FEL Safety Boot

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Recently, while my dealer was showing me a tractor with a FEL, he put a safety boot around the cylinder while the bucket was lifted. I asked him if they had them for sale, but he said they had them made. Do you know where I can purchase one or will I have to have one made? Thank you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You will either have to make your own or have someone make one for you. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
See if you can measure the one at the bota dealership along with a picture. Local welding shop/ machine shop should be able to make one up for you

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My Dad made some stops for his Mercruiser boat outdrive that had slow leaks in the hydraulic cylinders that would sag in storage. He cut a slot in PVC pipe so that it was a snug snap onto the extended rod. Looks similar to a giant roll pin. Worked really well and an inexpensive option that can be done with hand tools.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is very, very few good reasons to work under a lifted FEL or piece of equipment!
It is way better to remove or work over something that can Squash you like a bug!;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There is very, very few good reasons to work under a lifted FEL or piece of equipment!
It is way better to remove or work over something that can Squash you like a bug!;)
that though made me think of these $%@#$# stink bugs.....we still have them!!!!!!:mad:
Wife lit a candle last night - one of them sumbeauuuches flew a little to close....poor thing....NOT!!!!:D

I would like to see a picture of this KUBOTA made lock !

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
An older fellow that i used to sell parts to lost his life due to the lack of a safety boot. Raised the box on his truck to repair something and hydraulics holding it up failed. An easily fabricated boot is money and time well spent.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
In order to get my tractor in the barn with the FEL and rear blade on it I have to pick up the FEL and drive it over my welder. For years I've been resting it on a 5-1/2' 6X6, stood on end. The 6X6 is forever in the way, when it isn't in use. I'm really liking this idea - I think I'll use some unistrut or 1-1/2X1-1/2 channel iron and a Velcro strap, and give it a try...
Thanks for posting the idea!

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
How about taking two angle irons cut to length and bolting them together with carriage bolts in a 'U' shape (put the buttons in so it ill not scratch ram).
Holes for two pins to hold it on.

Ray

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I'm really liking this idea - I think I'll use some unistrut or 1-1/2X1-1/2 channel iron and a Velcro strap, and give it a try...
Thanks for posting the idea!
Velcro strap...... yikes...... wouldn't trust that. It's amazing stuff but it ages. Can see that failing when you least expect it.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I keep my D-17's loader up with a 4x4 across the bracing that goes around the hood. That let's us work on it all we want, especially when we need to test the hydraulics and such. It's common enough that I'm surprised I haven't made a permanent 'holder' on the cylinders like the new tractors have.

I'm kinda with NIWolfman on the 'detach' and work on it side. Safest thing you could do is to make a loader working rack. It looks something like a super sturdy ladder that is self standing. You lift the loader bucket to the level on the ladder you need and pull forward, resting the bucket on the 'rung' of the stand. Then you can work on whatever and the bucket won't drop. When not in use it makes for a handy stand to clean rugs, hang things on, etc. A couple of 8' 4x4's with 2x4's for rungs would work.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I went back out to the Kubota dealer and took a couple of photos of the FEL safety boot or cylinder lock as he called it. It is about 2 1/4 inches in diameter and about 18 inches long. It is hinged with the two halves held together with a pin. He said they had a local machine shop make them.

Attachments

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Velcro strap...... yikes...... wouldn't trust that. It's amazing stuff but it ages. Can see that failing when you least expect it.
All the strap does is hold the channel or angle onto the rod, it's not under tension. If age is really that much of a concern, replace every 5 years.

Rubber tires and hoses age also and can fail when you least expect it, do you not have that around your place either?

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Since I originally posted this thread, I sketched a design for a safety boot (or cylinder lockout) and had a friend with a welding machine make it for me (you can see he is not a professional welder but it works). He uses some scrap pieces he had around so it didn't cost me anything. I agree with some previous posts that you should never work under a raised lift, but if you find yourself in situations that require you do, then it is better to be safe. I wanted to share these with you in case any are interested in making one. Have a good day.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Since I originally posted this thread, I sketched a design for a safety boot (or cylinder lockout) and had a friend with a welding machine make it for me (you can see he is not a professional welder but it works). He uses some scrap pieces he had around so it didn't cost me anything. I agree with some previous posts that you should never work under a raised lift, but if you find yourself in situations that require you do, then it is better to be safe. I wanted to share these with you in case any are interested in making one. Have a good day.

Excellent work - and that would not cost an arm or leg either.

Dumb question - do you use ONLY one? and if so - if the cylinder leaks down over time (assuming it is up for hours) would it place a strain on the system as only one is supporting the load of the bucket? I hope you get my question.

Or to better answer my question - it IS ONLY used as a device to prevent it from potential falling and therefor saving a human under the bucket? If it ever moved quickly the last worry would be about the machine! :)

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I originally saw one at the dealer and they only used just one cylinder lockout. The mechanic was working on something with the bucket raised and had the cylinder lockout in place. Should something cause the hydraulics to fail and the bucket to drop, it is designed to catch the cylinder and prevent the FEL from falling further and injuring the worker. It is primarily a safety device to prevent injury or worse.

However, in my neck of the woods, some folks use an FEL to lift a deer while skinning it. I can certainly see the need for something like this to be in place before getting under the bucket. It may save a life.

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Using a safety device when working under anything suspended by hydraulics alone might save your life.

I made one for each machine as the lengths are different.

Mine is a piece of 3/8-in thick x 3-in each side angle iron onto which I welded a handle and two nuts (oriented longways on the ridge) right on the peak of the angle.

Split a piece of 2-in PVC lengthwise.

Heat the angle iron. Lay one of the half-section PVCs into the angle.

Use another piece of angle to sandwich the PVC and mash all together (use loader for convenience).

Now you have a PVC-lined piece of angle that will hold up any hydraulic arm. At least any hydraulic eqpt we're likely to encounter.

Elevate the loader completely, install the PVC-lined safety device, and strap into place with two zip ties, one though each nut, encircling the shaft.

PVC prevents dinging the chrome rod.

Please post back your experiences so we may all continue to learn.