Grease guns and grease

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi Forum,

Took delivery a couple weeks ago on my new Kubota M5-111 as well as a Land Pride RC4615 and a Land Pride RCF3696.

I'm not real good at mechanical stuff, but want to take care of this equipment.

Any recommendations on a good grease gun - guessing I'd need something more than jump a manual pump kind for these pieces of equipment -- possibly a cordless option like the Dewalt or ? -- looking for suggestions and why and also what type of grease recommended ?

Same grease and gun for both the tractor and mowers ?? Or different?

Thank you....

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi Forum,

Took delivery a couple weeks ago on my new Kubota M5-111 as well as a Land Pride RC4615 and a Land Pride RCF3696.

I'm not real good at mechanical stuff, but want to take care of this equipment.

Any recommendations on a good grease gun - guessing I'd need something more than jump a manual pump kind for these pieces of equipment -- possibly a cordless option like the Dewalt or ? -- looking for suggestions and why and also what type of grease recommended ?

Same grease and gun for both the tractor and mowers ?? Or different?

Thank you....
Cordless are great tools - and a cordless grease gun is awsome. I use a pneumatic one -

a https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1162...F8&qid=1508721573&sr=1-18&keywords=grease+gun

and the part that makes the gun so good is the device that hooks to your zerk,

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Gr...F8&qid=1508721573&sr=1-13&keywords=grease+gun

Now why would you spend $100 on gun and tip? Once you do - you will understand why it cost that much and why it saves you a hellva lot of time.

No matter what way you push the grease - get the lock-n-lube!

I can truly grease my BX25D in less than 3 minutes....that is about 25+ zerks!!!

as for grease - find a you a good synthetic grease too!;)

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I would go with a quality manual pump. Pay the extra money and get a USA name brand. These last a lifetime, batteries don't. Maybe a air driven; again name brand. Jeff

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
Good manual type, (mine is a Lincoln made in USA) but get the one with the flexible whip, not the rigid metal pipe. I use Lucas "Red & Tacky" for grease and grease all pins/joints with zerks after each day of use.

Reactions: 1 user

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I agree with buying a quality grease gun... Greasing is not my favorite maintenance activity, but doing it with a piece of junk gun would be miserable.
I use the air grease gun when I lineup all of my equipment for greasing, but usually use my manual gun when just greasing one machine.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I agree, a good grease gun and grease are worth the extra money spent. After a long day working the tractor, I prefer to grease before I start using it, my question is I like to keep my tractor clean, what is the best way to keep the old grease that squeezes out from getting all over everything and making the tractor look disgusting.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
EP (extreme pressure) grease and the locknlube tip and you are already ahead of the game.

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
It was suggested to me by an unnamed tractor mechanic to get an "electric grease gun"...? can someone elaborate and give opinion ? and how the electric one differs from the one 85 Hokie recommended..ohh and something about getting a gauge for the grease gun to see how much has been pumped in ??
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1162-...rds=grease+gun

what about one like this ? (still dont see a gauge though)
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCGG5...508789721&sr=1-5&keywords=electric+grease+gun

Thank You.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It was suggested to me by an unnamed tractor mechanic to get an "electric grease gun"...? can someone elaborate and give opinion ? and how the electric one differs from the one 85 Hokie recommended..
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1162-...rds=grease+gun

Thank You.
electric is not what I showed - that one is pneumatic (air powered), if I did not have my two air compressors, I would have gone with the battery operated one.

Lot of people do it the old fashion way, manual pump - which is fine.

BUT think about this, you will need to place the nozzle on the zerk, let go, grab the hand pump with two hands and pump, then remove and repeat.

the pneumatic one or the battery one, one hand on the nozzle, and one hand on the trigger!!! Cuts down a lot of time.

the lock-n-lube allow quick on, and quick off - the pneumatic gun allows a quick trigger, typically 2-3 triggers and I am good.

I had an old hand pump, the damn nozzle was a royal PITA to get on and off, so I had a dedicated pair of vice-grips on the nozzle, made it muccchhhh better.

But the l/n/lube makes it all so fast, you will NOT mind greasing her up!~:D;):)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you want a electric gun with a meter this one works great. https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-26...=1508791605&sr=1-3&refinements=p_89:Milwaukee

It has a dial that you set how many pumps, just pull the trigger and it stops on it's on.

I have several different ones myself and the go to gun is the Lincoln that 85Hokie suggested. I've been using mine since 09 without any issues.

As far as grease goes I use Amsoil synthetic. https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...meric-off-road-grease-nlgi-2/?code=GPOR2CR-EA

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I would go with a quality manual pump. Pay the extra money and get a USA name brand. These last a lifetime, batteries don't. Maybe a air driven; again name brand. Jeff

I was one of those who swore by a manual greaser for the first 10 years of dealer work. Another tech at the time came in with a Husky pneumatic grease gun and did a full service on, IIRC, an L48-which as you know has a TON of fittings on it (FEL, BH, etc). Took him maybe 5 minutes to grease all of them, and it takes me 30 minutes to hit 'em all with the manual. I was sold on it. Bought a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun from the tool truck the very next day. That was 16 years ago and thousands of tractors, and the grease gun still works perfect to this day.

That said.....

Some of the other brands aren't quite as good. The Husky in question had to have 2 modifications. One was that the grease seal on the cartridge piston failed and on a hot day, the contents of the grease cartridge would end up on the wrong side of the piston, creating a big mess when you changed the cartridge. New seal fixed it. Also, it's really slow in comparison to the Lincoln. It works and it's easy to use but it's slow in factory configuration. IF you take the head apart, you'll find the vent hole. Air vents out of this hole. It's too small. We came up with the idea to open it up as far as we could without compromising strength of the head, which I think was around 1/4". The original hole is about half that size. After that, the speed increased drastically. Still not as fast as the lincoln but close. One thing I didn't like about the Husky was that it is tough to bleed if it gets air in it, but that's not often. Usually he'd pull on the T-handle to see how much was in the gun, if it didn't pull out much (or not at all which was often since several of us used it....), just change the cartridge. If you run it dry, it'll get air in it. Usually you could bleed it by screwing the gun back together just a thread or two, then pulling the trigger while you're screwing it back on. Worked about 80% of the time. Sometimes you had to bleed it which was a messy ordeal. The Lincoln is self-bleeding. I really like it.

I'm not sure I'd like a cordless. Sure the lack of a hose is nice but that battery. I have 2 cordless drills and it never fails, I grab either the drill or the driver to use it, always in a bind at the worst possible moment, and the battery is always dead. And worse, the other 3 are also seemingly dead. So you have to stop what you're doing and recharge. With pneumatic, if you have shop air, you have a working Lincoln grease gun.

One thing most don't think about when greasing. New grease also flushes the old stuff out, which may contain dirt, water, whatever. On a FEL and BH I always do the flush routine. It's messy but I've never had a single pin or bushing wear out. Doing this requires a LOT of manual pumps. If you have a pistol grip manual greaser, your forearm will look like popeye in no time. If you have a lever type, you will wear yourself out in about 4 or 5 fittings.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I think I would use a pneumatic gun if I was a working mechanic. Time is money! Lincoln is my go to brand for grease guns. Last forever. I can see the advantage of holding the nozzle and just pulling a trigger for speed. My old Lincoln manual has a adjustable nozzle so you can adj for different size zerks or lock down on a zerk so it will not pop off, even if you pull. Jeff

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
I do have a nice compressor so I'll likely go with the one 85hokie suggested with the lock n load tip
How do I get a meter on this one so I don't pump in too much grease?
Or maybe the better question is-- how do I know how much grease I've put in and how much is SUPPOSED to go in ?

Thanks to all very helpful to this rookie

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I do have a nice compressor so I'll likely go with the one 85hokie suggested with the lock n load tip
How do I get a meter on this one so I don't pump in too much grease?

Thanks to all very helpful to this rookie
I hate to say it.....you will always pump too much grease!:D:D:D:)

My first 10 times, I bet I wasted more than used!

The trick is, look at the place where the grease WILL ooze out, the pressure of the new will push out the left over old. You want a little something to come out, but the more that comes out, the more "mess" you will end up with. Dust and what not gets all over that.

If you are picky - carry a screwdriver, flat head, use it to remove all the old grease that oozes out.

MMM spindles need a lot of grease early on, other joints can get buy with a trigger or two.

It will not take long to figure out what needs what. One thing you should do is clean the zerks BEFORE pumping grease in them, they can get nasty on the outside - no point pushing new grease over the dirt and crud that is on the outside of the zerk!;)

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Since I do have two pretty large Land Pride mowers (15 ft batwing and 8' tow behind mower) to also service with Grease -- and may not always want to drag those over to the pole building to have to use the air compressor run grease gun - anyone have a recommendation on the best 18volt or 20volt "cordless" grease gun to run..?

Thanks as always.

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
yes I have looked at my owner operator manual - not that impressed to find the answer to this question -- is there somewhere or some manual or something - that will show me every grease zerk on my Kubota M5-111 that I need to service...??

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
Cordless are great tools - and a cordless grease gun is awsome. I use a pneumatic one -

a https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1162...F8&qid=1508721573&sr=1-18&keywords=grease+gun

and the part that makes the gun so good is the device that hooks to your zerk,

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Gr...F8&qid=1508721573&sr=1-13&keywords=grease+gun

Now why would you spend $100 on gun and tip? Once you do - you will understand why it cost that much and why it saves you a hellva lot of time.

No matter what way you push the grease - get the lock-n-lube!

I can truly grease my BX25D in less than 3 minutes....that is about 25+ zerks!!!

as for grease - find a you a good synthetic grease too!;)

Like we are twins have the same setup :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Since I do have two pretty large Land Pride mowers (15 ft batwing and 8' tow behind mower) to also service with Grease -- and may not always want to drag those over to the pole building to have to use the air compressor run grease gun - anyone have a recommendation on the best 18volt or 20volt "cordless" grease gun to run..?

Thanks as always.
We have a 20v Dewalt here at work that has served us well.

I have 8 20v Dewalt batteries so I plan to purchase the Dewalt tool only to give it a try. looks like $138.00 is the going price without the battery.

Was greasing loader yesterday and became frustrated with my old no name brand hand pump losing prime. I chunked it in the trash can.

Should have my new one first of week.

Good luck.

Jay