Has anyone invented a multipurpose lifting device....

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The other day I wanted to lift a Briggs and Stratton engine onto the chassis of a Cyclone Rake (some assembly required :eek:). The directions advised that one ought to find a helper to do this, and it has two handles. I kept looking at the tractor and looking at this engine, which had to be positioned very precisely into some spaces between two rails. Couldn't the tractor do it somehow?

Forget about bucket and chains, the chains would be dragged across some plastic parts on the engine by the weight. Pallet forks which I don't have would get in the way of setting it down. Discretion being the better part of valor I rounded up two guys to lift it into place. Took about 10 seconds after I swallowed my pride to ask for help.

But I keep thinking about the general problem of lifting small but irregular shaped fragile items that can't be supported from below, and that you don't want to swing too wildly, but still use your tractor. Maybe an X shaped structure with 4 attachment points for straps? Something you could take the bucket off to use? Something for the 3 pt? Kind of like a boom pole but more stable?

So I figure somebody out there must have solved this problem already, looking for ideas!

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
For small things that can't hang from a bucket tooth or hook/D-ring, I have a hitch receiver that bolts to the bucket bottom, and a 3ft and 5ft square tube to fit. If any appreciable weight, a chain support is used. Ropes or straps can be used to hang the item.

Bruce

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your loader is SSQA get a hitch plate and a clevis hitch
Or if you want smooth fine control use a boom pole front or back and get an electric ATV winch to pick things up slowly and set them down slowly. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would agree with boom pole. I use a shop crane for picking /placing a variety of things,made an extension to support roof structure when i built my grain bin. Plan on building a mount for three point on kubota,to make it all-terrain.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I bought the SSQA pallet forks from Titan when they had a 15% off sale.

http://www.palletforks.com/skid-ste...teer-quick-attach-mount-2600-lb-capacity.html

The forks have a hole in the end that can be used with a clevis for straps, chains, etc.. Also, the way the forks are attached, it's easy to remove them and make a boom or whatever to mount to the plate.... This was one of the reasons I bought these because I felt I could make attachments to fit where the forks attach.

At %15 off, free shipping and no sales tax, this was a steal! :)

Ted

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Doesn't involve a tractor, but back when I didn't know any better I was involved with pulling a couple of engines with a come along hooked to a rafter. An engine hoist would be the better choice, and they're fairly inexpensive, but I wouldn't worry about the come along if you're just lifting a small engine. Cherry pickers are nicer, but cost more.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I use one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-61522.html only mine doesn't have the winch. I mounted it on a plate that fits in a 2 inch reciever hitch and I can use it on my 3 pt or on my loader with my quick hitch and Reciever hitch Worked GREAT for lowering my wood stove into the basement with the 3 point. Can also use it on the back of a truck that has a trailer hitch.

Anything light weight then I yell for the boys or the wife to help out.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Wow! There are lots of ways to lift stuff, thanks everyone, especially for all the links. I like the ones that already offer at least two points to attach straps or chains to, but I had the feeling that for some things to get stability you need three? That would be the advantage of starting with pallet forks, anyone build anything to attach to the boom pole or other lifting thing to make sure the object doesn't twist? Maybe I'm overthinking this :rolleyes:

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Wow! There are lots of ways to lift stuff, thanks everyone, especially for all the links. I like the ones that already offer at least two points to attach straps or chains to, but I had the feeling that for some things to get stability you need three? That would be the advantage of starting with pallet forks, anyone build anything to attach to the boom pole or other lifting thing to make sure the object doesn't twist? Maybe I'm overthinking this :rolleyes:
That's nothing a couple ratchet straps can't fix.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
MULTIPURPOSE LIFTING DEVICE: :D

This is from D2Cat, and Me, we'll send him over to help you out! ;)

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
multipurpose lifting device: :d

this is from d2cat, and me, we'll send him over to help you out! ;)

Lol! Probably wouldn't take too much to feed! Often wondered during hay stacking season when at the gym all those guys could get PAID to lift weights ....instead of the other way around. Never had any takers though.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Lol! Probably wouldn't take too much to feed! Often wondered during hay stacking season when at the gym all those guys could get PAID to lift weights ....instead of the other way around. Never had any takers though.
heck...... just tell them you have an all natural weight lifting program and they will PAY YOU to stack your hay.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
MOST of the time when you are lifting something to set on something else, you want the ability to rotate the item to get things lined up.

But as OldeEnglish pointed out, nothing a ratchet strap or two wouldn't solve.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
Of coarse it depends how you hook your chains/straps, but I've found that typically two points will keep the load from doing much rotating, but can still swing some while driving. But, with the pallet forks you can attached a 3rd point from the top of the fork mounting plate/frame to keep it from rotating. Another thing I like about buying the pallet forks for lifting is the fact I've got pallet forks! :) They come in very handy for lifting trees, or anything else you can get the forks under!

Ted