Has anyone tried this (Snow removal)

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Already have a new snow pusher. Haven’t tried it yet. Almost bought a 3 point snow blower but backed off. So, am thinking of trying this if the pusher doesn’t work out. Have my 6 foot rear blade mounted. Buy a 5-6 foot blade for front replacing my front bucket. Depending on snow depth, put front blade about 3-4 inched off the ground, angled. Put rear blade (reversed) down all the way. Go plow.
has anyone tried this? Work/doesn’t work? Don’t want to invest in a front blade if this won’t work. Found one for $1200. Thanks.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
When I was a kid, we had a Ford 2N with a FEL that had a fixed dozer blade on it. We had a 6 foot rear scraper blade and cross link tire chains. It was a snow moving BEAST!

Reactions: 1 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I haven't tried. What problem are you trying to fix?
Back up plan in case the pusher doesn’t pan out. The front blade could come in handy with the driveway instead of using the bucket. Just thought to ask you seasoned tractor owners if this has worked for folks.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
When I was a kid, we had a Ford 2N with a FEL that had a fixed dozer blade on it. We had a 6 foot rear scraper blade and cross link tire chains. It was a snow moving BEAST!
What position was the rear blade? I have a gravel driveway and know if I put the rear blade forward, it will dig in and scrape off the class II I laid this past summer.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I quickly fabbed up this front snow pusher blade a few winters ago. I set the runners so it leaves an inch or two of snow to get packed down at the start of the season. Once the snow is packed down from driving over it, I can lower the blade on the skids and have at it.

For light snows (maybe under 6 inches if it's not wet) it'll move snow alot faster than using the pto blower. The side wings could have been a little deeper to keep more snow from peeling off, but it was made from material found on hand.

I guess it's time to put the tractor cab on and get the heater hooked up again.

1701310896926.jpeg

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
What position was the rear blade? I have a gravel driveway and know if I put the rear blade forward, it will dig in and scrape off the class II I laid this past summer.
Forward facing, but the top link was as short as it could go so that the cutting edge was nearly perpendicular to the ground...we had a gravel driveway but never had an issue with tearing it up. The blade was too light, and you want the lightest blade you can get for snow removal.

Reactions: 1 user

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I have a 6' blade from a Jeep so it isn't light. I've had to cut a lot of metal off it to lighten it up. It is mounted on the loader arms. If I have of 6" of wet snow I have to push it off to the side as I go down my 500' driveway. 700# of lead on 3-point hitch, turf tires, no chains, relatively flat driveway.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I’ve got a pusher and it works fine, not being able to angle does require a push off point on long runs though. I thought about using my back blade this year in combo w pusher but decided it sticks out too far. I mostly plow residential drives so backblading around parked cars and stuff didn’t look good.

My “ideal” setup would be to have an angling front blade without the FEL. This would keep you relatively short. We don’t have enough snow around here IMO, so I purchased the BH with the tractor instead of snow blade kit. I’ve only seen the snow blade kit and subframe on the largest Grand L series anyways. If you really want to remove some snow the Nordic GL6060 is sold in Canada and comes with front fenders (no FF on US models really sucks IMO). Sorry for the long and a bit off topic post.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I had a similar setup on a IH 544 hydro that old girl with logging chains was a beast in the snow

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I use edge tamers on my front bucket and a reversed rear blade. Works great.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
One handy feature that can be had on a loader mounted pusher blade: I added a cutting edge across the top of the unit. With the bucket tilted most all of the way forward (as in dumping) I can nose up to an overhead door, etc., and back drag the snow away from the door, wall, etc. Then push or pull that windrow of snow to wherever your placing it.

See the pic in post #6 above

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I've used a plow blade I purchased from QuickAttach.com in combination with a back blade and chains. Both blades are adjustable from the cab and I use chains. My driveway is gravel and 1000' long with a couple of hills, one of which is quite steep. The combo works great together and after the first time I tried it, I use it that way all the time.

Attachments

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Think I will invest in a front blade. Found some online I am watching. Surprising, the non hydraulic are running more. Thanks folks for all your replies.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Found one just like it for $1600 in Wisconsin. Almost got it but found a 3rd party one for $1300 with hydraulics. Same size.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You lack enough HP/ Tractor to run 2 blades at one time!

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I saw this one on Craigslist a few weeks ago.
Tried to get my uncle to buy it for his tractor but he's to cheap.
Step in....help him out.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
You lack enough HP/ Tractor to run 2 blades at one time!
Was planning to have front blade off the ground around 3-4 inches. Let the back blade scrape the rest. Back blade will be reversed. Can see bogging down in 6 plus inches of snow. If it does, plan on using the bucket up front. Have a feeling we won't be getting much snow this year. No snow yet. Seems to be going around us.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Before we paved the driveway I spent a good part of one day raking the gravel back onto the driveway each Spring. That was using a couple different methods - dozer blade on an old Cub LoBoy154, rear blade on a Ford 1210. The rear blade was pulled for light snows and when the snow was too deep for that I pushed it in reverse. Sometimes it worked before the grave froze in place use it "backwards" in an attempt to not disturb the gravel. Using the blade this way wasn't optimal because the back side doesn't shed the snow as well as the correct side.