and receiver hitch. I thought about making one, but I may just buy one as I'm more learning to weld than an actual welder LOL.

Should I consider a wear bar or tooth bar for the bucket? Are these really necessary, or just nice to have?

Anything else I should think about or plan for before my tractor arrives?

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Realized I didn't post an update here. Went back last Friday and brought my SO along. It had started snowing so we didn't sit on either the B or LX, but looking at the LX next to the B there really is a jump in size and the B was already at the top of my budget. In fact, I increased the budget to allow for the B2601 and while the LX might be better for some tasks, I think the slightly smaller B will suit my smaller property better.

We are going to go with a B2601 with LA435 loader and 60" bucket. I'm having the dealer install R14 tires instead of the R4 that were on it already as well as a 3rd function valve. The dealer was adamant the Land Pride 3rd function was better than the Kubota one as it was more comfortable to use and they were otherwise essentially the same so they are installing the 380-354A 3rd function kit. I'm also getting the SGC0660 grapple and a pair of PFL1242 pallet forks.
They said it'll be a few weeks for the grapple and pallet forks to come in and that gives them time to install the 3rd function and tires.
This dealer uses Ballast Star Citrastar 50 liquid ballast so I'm skipping it as looking at the MSDS it's still calcium chloride with rust inhibitors in it. I will go ballast box for now and look for a local Rim Guard dealer if I need more.

I was looking at the KTAC insurance and I like how it will cover my tractor on and off my property as I'm sure neighbors will ask me to help them out from time to time, and my SIL has 5 acres and have some tree work they want to do. I don't have a trailer so helping them would not be right away, but certainly in the future. I know I can get coverage from my homeowners, but that would only cover me on my property. Is there any other options I should consider?

I will need to get a ballast box and I'd like it to be quick hitch compatible and have some additional functionality such as tool storage and receiver hitch. I thought about making one, but I may just buy one as I'm more learning to weld than an actual welder LOL.

Should I consider a wear bar or tooth bar for the bucket? Are these really necessary, or just nice to have?

Congratulations on your new purchase!
You have made great choices.
It seems that you have an excellent understanding of your needs & wants !

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Depending on what material you plan to scoop….Tooth bar makes a huge difference on machine of that size. I have on my B and it’s necessary IMO. …if planning to scoop heavy/packed/settled materials, it’s helpful on a B size machine.

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Sounds like you are on the right track to picking out your new tractor. My only advise is to sit on them all and test them if you can. Don’t think you’ll find many dealers letting new customers start playing in the gravel. Not around me at least.
I use the dealers specs sheets and side by side info comparison so I’m not going in blind and looking at a bunch of sweet tractors knowing nothing about them except what the sales people says. I also find the sales people are much better when I can say what I’m looking for. Maybe it makes them feel like I’m less likely to be a Sunday drive tire kicker.
customer service and a good parts and service department team is a big one for me. That’s who your gonna deal with after you’ve spent your hard earned money.

All the models you’ve listed will likely be able to handle the jobs you mentioned in the op. I sure wouldn’t be worried about what the neighbours think. Go with your gut feelings. Those I should have got this or that one moments really suck in future thoughts lol
Enjoy your new tractor whatever model or colour it is.

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Hello everyone. I'm new here and figured I'd register as I've narrowed my choice for a new tractor to two colors, Red or Orange. First a bit about my needs and use..

I'm in WNY, close to finger lakes region and have a bit over an acre. On that acre, I've got a good size fenced in garden area with raised beds and a greenhouse. We have about 2/3-3/4 acre fenced in for my dogs to run, and we have chickens. We have many, many trees and unfortunately now, many, many stumps. about 80% of our trees are ash and we have been hit with EAB so nearly all our ash are dead. We have taken down about 65 already and have about 20 left to go. Once we are done, we'll have about 85 stumps to grind. Additionally, I want to do landscaping including prepping for a cement pad, redoing my paver patio, adding another patio, building a nice fire pit, putting in a large in ground garden, snow removal and other various projects around the house.

I know for sure I'll want a grapple so 3rd function is a must. I would like rear remotes to allow the option for things like a stump grinder and hydraulic top link in the future, although I may rent a stump grinder as the prices have really shot up over the last year or so.
I would like to get a dethather, maybe a rake and am willing to go used for that.
Snow removal so maybe a snow pusher, but I'll probably try the bucket first.
I plan to get pallet forks and a stump bucket, but I may not get these initially.

I will probably use this for all sorts of projects around the house. Probably the only thing I plan to add that I'll need to rent something different is to build a koi pond and don't think a backhoe is worth the expense for only one project. I will use the tractor I get for moving stones and landscaping around the pond once the hole is dug.

Anyway, I've looked at the local dealers and brands available to me, MF GC1723 and GC1725, JD 1025r, Kioti CS2510 and CS2520, TYM T264 (I didn't look at in person, but was not impressed with the dealer over the phone or the price), NH Workmaster 25s (I did not go look at LS in person either, but it's the same), Yanmar SA325 and SA424, and Kubota B2601. I know there are a couple other brands that are around, but dealers are not near me.
Out of all the tractors, I think I could get buy with any of them. Each has their own pros and cons, but I think I liked the SA325 and B2601 the best. Both are a little bigger without being to big for my smaller property and I didn't feel like I wouldn't be able to get places with either. I think the Yanmar might have tighter turn radius, although on paper both are similar.
I also liked the MF, Kioti, and JD... but the dealers were not nearly as nice to talk too as the Kubota and Yanmar dealers are so I'm going to focus on these two brands/models for now.

I really liked the lift capacity of the SA325 and it has by far the best warranty. 10 year powertrain and free transportation for warranty work which is fantastic since I don't have a trailer. It also offers more bang/buck than the B2601 at a couple thousand less. The downside is the proprietary QA system so for things like a stump bucket I'd have to go without, fab my own, or opt for a significantly more expensive option like the HLA vs others available for SSQA. I did find the side by side pedals more comfortable, but I also found that I sometimes hit the wrong pedal first so it would take some getting used too.

For the Kubota, I really like the 3 speed hydro, SSQA, and the fact that aftermarket otpions are available all over the place. Everyone sells things for JD and Kubota. I am unsure about the treadle pedal, but my Cub Cadet XT2 lawn tractor has something similar, only much smaller that works well and I don't have any issues. It feels really intuitive and you don't have to think about which is forward or reverse. I suspect I'd have to get used to the Kubota just like I'd have to get used to the side by side pedals. I think the Kubota dealer did edge out the Yanmar dealer and it's closer so this is how I'm leaning, but the price is a bit over what I wanted to spend. (wanted to keep it below $25k).

I know for either I'll need ballast. I haven't decided if I want a ballast box, liquid ballast in the tires or both. The Yanmar Dealer can do Rim Guard for a fee, the Kubota dealer uses Ballast Star citrus based one, but when I look at it I believe it's still calcium chloride so I'd probably skip this one. https://ballaststar.com/products-and-specifications/liquid-tire-ballast-citrastar-50/

Is there anything I should be thinking about or considering I haven't looked at yet?
Hi, Here is a quick competitive view ... fwiw. https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/b2601-competitive-comparison.61464/

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds like you've made the right decision. I agree on machine and on ballast. I would buy the grapple up front, and the ballast box. I personally don't think a quick hitch is necessary, but it depends how you choose to store the implements. If they're even a bit moveable when off the machine then in this size class a quick hitch isn't essential.

I don't have a tooth bar and it's never been a problem for me. I don't dig with my tractor much, and tractors aren't really great for digging. For getting material out of a pile I've never had a problem.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Good luck with your purchase! I used to have a B7510 (21hp) that is pretty much the same size as the B2601. With all the stumps you have look into getting the Woodland Mill stump grinder. I love mine. The B7510 ran it pretty good just had to go a bit slower. My LX2610 has bigger tire and about 310 pounds of RimGuard in each tire. It runs the stump grinder a fair amount better the old B tended to get "tossed" around a bit if I was being too aggressive on the depth of cut. I don't have that issue with the LX. On the tooth bar I have never used one but it's something you can add later pretty easy if you find you want it.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Hello everyone. I'm new here and figured I'd register as I've narrowed my choice for a new tractor to two colors, Red or Orange. First a bit about my needs and use..

I'm in WNY, close to finger lakes region and have a bit over an acre. On that acre, I've got a good size fenced in garden area with raised beds and a greenhouse. We have about 2/3-3/4 acre fenced in for my dogs to run, and we have chickens. We have many, many trees and unfortunately now, many, many stumps. about 80% of our trees are ash and we have been hit with EAB so nearly all our ash are dead. We have taken down about 65 already and have about 20 left to go. Once we are done, we'll have about 85 stumps to grind. Additionally, I want to do landscaping including prepping for a cement pad, redoing my paver patio, adding another patio, building a nice fire pit, putting in a large in ground garden, snow removal and other various projects around the house.

I know for sure I'll want a grapple so 3rd function is a must. I would like rear remotes to allow the option for things like a stump grinder and hydraulic top link in the future, although I may rent a stump grinder as the prices have really shot up over the last year or so.
I would like to get a dethather, maybe a rake and am willing to go used for that.
Snow removal so maybe a snow pusher, but I'll probably try the bucket first.
I plan to get pallet forks and a stump bucket, but I may not get these initially.

I will probably use this for all sorts of projects around the house. Probably the only thing I plan to add that I'll need to rent something different is to build a koi pond and don't think a backhoe is worth the expense for only one project. I will use the tractor I get for moving stones and landscaping around the pond once the hole is dug.

Anyway, I've looked at the local dealers and brands available to me, MF GC1723 and GC1725, JD 1025r, Kioti CS2510 and CS2520, TYM T264 (I didn't look at in person, but was not impressed with the dealer over the phone or the price), NH Workmaster 25s (I did not go look at LS in person either, but it's the same), Yanmar SA325 and SA424, and Kubota B2601. I know there are a couple other brands that are around, but dealers are not near me.
Out of all the tractors, I think I could get buy with any of them. Each has their own pros and cons, but I think I liked the SA325 and B2601 the best. Both are a little bigger without being to big for my smaller property and I didn't feel like I wouldn't be able to get places with either. I think the Yanmar might have tighter turn radius, although on paper both are similar.
I also liked the MF, Kioti, and JD... but the dealers were not nearly as nice to talk too as the Kubota and Yanmar dealers are so I'm going to focus on these two brands/models for now.

I really liked the lift capacity of the SA325 and it has by far the best warranty. 10 year powertrain and free transportation for warranty work which is fantastic since I don't have a trailer. It also offers more bang/buck than the B2601 at a couple thousand less. The downside is the proprietary QA system so for things like a stump bucket I'd have to go without, fab my own, or opt for a significantly more expensive option like the HLA vs others available for SSQA. I did find the side by side pedals more comfortable, but I also found that I sometimes hit the wrong pedal first so it would take some getting used too.

For the Kubota, I really like the 3 speed hydro, SSQA, and the fact that aftermarket otpions are available all over the place. Everyone sells things for JD and Kubota. I am unsure about the treadle pedal, but my Cub Cadet XT2 lawn tractor has something similar, only much smaller that works well and I don't have any issues. It feels really intuitive and you don't have to think about which is forward or reverse. I suspect I'd have to get used to the Kubota just like I'd have to get used to the side by side pedals. I think the Kubota dealer did edge out the Yanmar dealer and it's closer so this is how I'm leaning, but the price is a bit over what I wanted to spend. (wanted to keep it below $25k).

I know for either I'll need ballast. I haven't decided if I want a ballast box, liquid ballast in the tires or both. The Yanmar Dealer can do Rim Guard for a fee, the Kubota dealer uses Ballast Star citrus based one, but when I look at it I believe it's still calcium chloride so I'd probably skip this one. https://ballaststar.com/products-and-specifications/liquid-tire-ballast-citrastar-50/

Is there anything I should be thinking about or considering I haven't looked at yet?

Rumor is Yanmar may be getting out of the tractor business. I would not recommend buying one until that is finalized.

Stump bucket on a machine that light is a bad idea. You will probably tear your FEL up.

Snow removal - good thoughts there...try the bucket first. A rear blade can also be nice. Keep in mind you have a really light machine so if you get a foot of wet snow a pusher isnt going to go very far. A hydraulic angle plow blade will do much better.

Dirt work - how deep do you have to dig for that concrete pad (ie footings, etc)? How is your soil?

No CaCl in the tires...terrible idea. The dealer should be ashamed. What about that is citrus? The Fragrance LOL. Ridiculous.

CHEMICAL Wt. %

Calcium Chloride 20 - 45
Water 53 - 78
Rust Inhibitor 1 – 2
Potassium Chloride < 1
Sodium Chloride < 1
Calcium Bromide (CaBr2) < 1
Fragrance < 1
Coloring

As far as rear wheel ballast...keep in mind you cant easily undo that so if youi want lighter psi on certain parts of your property (ie groomed/mowed lawn, etc) that extra weight will hurt you. On that light of a machine I recommend no loaded rears and to start with 3PTA ballast of some kind (heavy implement or ballast box).

I am biased but I would go with the B2601. Lovely little machine.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
At 2-3 acres you may not need a big tractor? I've farmed in the pass with a under 25 hp tractor on 10 acres with no problems. With both a manual (12 speed) and HST. With 2 bottom plows and Disc and 2 roll JD corn planter etc.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
At 2-3 acres you may not need a big tractor? I've farmed in the pass with a under 25 hp tractor on 10 acres with no problems.
Since it might not be obvious, Kubota makes a BX, B, LX, and L all with 25 HP. They are remarkably dissimilar with the L weighing almost twice as much as the BX with a lot more torque and much stronger loader.

soloz2, your money, but is the LX 2610 SU really that much more than the B? You are giving up a lot in loader capability which will be probably needed with a grapple.

I've dug quite a bit with my tractor without a toolbar. I'm sure the tootbar would be better. I think you can try it without first. One thing holding me back is that I like that the bucket edge is straight without a toothbar.

It doesn't seem like you need a QH since you only have one rear attachment in the ballast box.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Depending on what material you plan to scoop….Tooth bar makes a huge difference on machine of that size. I have on my B and it’s necessary IMO. …if planning to scoop heavy/packed/settled materials, it’s helpful on a B size machine.
I will use the loader to scoop some sod and prepare for landscaping. Not an all the time job, but that's where I was thinking a toothbar may come in handy.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Since it might not be obvious, Kubota makes a BX, B, LX, and L all with 25 HP. They are remarkably dissimilar with the L weighing almost twice as much as the BX with a lot more torque and much stronger loader.

soloz2, your money, but is the LX 2610 SU really that much more than the B? You are giving up a lot in loader capability which will be probably needed with a grapple.

I've dug quite a bit with my tractor without a toolbar. I'm sure the tootbar would be better. I think you can try it without first. One thing holding me back is that I like that the bucket edge is straight without a toothbar.

It doesn't seem like you need a QH since you only have one rear attachment in the ballast box.
Honestly, I didn't price up the LX2610SU. If I were to go LX I'd go with the regular version as I want to maintain a mid PTO so I have the option of a front snowblower in the future. My home is presently in a small pocket that does not get much snow, but 20min in any direction usually gets a decent amount more, and any farther west gets dumped on with lake effect snow. I plan to buy more land in the not so distant future and want to keep my options open.
I also didn't check pricing on the LX. I know it would be a little more and I already adjusted my budget to get the B and I think the B will do what I need. On paper the B and LX are pretty close, but side by side the LX looks a good deal larger.

I absolutely don't need a quick hitch right now, but I'll be picking up more rear impliments as time goes on so anything I get I want to be quick hitch compatible.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I will use the loader to scoop some sod and prepare for landscaping. Not an all the time job, but that's where I was thinking a toothbar may come in handy.
Could do. I'd maybe lean towards a rotary hoe in that situation though.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Could do. I'd maybe lean towards a rotary hoe in that situation though.
I just had to Google what a rotary hoe is. So, use that to break up the sod to make scooping easier? I like it! I had planned on buying a tiller, but that's probably a couple years out as I need the grind stumps first to have room for a garden.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I just had to Google what a rotary hoe is. So, use that to break up the sod to make scooping easier? I like it! I had planned on buying a tiller, but that's probably a couple years out as I need the grind stumps first to have room for a garden.
Ah, yes. Tiller. Often available for a good price second hand. I can get one for a very good price, since my brother in law has one he doesn't use. But I don't have a need for one yet.

They're also cheap to rent. I rented one to tear up our driveway. Better to overwork a rental machine than one you own. If you're doing it a couple times for landscaping renting is a good idea. If you're tilling a garden twice a year, then buy one second hand.

On grinding stumps - are you sure that gets you where you want to be? My mother ground stumps at her place for a few trees, then laid lawn. The residual stump below the surface keeps rotting, so every year or so she has a subsidence again, and has to relevel the lawn. Despite it being a really big job, it may be better to dig the stumps out. And really, that means paying a guy with a big machine. Once done it'll be a massively nicer property.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Honestly, I didn't price up the LX2610SU. If I were to go LX I'd go with the regular version as I want to maintain a mid PTO so I have the option of a front snowblower in the future. My home is presently in a small pocket that does not get much snow, but 20min in any direction usually gets a decent amount more, and any farther west gets dumped on with lake effect snow. I plan to buy more land in the not so distant future and want to keep my options open.
I also didn't check pricing on the LX. I know it would be a little more and I already adjusted my budget to get the B and I think the B will do what I need. On paper the B and LX are pretty close, but side by side the LX looks a good deal larger.

I absolutely don't need a quick hitch right now, but I'll be picking up more rear impliments as time goes on so anything I get I want to be quick hitch compatible.
Good day. I went back and re read your first post….that combined with this one replying to ‘I plan to buy more land’….honestly my recommendation would be to buy for what you are planning in future not what you needed this past summer. Once you start to use a compact tractor and see the potential and run into the limitations of the machine, it’s a valitol mix that will have to you buying another. Anyway, just looking at what need to do and want to do, you have some real work there and if getting more land, I don’t know how much, but I’d be careful not to buy too small of a machine, unless you really are confined space to the smaller machine. I think when you look at machines check out the lift capability in weight and calculate that out to either 20lb concrete blocks, or to bags of either sand or your favorite chicken feed, or maybe to gallons of water….that is so you have some way to sort of realize what work could be done. And to be safe the best plan is not opporating the machine at max lift with the loader up in air….think about SWL …maybe that consideration helps give some idea how much you realistic want to lift and move (simply lifting the max weight on a level surface is very different then move the weight).

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

The lighter the machine, the harder it is to get a full bucket of material in general. The tooth bar is nice for really digging into the ground. If you are removing shrubby materials in the woods or really need the bucket to bite into the ground they are great.

Wear bar? IMO not worth the hassle of putting it on. For a homeowner I doubt you will wear that bucket out in your lifetime. That said, totally up to you.

The things to start thinking about now is what you need to maintain and support the machine. Lots of posts here and on TBN about what you need (tools, etc) as a tractor owner. Check them out and ask questions! Here are a few.

Grease gun and a few tubes of grease
extra lynch pins
I would go ahead and get the materials for your 50 hour service.
Filter wrench
spud wrench
A gallon or 2 of hyd oil to keep it topped off
If you plan on pulling things up....chain and shackles

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
I do most of my own maintenance on my vehicles and outdoor power equipment and plan to continue this trend. I have most tools I would need, but I may need to get different filter wrenches or a nicer grease gun as I anticipate I'll be using a grease gun significantly more often.

It seems the general consensus is that I should consider more a larger tractor. This is something I'll chat with my SO about today. Realistically, I anticipate we will probably not buy more property for another many years and will likely be at our current property for at least another 15 years. When we do buy more land, we want woods so even though a larger tractor may be useful, we would have to keep it smallish to get through the woods. Probably one step bigger than the B would be the biggest we would want unless something major changes.

For the projects I have need of now, a subcompact would be more than sufficient and the only reason I ruled the BX out was the low lift capacity, so the B is one frame size larger than what I would get if I were going with say a JD. I feel the B2601 is sufficient, but I also don't want to buy too small and regret so I'll give some thought to this.