Hanix Mini Giant excavator?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hot water pressure washer with a turbo rotating tip will take that off without using any soap. I have cleaned lots of equipment that looked that bad using one and never used any soap
I agree!
Hot water without soap works well.
A little soap just seems to make the job a bit quicker.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Recommend daily proper disposal of those greasy rags/towels.
1st pic is the can I use in the shop for oily shop rags.
2nd is the new 6gal can I will use in the back/side yard. I had been just bagging up the greasy/oily rags & paper towels, and just leaving then in the side yard (block fence & gravel) until trash day, but now they will go in the can till trash day.
IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A little scraping reveals that the guard was bolted to the ram, as in the drawing below, but that portion has been torn off. I will have to see if it can be welded, or if I'll have to fabricate a new part.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
1st pic is the can I use in the shop for oily shop rags.
2nd is the new 6gal can I will use in the back/side yard. I had been just bagging up the greasy/oily rags & paper towels, and just leaving then in the side yard (block fence & gravel) until trash day, but now they will go in the can till trash day.
View attachment 73176 View attachment 73177
I usually just throw my oily rags and paper towels outside my buildings, at the edge of some bushes.
Then, when it begins to look ugly, I pick the mess up on whatever day that I go to the dump,.....or I burn the mess on the ground myself.
No oily rags/paper towels will ever stay in any building of mine ever again!
I just barely dodged the spontaneous combustion bullet once!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have only had two incidents.

1) I changed oil on one of my vehicles and the guy I rented from wanted it poured along a fenceline to kill grass/weeds. (Yeah, I know, neither one of us knew any better back then. '73?)
It was about 118, and within 5 minutes, the oil had ignited and was burning all the weeds. Got it out, never did figure out why it lit, but that stopped me from dumping it on the ground anymore.

2) That stainless steel can I use in my home shop (above) was from my egineering shop at work, where it was used for the same purpose, storing dirty/oily shop towels/rags. One start of the new year after the Christmas holiday, I came in, did some work, and went to throw a rag in the can. The rags were lightly charred, (google charcloth) but mostly still usable. Got a commendation for using the airtight can, saving a fire.
When they closed that shop, management insisted we throw everything away. After much arguing, I threw everything away. wink wink

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Another oddity. The factory cleanable fuel bowl/strainer setup seems wrong to me.
When the lever is vertical, fuel flows: when it is horizontal, fuel flow stops.
But the drawing says it's right.
fuel strain.jpg

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Got some bad news today.
My BIl. (actually ex BIL) who sold me the Mini Ex passed away this morning.
Completely unexpected, everyone thought he still had at least a year.
I was hoping to get this thing all squared away so he could see it before he passed, but I guess not.
I know he loved his beautiful, off grid place with its solitude and great views, and he had said he wanted to die there, rather than in a hospital, so he got that wish.
His wife was with him when he passed.
He will be missed.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
My Condolences. So sorry to hear that. I know you wanted to get the excavator done but at least he knew that you are working on rebuilding it and getting it ready to use.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wife & I have been fighting a dry, scratchy throat thing for about 5 days; no not Covid, no other symptoms.
Feeling more & more human lately, so I have been doing a little work on the mini.
Drained the oil & filter, was typically dirty for a diesel, let it drain overnight. Next day I refilled it and without even starting it, the new oil looks as black as the dirty oil was. I think this will be short run, flush type oil change.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Started looking at the electrical system.
(Warning, rant coming on!)

Like so much of what I work on, whether it be vehicles, tractors, guns, antique toys, or whatever,
seems like I never get to work on anything that some know-nothing taterhaid hasn't butchered up.
Stuff like this would be 1000% easier if those who know nothing would just keep their bumbling, greasy little rat paws off of everything. Something doesn't work? OK, pull the fuse, unplug it from the wiring harness. DON'T cut the wires, hack sections out of the wiring harness; don't remove relays because you are not bright enough to understand them, and old electrical tape is not the cure for every problem in the universe.
(rant off)

PO start/run procedure:
Set manual throttle about 1/4 to 1/3.
Turn the key on.
(fuel pump, batt warn light, low oil pressure warn light, green flashing light on HR meter comes on)
Push glow plug button for 5 sec
(no indicator for glow, but above lights dim)
Turn key to start position, engine cranks & fires.
Switch key to off position & remove.
(so that elec fuel pump doesn't run all the time, engine runs fine without pump on)

Couple of inherent problems with this method.
Once you switch the key off, HR meter, batt warn light, low oil pressure warn light, all cease to work.
So now I have no idea how many hours are on it.
The last 4 times I started it, I have the fuel pump disconnected; starts & runs fine, will monitor.
Maybe if you run it out of fuel you need the pump?

So, after a little rework & cleanup, HR meter, batt warn light, low oil pressure warn light all work as they should. Glow plug indicator light lights when glow plugs are activated.
As soon as I find rocker switches that fit the panel, OH work lights will function.
Maybe I will put the fuel pump on a rocker switch.
Horn was found to be dead, but switch, relay, fuse, and wiring all check out, so that will be an easy fix. Might even have a horn at the cabin.
Fuel gauge appears extinct, sender still intact, but not checked for function.
Rocker switch (dead) is for OH work lights.
Other holes are for Boom work light switch. (light works, wiring is a disaster)
I believe third switch hole was for wipers when cab with installed.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Plate #22, that protects the grader blade cylinder, before & after.
protec.jpg IMG_0006 2.JPG IMG_0007 1.JPG IMG_0014 1.JPG IMG_0015 2.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Small MC horn came in today, fits perfect, now button on the center of the right stick honks the horn. :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The two covers over the hydraulics bay (under the seat) were apparently painted a different color, or were from a different machine at some point. They both show a nice light green under the caterpillar yellow.
It does not appear to be a primer coat, and so far those are the only two parts that show that color.
IMG_0012 2.JPG

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My BIL had some real tools working for him over the years.
The locking fuel cap and locking latch for the engine compartment were both intentionally broken years ago, supposedly because they lost the keys for them.
Guess what key opens both of them?
That's right, the ignition key.
TaterHaids.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The company I'm going to buy the new tracks from offers two different tracks to fit this machine.
Because the current steel tracks are not correct for this model, measuring them is no help in deciding which tracks to order.
All of the pertinent info and photos have been sent to the vendor, whose engineering group will decide which track will fit. Hoping to hear from them next week.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Started looking at the electrical system.
(Warning, rant coming on!)

Like so much of what I work on, whether it be vehicles, tractors, guns, antique toys, or whatever,
seems like I never get to work on anything that some know-nothing taterhaid hasn't butchered up.
Stuff like this would be 1000% easier if those who know nothing would just keep their bumbling, greasy little rat paws off of everything. Something doesn't work? OK, pull the fuse, unplug it from the wiring harness. DON'T cut the wires, hack sections out of the wiring harness; don't remove relays because you are not bright enough to understand them, and old electrical tape is not the cure for every problem in the universe.
(rant off)

PO start/run procedure:
Set manual throttle about 1/4 to 1/3.
Turn the key on.
(fuel pump, batt warn light, low oil pressure warn light, green flashing light on HR meter comes on)
Push glow plug button for 5 sec
(no indicator for glow, but above lights dim)
Turn key to start position, engine cranks & fires.
Switch key to off position & remove.
(so that elec fuel pump doesn't run all the time, engine runs fine without pump on)

Couple of inherent problems with this method.
Once you switch the key off, HR meter, batt warn light, low oil pressure warn light, all cease to work.
So now I have no idea how many hours are on it.
The last 4 times I started it, I have the fuel pump disconnected; starts & runs fine, will monitor.
Maybe if you run it out of fuel you need the pump?

So, after a little rework & cleanup, HR meter, batt warn light, low oil pressure warn light all work as they should. Glow plug indicator light lights when glow plugs are activated.
As soon as I find rocker switches that fit the panel, OH work lights will function.
Maybe I will put the fuel pump on a rocker switch.
Horn was found to be dead, but switch, relay, fuse, and wiring all check out, so that will be an easy fix. Might even have a horn at the cabin.
Fuel gauge appears extinct, sender still intact, but not checked for function.
Rocker switch (dead) is for OH work lights.
Other holes are for Boom work light switch. (light works, wiring is a disaster)
I believe third switch hole was for wipers when cab with installed.
Injection pump can generate a vacuum on the fuel lines. Which explains why it will still run with the electric fuel pump off. Granted if you have a slight air leak in the system, it will probably quit once enough air seeped into the system.

The units with Cummins diesels at work don't have a fuel pump period. They use a fuel primer to prime fuel filters when They are replaced. They rely solely on the draw from the injection pump for fuel supply to the engine.

I asked the Cummins tech why they don't put an electric fuel pump on them? His reasoning was Cummins doesn't want someone to prefill the fuel filters 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I pointed out to the tech, that someone is more likely to prefill a fuel filter before installing if they have a mechanical fuel pump versus an electric fuel pump.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I found out while replacing most of the fuel lines and clamps that the fuel tank is higher than most of the fuel system- fuel pump, both fuel filters, and the injection pump. There is a pretty substantial gravity feed, even with the tank level below half full.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I mean it's cool you're fixing it this old thing, but it seems a bit too small/light to do anything with it reasonably. What's the plan for this thing or it's just a project?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I need a lot trenching (150-175ft) at my place up north- very hard & rocky ground.
It is certainly not a commercial level machine, but it is at least 2 to 4 times more powerful than the B670 on my B7100.

I also plan on moving some big rocks out of a planned fence line. Lots of them are in the 100-200lb range, and a few are in the 2500lb range. I'll move what I can, then hire a big machine to move the rest.

Of course, there are always tree planting holes to dig, stumps to dig up, & culverts to clear.

If it works out, I may pull the BH off my tractor, and put the box blade back on.

And somewhere down the road, if I decide to sell it, I will probably double (or more) what I will have in it.
Equipment always sells high out here.