frozen stumps

tcalvin48

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, BH77 16" bucket,thumb, WG24, BB2560, WC68, RCR1860
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Hi Everybody,

I would like to know your thoughts about using a WG24 stump grinder while everything is frozen. I’m also thinking about taking out the wood chipper. I can get my tractor around while the ground is frozen and get something done. My land is very wet and I would have to wait until late summer otherwise.

Please let me know what you think,

Tom Stoltz

in Maine

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I can tell you that splitting wood when frozen is much easier than when it is thawed. I believe this may apply to your situation as well. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think the opposite of jimmy, I think it's a bad idea.
Frozen wood may split easy, but it cuts and grinds really hard and is really hard on equipment.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I have no experience stump grinding but lots chainsawing.

Frozen logs take longer to cut and are harder on chains. We use half skip chains in summer but in winter no need as wood is much harder.

Think about taking a serated knife and cutting block of frozen hamburger versus thawed. (haha) I would think grinding would be about the same. Much different than longitudinal splitting which is more about shearing

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
The cutter bits are carbide. It will cut the wood but I agree it probably will be harder on the bits. That said. If the have to do it I would say you just need to go a little slower and make sure your not feeding the grinder into the stump so fast that the grinder starts to swing on it's pivot. I have seen the bit's on E-Bay for $10 each. Forget how much they are at Woodland Mills but I know it's a bunch more...

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I think the opposite of jimmy, I think it's a bad idea.
Frozen wood may split easy, but it cuts and grinds really hard and is really hard on equipment.
I don't think I'd worry about the frozen wood so much as I'd worry about the frozen ground. I do agree on it being a bad idea though.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Get your FAVORITE knife and buy a block of ice.....
Go chop the block with your knife..
Report back who wins....
hint..... you'll be looking for another favorite knife....

As for when jobs get done.... everything 'weather related' HAS to be done when the weather permits it to be done.. an extension of the 'make hay ,while the sun shines' saying

I spent 3 hours today , clearing out roadside ditches(city's job...) for neighbours as it was warm,sunny and didn't want their basements flooded. I could have been waxing the BX23S.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Personally, I wouldn’t chip frozen wood with my chipper. I might move the brush from wherever it is that the ground has to be frozen to get to it to somewhere I could access it for chipping when it thaws. We actually do that sort of thing routinely moving logs from swampy areas back to the wood yard when the ground is sufficiently frozen or dry, either of which is normally a small window.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If you find you'll need some replacement teeth after your grinding there's other options for them. I ruined 8 teeth instantly when I found a buried chunk of rebar while grinding a stump below ground level. It left no time to react as the damage was done in an instant.

Info on sources of replacement teeth here

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I ruined 8 teeth instantly when I found a buried chunk of rebar

OUCH !!!!

neighbour 'found' a chain ink fence pole IN his tree. After 3 years ,still trying to figure out HOW to get the trunk gone. It's 4' diameter, pole 1' in..and I'm thinking 'something' else is in there as well....

he 'should' have removed it when excavator dug the basement for new house...wifey said no.,it's pretty....

tcalvin48

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, BH77 16" bucket,thumb, WG24, BB2560, WC68, RCR1860
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Thanks for the replies and thoughts about frozen wood. Guess I'll let it pass, stay inside and read a good book.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I've used my homemade stump grinder quite often in the early spring with frost still in the ground. Being that the teeth on mine are carbide I didn't really notice to much difference .I actually like doing stumps with frost in the ground. Way less mess . I have very stony land so the stones are what are hard on them. When I hit a stone you hear the sound and I'am usually pretty quick on backing off. It takes a few hits before I have to change them out.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've used my homemade stump grinder quite often in the early spring with frost still in the ground. Being that the teeth on mine are carbide I didn't really notice to much difference .I actually like doing stumps with frost in the ground. Way less mess . I have very stony land so the stones are what are hard on them. When I hit a stone you hear the sound and I'am usually pretty quick on backing off. It takes a few hits before I have to change them out.
I like your stump grinder. Do you have other pictures, or a link to how you built it? Thanks.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
I like your stump grinder. Do you have other pictures, or a link to how you built it? Thanks.
Sorry I don't have ant pics of the build. It was done even before I have a cell phone , and never took any pics of builds at that time. Was salvaged gear box from ??? just picked up the metal from scrap yard etc: It was first made to be 3 pth on Massey 1655 [rear pto 1000 rpm ] over the years it's been changed to mount on a Massey gc 2300 [with home made front quick hitch] now its on my Kubota bx 2370-1. I'am guessing well over 1000 stumps done and more to come.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Up here in the northeast on hardwood, it is much harder when frozen.

On softwood, you get better chips when it is frozen and less ripping.