Got Pissed Today

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Our utility workers that have to access our place have been nothing but respectful of us and the property itself. They were the same way at our old place but that was only about 15 miles from here. Blocking someone’s driveway is pretty much an a$$hole move whether they’re home or not. Came home once to a fire truck and ambulance blocking the driveway but the UPS man had found Dad laid out in the garden (he’s fine now) and called 911 so I was OK with that.

Only problems we’ve had is neighbors acting like it’s a public park, hunting club they think they’re a member of, and occasional yard waste dump. We’ve had a few moments where some education was needed and some relationships needed to be defined more clearly. I’ve been surprised how many don’t seem to understand just because you have more than a half acre doesn’t mean anyone can use it as they wish.

For instance when we find a deer stand on the place, we have the right to destroy it or take it without returning it. We’ve always taken them down and left a note on the tree explaining this is private property where you’re not allowed to hunt, call this number if you want your stand back. We’ve only had one person who got ill about it. Sheriff Deputy got his attention when he set up on our place again. Several thanked us for giving the stand back because they know we don’t have to. Past few years that’s calmed down. Used to be at least a couple every year.

We’ve also had one field adjacent to the road used as a parking lot for a large house party/wedding in the nearby neighborhood (until we kicked them out). Probably would have mowed it for them and let them do that if they’d just had the respect to ask, but they didn’t.

Had a landscaper dumping yard waste because they thought “nobody” owned the land they were dumping on.

One of the jilted deer hunter/poachers decided to walk over to urinate on the corn pile at Dad’s hunting setup. You’d think he’d know there’d be cameras at a hunting blind. Had to call him to let him know we had his pic and we’d have a problem with any further displays of his shortcomings.

Some people are nice people who occasionally screw up and do stuff they shouldn’t. Have been both the offended and offender in that type scenario. Those people straighten up real quick when it’s pointed out. Some are just a$$holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
We bought the house next door with four acres some years ago. Being retired, I have been totally renovating the house, gutting the interior, super insulating the house, and so on. No hurry as we wanted the property to protect us from an undesirable moving in.

The one bad thing was that the other driveway was really dangerous, as it exited against a blind curve. And ours which was better, exited with traffic, but still was not good.

I put in a new driveway that was approved by the state, and is MUCH safer. It is shared by both houses.

So today I was at the house next door doing something, and as I had something to take next door so I drove my old van over. When done I was coming back and saw something that looked like a red line in the rear view mirrors. Questioning what I was seeing, I looked further and saw two trucks blocking the driveway, and following the red rope I saw two guys about 400 feet down the back, where the sewer line that went in about ten years ago is.

At that point I am pretty pissed. No way they should be blocking my driveway without permission. I asked why they were blocking my driveway. They said then knocked on the door and there was no answer.

I said move your trucks immediately. You have a 20 foot right a way, follow it.

The older guy went up and moved one truck, but drove away and the remaining truck was still there and he did not return. So I got the extra car, and blocked the truck in. And had a couple beers and waited.

Finally, someone rang the doorbell. I answered, and it was the young guy and maybe the boss, do not know.

I said I had a couple beers and did not think moving my vehicles was wise.

End result was i told them come back between ten and eleven in the morning and the driveway will be open. Take your truck then. Also advised the young one that sometime it is best to keep your mouth shut.

And told the boss that education of his employees would be beneficial. NO answer means NO.

Edit: I am normally a really easy going guy...
Hitler as in Adolf painted beautifully in watercolor. You just cant really tell what anyone is capable of. Circumstances change and people change. My coworker had a 12 year old spaniel of some sort that was very loving until the day it lunged and shredded up the face of his granddaughter. This required many extensive expensive plastic surgeries to correct. The vet who put the dog down called it "spaniel rage" apparently a little known affliction. Humans are not much different. These are thoughts on the human condition and not so much on the above referenced actions of a fellow tractor enthusiast. Good night.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Well, not sure where jj was going with that, but Henro didn't eat the face off any little girls. Or he won't admit to it if he did. I think his reaction was quite amusing. They left him with a truck blocking his drive, so he returned favor.

I would NEVER EVER have a problem with an emergency vehicle blocking my drive, or even police sitting in it to catch idiot speeders in our neighborhood. That's a VERY stark difference from simply not caring whether anyone can get in or out. If they're not home, one must assume they're eventually coming home, and just might want to get back in their drive. If they're home, one must assume that they may need to leave at any moment. I learned all that in high-school Driver's Ed. This is something I have tried for years to engrain in my step-daughter's head. Park so that others don't have to ask you to move. Plain and simple, and it's just common courtesy. For the longest time, she would park on the driveway and block in 4 other vehicles. She couldn't see what she was doing wrong. SO, one day, I did pretty much what Henro did, and let her out at my own convenience. I'm just glad she looked back before she threw it up in R and took off, which was her normal mode. I replaced our mailbox post about 4 times when she still lived here. If it weren't against ordinances, I'd have made her park on the street and walk in. I finally got it through her head that this is MY HOME, and that I do have a say about where people park. Made her mad for a few weeks, but then the incident where I blocked her in sort of got her attention. Then, we went over to her place for something, and I put my F-150 on her puny driveway and she couldn't get out of her garage. She got REALLY pissed off, and I just said "You do realize you're reacting the same way I do, don't you? That pretty much ended the discussions about where to park at my house. She's the only one I had trouble with out of all the kids.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My grandaughter, like others , would just drive in an park, not blocking my truck or Nana's car. Not a big deal but..... I'm the 'hidden driveway' on a curve of a road that gets a lot of traffic. EMS, Fire, skoolbusses,trucks and a herd of idiot drivers.
One day I asked her to please BACK IN. Calmly explained that if jer car needed a boost, Nana can get booter cables to her battery, that backing out into rad is well kinda dangerous( ZERO viz...) ,very illegal(HTA) and insurance probably wouldn't pay for any/all damages even if the other guy hit her car. She's a bright kid and quickly understood how serious this is. As an 'incentive', I said 'I'll give you $5 everytime you back in properly'. Hmm...she's here 4-5 times a week, always says thank you and giggles when I give her the fiver.
Asked her months ago, how does it feek to back in ?' 'Normal', easy,no problems. she's even got her boyfriend to backup his truck ! I don't pay him, she gets the cash.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
utility companies are above any law, their stuff don't stink

i have had dealings with all utility companies and their workers over the last few years and every single time they couldn't care less about you and i, rather they have a job to do and they're 'going to do it'--at any cost. And what is that cost? Block driveway? Refusal to stab the meter on a friday, forcing homeowner to endure a hot July weekend (in the south)? That was my experience....all because the jackwagon that works at the poco thought HE was "it".....so he calls his boss, says "he needs a permit" (and I don't!)....permit office closed....poco don't work residential on Sat/Sun...yeah was no fun, the maddest I've ever been in my life, and I haven't forgotten that guy, his boss, and his coworker.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
here's how I can deal with idots blocking me in MY driveway.....
acfl2.jpg

it's quite effective. Alsways have 4 BIG blocks to rest the offender's vehicle on...

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Firefighters generally have a common law right of entry without warrant in case of emergency. In Ontario, a firefighter also has a statute right of entry without warrant to adjacent lands in case of emergency or immediate threat to life or the environment and the right to tear down buildings, remove things, etc. to prevent the spread of fire. They may also prevent entry, record evidence, require equipment be operated, etc. They may authorize entry by other persons or agencies as they deem necessary and may direct the police to enforce such actions if required.

I have only once experienced opposition to such actions over the last 30+ years. I think most people understand the necessity and most firefighters wield such power with discretion. The laws in other jurisdictions may vary.

On the flip side: years ago I worked out of an old turn-of-the-century station with a narrow alley leading to a cramped parking lot behind, with only enough room for one shift to park (the oncoming shift would park on the street until after changeover). A contractor doing some roadwork in the area took to parking a piece of equipment in the lot overnight. Initially, they took care to keep it as discrete as possible, but one night we returned from a call to find they had parked it in the alley, blocking everyone in, locking everything up with padlocks and taking the keys.

Big mistake. A padlock only keeps an honest man out, it doesn't stand a chance against a crew of pissed off firefighters. Within the hour it was freed from it's chains, hotwired and blocked into the most remote corner of the lot. The next evening the alley was blocked at it's mouth by one of the crew's vehicles. A young lad came to the door and sheepishly said his boss told him to ask if he could park it in the lot. We sent him back to his boss with the message that if we ever found their equipment blocking us in again, he would have to dredge the river to find it. They opted to park it on the street thereafter.

Reactions: 4 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Anger and alcohol... what could possibly go wrong...
Was thinking about your comment and actually I :love: your sense of humor!

But seriously, I know there are some who turn mean and nasty when they consume alcohol...fortunately I am not one of them...for me my trigger seems to be two trucks blocking my driveway...LOL

I moved the car blocking the truck shortly after those guys left, and the truck disappeared at some point. Did not pay attention to it so no clue if last night or this morning...

Edit: By the way, we were home the whole day. I was working in the house next door that I am renovating, and the wife was in our house. The driveway segment in question is between the two houses. I had my van at the house next door because I had more things to carry over than I could carry in one trip. So I cannot imagine why they did not just ask...without question I would have said OK.

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Bell has a 50 foot easement on my property as they have some boxes that their service vans come work on almost daily. I have a separate driveway for it, and maintain a spot big enough to park their vans.

Then one summer one (or more) of their techs started leaving all their cut wires and garbage all over the ground and started dumping their ash trays.

So I called Bell to nicely ask them to speak to their guys. But Bell apparently no longer has people that can speak or understand English answering their phones.

So simple solution. I no longer maintain the area. Don't clear the snow around the their boxes or from the driveway, don't maintain the culvert and don't mow all the brush and trees that are now growing around them. And now those technicians get to snow shoe in from the road in the winter carrying all their tools and supplies. SUCKS TO BE YOU. And since I no longer have any Bell services or land line phone, I really don't care if you can get in to fix your network, LOL

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
This illustrates why world peace is improbable . In our collective D.N.A . lurks the need to quickly protect our cave/home at almost any cost. The thing I consider now that I am older before I admonish anyone is that nearly 20% of the population has a mental health disorder. This coupled with the increased number of guns in circulation gives me pause. I am more apt to smile and say thank you in that situation. Maybe the guy coming back in the morning is home polishing his blade.........

Yes it could be someone that is ignorant to their surroundings, and I would ask them to politely move. However if they challenge it in any way then I'm done with the smiles.
No one should feel they need to "walk on eggshells" to ask someone to stop breaking laws against them.

I have an 85lb German Shepherd trained to attack at my command, cameras everywhere, and my own assortment of self defense items. I was raised to not take or use things that don't belong to you...including other people's land.

What I am tired of is this mentality that if someone breaks the law against you, it is somehow your responsibility to be nice or improve your defenses.....Truck gets stolen, you should have had it locked up better or a gps device in it. What about the thief? Its ridiculous and thats what is wrong with our "improved" outlook on society. Crimes should have more severe punishment. I am fine with killing a murderer or putting a GTA thief in prison for 40 years. The punishment must far outweight the crime in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My first home after I left my parents house was a studio apartment in a large complex, where each apartment had an assigned, numbered parking spot. I parked two motorcycles crosswise at the head of the space, and my LandCruiser in the rest of the space. When I left in the Cruiser, I would re-park the motorcycles side-by-side lengthwise in my space. I worked 2nd shift at the time.

One night I came home, and found someone had moved the motorcycles, a parked a big, old, POS Mercury in my spot. Not knowing who did it, I parked in guest parking 100yds away. The next morning, I found out the boyfriend of the girl next door had done it. I confronted him, he apologized, and said it would not happen again. Guess what happened the next four nights in a row? The complex could not (or would not)
do anything because he wasn't a renter. Cops would do nothing because it was on private property.

After several warnings, this arrogant AH basically told me he would keep doing it and there was nothing I could do about it. I told him in no uncertain terms that he was very wrong about that.

The next time he did it, I used a chain & the LandCruiser to pull it out of my space, out of the parking lot, and into the middle of a major street, crosswise, blocking 3 of the five lanes. I un-hooked and went home.

It apparently took him a few days to find his car & get it out of impound.
He then knocked on my door, and threatened to kill me. I told him to take his best shot, and when he got up from the ground crying & bleeding, he swore it would never happen again, and his girlfriend also promised me it was over. It never happened again.

This guy was just a typical AH bully who never had anyone stand up to him in the past, and I like to think maybe I got him to take a hard look at himself, and change his ways.

Reactions: 4 users

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I made a thread in here a number of years ago about easements. Tree trimmers had destroyed an oak tree I had been grooming. It was about the size of a telephone pole and they cut every limp off the damn thing. And yes, it pissed me off but I got over as there was nothing I could do about it.
Recently, the power company, not the one I use btw, drove through my yard to replace their poles leaving ruts. Not big muddy ruts but I can see and feel them when I mow. 🤬 but again theres nothing I can do about it.

Oh and the oak is still alive and doing fine. Lol.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The utility workers do have a right to be on their easement but that’s all. Been on both sides of that, too. Folks used to get all wound up about us tearing up their yards (which we reseeded and strawed when necessary) beside the road and pulling up their mailboxes (which we also reset) when I worked on an underground cable laying crew. Boss man would politely pull a tape from the centerline of the road to educate them on the location of the easement where we had a legal right to operate. If it continued past that, he’d tell me to go sit in the van while the rest of the crew dealt with the complainant as I was the only crew member who hadn’t pulled time in jail and might have a future beyond basic manual labor.

Got to talking to one of the power company guys one day who had politely asked if they could use one of our fields for an equipment staging area for a couple of weeks while they were trimming trees in the area, which we did allow. They also dumped a big pile of wood chips on our place which worked out well for us and them. Asked him if they were specifically directed to notify customers and get permission before accessing their right of way. He said no and for folks with small lots in neighborhoods they didn’t. Told him I sure appreciated them letting us know. He asked if we ever do any hunting or shooting. Told him yes, turkeys, deer, sometimes squirrels, and of course some practice. He said, yeah and I don’t really want me or any of my guys catching a stray round because y’all don’t know we’re around so for large parcels we make sure the landowner is thoroughly aware of where we are, when we’re there, and when we leave. They also had large parcel owners that would let them stage equipment off the easement, had used their own equipment to pull out stuck trucks, let them know about problems they might run into. Basically, being polite and working with land owners rather than trying to run over them based on their legal rights just made their job a lot easier. Being a jerk always focused on legal rights v what is right just makes life a lot harder than it has to be.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The utility workers do have a right to be on their easement but that’s all. Been on both sides of that, too. Folks used to get all wound up about us tearing up their yards (which we reseeded and strawed when necessary) beside the road and pulling up their mailboxes (which we also reset) when I worked on an underground cable laying crew. Boss man would politely pull a tape from the centerline of the road to educate them on the location of the easement where we had a legal right to operate. If it continued past that, he’d tell me to go sit in the van while the rest of the crew dealt with the complainant as I was the only crew member who hadn’t pulled time in jail and might have a future beyond basic manual labor.

Got to talking to one of the power company guys one day who had politely asked if they could use one of our fields for an equipment staging area for a couple of weeks while they were trimming trees in the area, which we did allow. They also dumped a big pile of wood chips on our place which worked out well for us and them. Asked him if they were specifically directed to notify customers and get permission before accessing their right of way. He said no and for folks with small lots in neighborhoods they didn’t. Told him I sure appreciated them letting us know. He asked if we ever do any hunting or shooting. Told him yes, turkeys, deer, sometimes squirrels, and of course some practice. He said, yeah and I don’t really want me or any of my guys catching a stray round because y’all don’t know we’re around so for large parcels we make sure the landowner is thoroughly aware of where we are, when we’re there, and when we leave. They also had large parcel owners that would let them stage equipment off the easement, had used their own equipment to pull out stuck trucks, let them know about problems they might run into. Basically, being polite and working with land owners rather than trying to run over them based on their legal rights just made their job a lot easier. Being a jerk always focused on legal rights v what is right just makes life a lot harder than it has to be.
What I wonder is how they are expected to get onto the easement that is in effect for a sewer line, in my case. I know how the line runs, but cannot imagine how they could conveniently, or even easily, get to the manholes, if there was a need, without property owner permission.

And I don't think, but do not know if, they have the power to just cross your property at will to gain access to the easement. If so, it seems having an easement would be meaningless.

I should add, that if asked I would certainly give my permission.

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Was thinking about your comment and actually I :love: your sense of humor!

But seriously, I know there are some who turn mean and nasty when they consume alcohol...fortunately I am not one of them...for me my trigger seems to be two trucks blocking my driveway...LOL

I moved the car blocking the truck shortly after those guys left, and the truck disappeared at some point. Did not pay attention to it so no clue if last night or this morning...

Edit: By the way, we were home the whole day. I was working in the house next door that I am renovating, and the wife was in our house. The driveway segment in question is between the two houses. I had my van at the house next door because I had more things to carry over than I could carry in one trip. So I cannot imagine why they did not just ask...without question I would have said OK.
I was being sarcastic... I understand your reaction. I've been quite rough on a few numbnuts who come down my driveway... PAST THE TWO NO TRESSPASSING SIGNS... (y)

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
What I wonder is how they are expected to get onto the easement that is in effect for a sewer line, in my case. I know how the line runs, but cannot imagine how they could conveniently, or even easily, get to the manholes, if there was a need, without property owner permission.

And I don't think, but do not know if, they have the power to just cross your property at will to gain access to the easement. If so, it seems having an easement would be meaningless.

I should add, that if asked I would certainly give my permission.
That’s a great question for which I don’t have a definitive legal answer. We have a sewer easement on our place which I suppose they could access by coming down from the public road but it would be a very long drive and to get any equipment down there would require clearing a path again in many places other than a couple of us who keep our part bush hogged at least annually. If they asked and weren’t going to make a huge mess, we’d let them cross our land but I don’t know if they could compel our cooperation.

Seems like they just let it grow up and if they have to they’ll run a forestry mulcher or prime mover with a super heavy duty bush hog through it to clear a path if they need access.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yes it could be someone that is ignorant to their surroundings, and I would ask them to politely move. However if they challenge it in any way then I'm done with the smiles.
No one should feel they need to "walk on eggshells" to ask someone to stop breaking laws against them.

I have an 85lb German Shepherd trained to attack at my command, cameras everywhere, and my own assortment of self defense items. I was raised to not take or use things that don't belong to you...including other people's land.

What I am tired of is this mentality that if someone breaks the law against you, it is somehow your responsibility to be nice or improve your defenses.....Truck gets stolen, you should have had it locked up better or a gps device in it. What about the thief? Its ridiculous and thats what is wrong with our "improved" outlook on society. Crimes should have more severe punishment. I am fine with killing a murderer or putting a GTA thief in prison for 40 years. The punishment must far outweight the crime in my opinion.
I have had a permit to carry a gun in a concealed fashion for 25 years and know several policemen. One interesting piece of advice I received was that when confronted with the threat shoot to kill and then fire 2 "warning" shots into the ground. Optics you might call it. Also , never wound the assailant lest they find a good lawyer and sympathetic jury and send you to the poorhouse. Another memorable line learned was " I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" (jury/pallbearers). I eliminated a ground hog last week with my .22 .Two shots at 40 yards. I felt little remorse. I am "staying in shape" you might say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
[502843, member: 41665"]
That’s a great question for which I don’t have a definitive legal answer. We have a sewer easement on our place which I suppose they could access by coming down from the public road but it would be a very long drive and to get any equipment down there would require clearing a path again in many places other than a couple of us who keep our part bush hogged at least annually. If they asked and weren’t going to make a huge mess, we’d let them cross our land but I don’t know if they could compel our cooperation.

Seems like they just let it grow up and if they have to they’ll run a forestry mulcher or prime mover with a super heavy duty bush hog through it to clear a path if they need access.
[/QUOTE]
If they have access via a public road I would have a hard time believing they can legally trespass on private property because it is “more convenient” for them. However I am not sure. Good question.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have had a permit to carry a gun in a concealed fashion for 25 years and know several policemen. One interesting piece of advice I received was that when confronted with the threat shoot to kill and then fire 2 "warning" shots into the ground. Optics you might call it. Also , never wound the assailant lest they find a good lawyer and sympathetic jury and send you to the poorhouse. Another memorable line was " I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" (jury/pallbearers). I murdered a ground hog last week with my .22 .Took 2 shots at 40 yards. I felt little remorse. I am "staying in shape" you might say.
I have thought about getting a concealed carry permit, in the same PA county as Jimmyjazz. Only because I figured it would be good to have in the event I ever happened to have a pistol in my possession, for whatever reason. Big problems if you do not have a permit and actually have a gun in your possession in a way that breaks the rules.

But since the likely hood of that ever happening is small, I probably will never get that permit...just try to think ahead sometimes.

My ground hogs obey the rules and I do not mind them. They put their holes places that do not bother me, so I do not bother them. At one time I shot a few, but no need these days. We coexist peacefully now... :ROFLMAO: