Have you noticed how tractors just keep getting larger and LARGER ??

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I don't have a pic of my old 70's model B6000E but it was pretty small. There are pleanty of pics here to see the size. Compare that to a "B" series tractor now and it is the size of my "L" from back then :eek: :eek: :eek:

I went to look at an "L" at the dealer that would be the current production of mine which is the smallest hp in the "L" line up and it is HUGE !

My neighbor saw my "B" when I used it for mowing and some chores around my property and when I brought home the "L" he said it was more than twice the size of my "B". Well that is what I thought when I saw the new "L" size of my old L175...........it is almost twice the size.

Now to buy a tractor the same size of a old B6000 one would have to buy a "BX" series.

I got started in this observation looking at new tractors and to get a new one that is the same size as my old L175 I would have to buy a "B" series now.

This is crazy!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek::(

TopGear

Mar 21, 2009
Australia
I really like the small size of my B6000. It surprising where you can go when you have a small footprint. Not sure why they are getting bigger. Also its easy to transport on a tailer.

I have used a FORD 1700 (17hp) on my block (3 acres) and compared to my B6000 (13hp) the size difference was amasing. Turning became an issue when mowing and rotary hoeing with the ford.

One advantage of a bigger foot print though maybe increased stability and maybe its an OH&S issue? I know due to the small size and excellent gearing with the b6000 you can get yourself in trouble more easily than with the larger machines. Also if they have a front end loader you can probably get more height and stability with a larger footprint.

I wish Kubota still made the b6000 - I like its toughness/rougdness/simplicity. I think if I was in the market for a new machine it would still be my pick;) Maybe though with power steering:p When I see the new BX1860 it just doesn't look like it will outlast my B6000:eek: ????

Cheers John

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I got started in this observation looking at new tractors ....
Aqua, I think what got you into this observation was drink'n some hooch!

Big tractor, little tractor, orange one too! Another sip and they'll be talking to you :rolleyes:

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
What's wrong with larger?? Especially when it comes to tractors. If I could pack 75 HP into a small frame I'd rather have that for my small property, but someday I might have a really big 5 or 6 acre place. :D and how will I ever get 150-300 HP in a compact package??

I think they need to stop thinking so much about asthetics and worry more about function. That's the way to keep power small.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
What's wrong with larger??

When there is room it really is a non issue. When space is limited then a larger tractor becomes a "can't get to it" issue. But going back to a smaller tractor, that might even have the same power or more, then the hitch category changes up or down making more problems. :mad: :mad: :mad:

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
What's wrong with larger?? Especially when it comes to tractors. If I could pack 75 HP into a small frame I'd rather have that for my small property, but someday I might have a really big 5 or 6 acre place. :D and how will I ever get 150-300 HP in a compact package??

I think they need to stop thinking so much about asthetics and worry more about function. That's the way to keep power small.
I'm thinking turbine power - maybe 1200 hp - we can always dream:D