Fluid in finish mower gear box?

Jankey82

Equipment
B7100 3cyc 4x4 4´ lmc mower, KC box blade, boompole
Apr 27, 2013
Hilliard, Fl. U.S
Hi all, I have a 48" LLC finish mower and want to change the fluid in it. Is it gear oil or tranny fluid in there? Thanks

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Water finds its way into gear oil. Condensation, the vent, the fact that most mowers sit outside. I would drain it, and put new gear oil in it. How much? Measure what you drain out of it. After that, check it periodically.
Because it gets so hot in Florida, you may want to go to tractor/implement dealership and ask for their recommendation. 85W140 gear oil may be better- they will know.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah that's true, the Southern climate would have a bit to do with condensation as well. Good call Hodge, I didn't think of that.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Most gear boxes only hold a few ounces of gear oil. Due to the high temps they operate at It's a good idea to change them every year. At the very least they should be inspected for moisture.

Depending on manufacturer specs some take different weight oil but most for applications Eric is correct with 80w90.

Most people seem to neglect the gearbox on their implements. Since they can go for years of trouble free service the rule of thumb seems to be "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but the damage is internal and goes unnoticed until it's to late. A gearbox for a finish mower probably cost between $500 - $700 but only holds $10 or $15 worth of oil. It's a no brainer which one I prefer to change.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Most gear boxes only hold a few ounces of gear oil. Due to the high temps they operate at It's a good idea to change them every year. At the very least they should be inspected for moisture.

Depending on manufacturer specs some take different weight oil but most for applications Eric is correct with 80w90.

Most people seem to neglect the gearbox on their implements. Since they can go for years of trouble free service the rule of thumb seems to be "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but the damage is internal and goes unnoticed until it's to late. A gearbox for a finish mower probably cost between $500 - $700 but only holds $10 or $15 worth of oil. It's a no brainer which one I prefer to change.
Generally, it's amazing how much abuse machinery takes, and keeps going. I'm sure there are a ton of pushmowers that have never had the oil changed. I knew a woman who kept her oil topped off, but never changed it. I suppose it burned/cycled enough through that good oil was going through it enough to keep it going. How many people service the differentials on their trucks? They keep up with the engine oil, and maybe the transmission, but a lot never give attention to the differentials, or transfer cases. An implement would suffer the most, I believe. Weeks and months with no use, then high stress, than back to sitting. What people do with their stuff is their business, but it urks me when they generally neglect them, then gripe when something breaks.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Hodge made mention of the oil in rear differentials of a truck.
I replaced the oil in my rear diff (1996 Ford F-150) with fully synthetic amsoil and noticed a difference immediatley.
Coasted much smoother in neutral and even helped the gas mileage.
Imagine jogging on the spot versus jogging in water.
Way better!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
A neighbor a few house up from me owns a rather large chunk of land and spent over $7,000 for a Great Dane zero turn rider, a professional model. Well none of his 4 sons bother to check the engine oil when they go to cut the grass and grenaded the engine. To the tune of $2,200 to replace it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A neighbor a few house up from me owns a rather large chunk of land and spent over $7,000 for a Great Dane zero turn rider, a professional model. Well none of his 4 sons bother to check the engine oil when they go to cut the grass and grenaded the engine. To the tune of $2,200 to replace it.
I am not saying that they aren't responsible (the kids), but ultimately, the parents are. If they don't teach and demand maintenance, it won't happen. You can't ignore teaching your kids, then blow up when they don't take care of something.

Jankey82

Equipment
Apr 27, 2013
Hilliard, Fl. U.S
Well everyone after reviewing all the info and I took all covers off and checked for wet spots and inspected it and no leaks no wetness at all so I washed it and ran it @1000 rpm without cutting grass for and hour and reinspected it and no oil. After letting it cool I drained it and it was a real light cream color, so I changed it. I get any kind of oil I need from our mechanic at the construction job I do. Really he fills my can with off road every week so they supply the diesel for my tractor too. Thank you so much guys for all the great info it made it so much easier for me. Love this site

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Well everyone after reviewing all the info and I took all covers off and checked for wet spots and inspected it and no leaks no wetness at all so I washed it and ran it @1000 rpm without cutting grass for and hour and reinspected it and no oil. After letting it cool I drained it and it was a real light cream color, so I changed it. I get any kind of oil I need from our mechanic at the construction job I do. Really he fills my can with off road every week so they supply the diesel for my tractor too. Thank you so much guys for all the great info it made it so much easier for me. Love this site
If you didn't flush the gear box (with diesel or solvent) after draining that milky oil out, you might want to replace that oil a second time in case there was still any moisture left in the residue that remained inside the gear box after draining it. It doesn't take much moisture to contaminate oil, especially the small amount that a gear box holds.
With good quality clean oil, the gear box will run cooler, quieter and last longer.

Jankey82

Equipment
Apr 27, 2013
Hilliard, Fl. U.S
Yes, i did flush it well. And have checked it twice since i changed it, and it is clear as it was when it was changed. Thank you so much!