Woodland Mills Stump Grinder Replacement Teeth

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If you're in need of replacement teeth for your WG24 Stump Grinder, here's an alternate source:
Special (gabdon.com)

I touched a piece of buried rebar while recently grinding and it instantly ruined 8 teeth. A set of 6 replacement teeth from Woodland mills is $124 with the $25 shipping charge.

I just ordered 12 teeth from Gabdon Industries and they shipped the next day for $126 with the above special. That's twice as many teeth for only $2 more.

Quite a savings and at that price the extras are nice to have on hand for that inevitable "oops". And made in the USA by a family owned business is nice too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Order placed 6/7/21 and delivered 6/11/21 (5 days!) That's excellent service and a perfect fit!
New WG24 Teeth.jpg

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for the hook up Bird dogger. Placed an order on tuesday (maybe it was wednesday) and they arrived today (friday)! That's freakin service for sure.

Got 20 new teefers. The one at the top of the pic without the green covering is an original from woodland mills.

New teeth from Gabdon.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

tcalvin48

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, BH77 16" bucket,thumb, WG24, BB2560, WC68, RCR1860
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
This is the fourth season I’ve had my WG24 and I think the ‘edge’ teeth have worn down to the point of needing replacement. My question is how far down can the teeth be worn before you replace them? The ‘edge’ teeth are just about flush blade disc.
I’m assuming a 24mm box wretch will do the trick, though it appears you don’t get to turn it more than a 6th of a turn. I can at least get it on the nuts.
Do you take the teeth off to have them sharpened? And do you sharpened them yourself or send them out -- where?
Thanks for your input,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yes, teeth would need to be removed.

I would think that you'd need to either replace them or haver them re-tipped if possible. The good thing is that you can always swap them out for teeth that are located higher up on the cutting wheel (that rarely get used).

Here's a link to a company that provides sharpening/re-tipping service. The woodland mills teeth and sharpening service info/cost is on the second row of the home page. https://www.jeffssharpening.com/index.html

I have not used them, I simply bought replacement teeth from the company that Bird dogger suggested.

Reactions: 1 users

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Yes, teeth would need to be removed.

I would think that you'd need to either replace them or haver them re-tipped if possible. The good thing is that you can always swap them out for teeth that are located higher up on the cutting wheel (that rarely get used).

Here's a link to a company that provides sharpening/re-tipping service. The woodland mills teeth and sharpening service info/cost is on the second row of the home page. https://www.jeffssharpening.com/index.html

I have not used them, I simply bought replacement teeth from the company that Bird dogger suggested.
Thanks, dirtydeed, that’s a lot of info. I had wondered about swapping out with the upper teeth. My B2650 doesn’t have the power to make deep cuts. I’m going look at this option today. I do have 6 teeth from Woodland Mills already, might just use them.
The retipping cost for the WG24 teeth is about the same cost as the teeth as bird dogger’s suggestion for new teeth. I’m not sure if you bought you new teeth from Jeff’s or Gabdon. Gabdon’s site says a 15 piece minimum order rather than the 12 bird dogger stated.
The teeth on my WG24 are so worn that I don’t think they are candidates for resharpening. I am a bit surprised they wore away so fast.
Thanks again,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I ordered my teeth from Gabdon like Bird Dogger. They were outstanding to deal with and I got them within like 2 days. Amazing.

Best of luck to you.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks, dirtydeed, that’s a lot of info. I had wondered about swapping out with the upper teeth. My B2650 doesn’t have the power to make deep cuts. I’m going look at this option today. I do have 6 teeth from Woodland Mills already, might just use them.
The retipping cost for the WG24 teeth is about the same cost as the teeth as bird dogger’s suggestion for new teeth. I’m not sure if you bought you new teeth from Jeff’s or Gabdon. Gabdon’s site says a 15 piece minimum order rather than the 12 bird dogger stated.
The teeth on my WG24 are so worn that I don’t think they are candidates for resharpening. I am a bit surprised they wore away so fast.
Thanks again,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine
Hi Tom,
I found the same power issue with my B2650 in that the inner teeth were never used and a handy source for some quick change outs.
One thing I found out quickly and posted about here is that any unknown buried object in the ground can sure take out the teeth in an instant! Hence, my search for the replacement teeth. Those replacement teeth I ordered have stood up well to the grinder. Can't tell them apart from the originals.
David

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Hi Tom,
I found the same power issue with my B2650 in that the inner teeth were never used and a handy source for some quick change outs.
One thing I found out quickly and posted about here is that any unknown buried object in the ground can sure take out the teeth in an instant! Hence, my search for the replacement teeth. Those replacement teeth I ordered have stood up well to the grinder. Can't tell them apart from the originals.
David
Well, I got a surprise when I removed one of the rim teeth. I compared it to a brand new Woodland Mills tooth and the old tooth hardly appeared to have worn at all. I’m guessing I should have the rim teeth resharpened… they’ve got to be dull because I have done some rock grinding with them and in general the WG24 is not as aggressive as it used to be. If they come back too short for use on the rim, I can always use them for upper teeth.
I’m putting the backhoe on today so it won’t be for a week or so that I will get around to changing over the teeth. I am going to order some teeth from Gabdon’s, though I think the special sale is over.
Thanks for all the help,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
I ordered my teeth from Gabdon like Bird Dogger. They were outstanding to deal with and I got them within like 2 days. Amazing.

Best of luck to you.
Ordered a full set yesterday. I'm curious about having the old teeth sharpened... we'll see.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Hey Dirtydeed,
I finally got around to replacing the old teeth with new ones from Gabdon. The new nuts are impossible to get on the new teeth. I even took some inside and placed them in a vise and torque them with a long wrench. I could not get the nuts all the way on the teeth. One I did manage to get a couple of threads showing above the nut. When I took that nut off the threads inside were like flattened, but not stripped.
Anyway, I called Gabdon and spoke with John for a while, then he went to get an answer. When he came back he told me they would send a new set of teeth and insure the nuts fit. 34 teeth is not small change, but they are replacing them.
John also told me the old nuts would not fit the new teeth... a bit strange I thought.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Interesting. I had no issue at all. I did order new nuts with the new teeth.

I believe the nuts supplied by Gabdon are of the locking type. Not nylock, but they use deforming metal. It's likely that they will mess up the threads a bit once tightened/torqued down. I don't think that they can be re-used.

The original nuts from Woodland Mills were of the Nylock type and a bit deeper. I don't know if they are the same thread as what Gabdon uses.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hey Dirtydeed,
I finally got around to replacing the old teeth with new ones from Gabdon. The new nuts are impossible to get on the new teeth. I even took some inside and placed them in a vise and torque them with a long wrench. I could not get the nuts all the way on the teeth. One I did manage to get a couple of threads showing above the nut. When I took that nut off the threads inside were like flattened, but not stripped.
Anyway, I called Gabdon and spoke with John for a while, then he went to get an answer. When he came back he told me they would send a new set of teeth and insure the nuts fit. 34 teeth is not small change, but they are replacing them.
John also told me the old nuts would not fit the new teeth... a bit strange I thought.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine
Boy, that's a strange one!! I know Gabdon's teeth were a "fine thread" vs the standard thread on the original teeth. But you'd sure think the nuts they send with their new teeth would be of the correct "size/thread".

I'm sure you know....if they were of the "crimped" style locking nut, that the uncrimped end is the starting point for threading them on the studs.

Makes you wonder if they unknowingly just got a batch of nuts with the wrong thread and you happened to be the unlucky one to find out first? Good on them for replacing them right away for you!

With a proper thread chaser you might be able to salvage some of them and use them on the inside positions on the cutter?

Can you post a few pics of those cutters and the oddball nuts?

David

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Stump grinders use up a lot of parts.
Stump grinder teeth can be retipped as long as the base metal isn't worn away.
I use 700 series green teeth. I watched lots of YouTube and came to the conclusion that's the best design.
I have seen upgrade wheels to upgrade from that that style pictured above to the greenteeth and they're not cheap.

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Boy, that's a strange one!! I know Gabdon's teeth were a "fine thread" vs the standard thread on the original teeth. But you'd sure think the nuts they send with their new teeth would be of the correct "size/thread".

I'm sure you know....if they were of the "crimped" style locking nut, that the uncrimped end is the starting point for threading them on the studs.

Makes you wonder if they unknowingly just got a batch of nuts with the wrong thread and you happened to be the unlucky one to find out first? Good on them for replacing them right away for you!

With a proper thread chaser you might be able to salvage some of them and use them on the inside positions on the cutter?

David

David
The picture is as close as I can get, if you can enlarge it you can make out the deformed threads. I understand about the threads deforming as a locking technic, but I haven't found one yet that can be turned with a 1/2" ratchet. If I use a longer box wrench, I can get the tooth bolt to just even with the end of the nut, but no further. Using a vise and the longer wrench I got the one in the picture to a couple of threads past the nut, but the amount of force on my part was way more than would be possible installing them on the grinder. It's like the tolerances are too tight. I should mention a lot of them were very hard to start the nut on the threads. Why not just use a lock washer and be done with it?
I'm guessing that if Gabdon didn't think something was wrong, they wouldn't have replaced them.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine
IMG_1734.jpg

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Hey Dirtydeed,
Tom Stoltz
in Maine
Well, I just received a call from Witson Quality Tools and spoke with Scott. Wit-son makes the teeth for Gabdon. They will be sending a new set of teeth and nuts that should be a bit easier to turn on. I will be returning the first set I got from Gabdon. So I am still waiting.
But I do want to mention that Witson Quailty has a better price. they also re-tip teeth --$5.50/tooth.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
It's just the wrong thread pitch, likely the difference between standard and metric. If you had a thread gauge you could easily figure out the difference.
Additionally the locking part of the nut will only damage the upper threads of the bolt, where the crimp in the lock nut comes in contact with the bolt threads. If you didn't bugger up all the new teeth using the wrong Nuys, and they don't ask for them back, I'd be making a trip to a good hardware store and getting the proper nuts for them.

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Okay, I should update my experience with the Wit-son/Gabdon replacement teeth for my WG24. I can’t say the new teeth and nuts they sent me were many easier to put on the wheel. Scott from Wit-son did say they use an impact wrench and have no problems. Well, an impact wrench and the Woodland Mills WG24 are not all that compatible IMHO. There are at least 12 teeth you cannot access with an impact wrench on the WG24. I don’t have an impact wrench and had to resort to a 2ft breaker bar – actually a 2ft pipe that fit over the handle of my ratchet wrench and it was a bear. With most of the teeth I could only hand thread the nut about ¾ of a turn. I used a couple of wrenches to turn the nuts up to the locking threads to make sure I didn’t cross-thread them before I installed them on the grinder. With the resistance of the threads, you can’t be sure if you are cross-threading or not.

Then to think I’ll have to go to the same amount of work to take them off when it’s time to replace them is not something I want to think about. Someone said with the deforming threads the teeth will probably not be reusable which means they can’t be resharpened or re-tipped. If that is the case, then the lower price per tooth is actually more expensive then then replacing them with teeth that can be re-sharpened.

If I were to do this again, I would buy the Woodland Mills teeth… much cheaper in the long run because you can resharpen/re-tip them. And probably a lot easier to work with.

That said, in all fairness, the Wit-son/Gabdon teeth work very well on the WG24 and the people of the company (they are actually one in the same) are great to work with.

Tom Stoltz
in Maine

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
I'm curious about having the old teeth sharpened... we'll see.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine
Does anybody have any experience with resharpening or retipping stump grinder teeth? I have a set of Woodland Mills WG24 that I took off my grinder last year and would like to have them ready when tractor season begins.
Tom Stoltz
in Maine