F##kin FORDS!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Once you wake up and understand there is ZERO money in making a good,reliable product you QUIT buying 'new and better' stuff. Doesn't matter if it's cars, computers, tools, etc.it's just a 'numbers game' to them. Make and market something you just 'have to have', can't live without. OK, some things are better ,but really a 4WD, 4 door, 600HP pickup with 500# of electronic toys used as a 'grocery getter' with a 65K price tag ? Since they've made MILLIONS of these 'trucks', they should be $5K, no more, after all the volume discounts on the bits and pieces that go into the truck. When I was buying computer chips and LEDs, the price break at 100 was about 1/3 of '1 to 10' pcs, at 1000, 20%, never asked the cost at 1 million, but it will be substantial ! funny how those savings aren't passed on to the consumer. First cellphone I had( the brick) cost $2500, today the 'smart phone' is $1100+-, when it SHOULD be about $45..even then that gives them a HUGE profit.

and that is how wal-mart makes money hand over fist. Volume. I call it mass marketing. That chain and others are so powerful that they tell the manufacturer how much they are going to pay for items, NOT the other way around where it would normally happen. Normally a manufacturer would set a price and if the retailer wants it they'll pay it. Mass marketing happens when wal-mart (for example) says I'm gonna pay $1.50 for this item and expect to sell X million per month. So the mfg sees potential, and they will oftentimes build or make a whole separate line of that item, maybe with smaller package contents (12 oz instead of 14oz, or whatever) or somehow cut the cost to make it, simply to sell to the mass marketers.

I saw this stuff happen in the early 2000's with John Deere. Ever wonder why the LX100 series mowers disappeared? Because Home Depot couldn't sell them at $4500/ea, so Deere rebadged the Sabre line, cheapened it up, and sold them in droves to Home Depot as the L100 series (L100, L108, L110, etc) which eventually became the LA 100 series then the D100 series. Deere says it helps them sell mowers at a less expensive price point, but what they failed to understand is that they're selling a chinese piece of crap for a grand more than a MTD which was essentially the same machine but different color that people didn't automatically recognize. That's mass marketing for you.

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
Would be my choice if I were looking for a 1/2 ton truck (or a 5.4).
Yikes! A 5.4? You are the first Ford tech I have ever heard say that. I have a 2020 F150 SCREW with the 5.0 and love it. I had a 2008 F150 SCREW with the 5.4 and hated that thing.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yikes! A 5.4? You are the first Ford tech I have ever heard say that. I have a 2020 F150 SCREW with the 5.0 and love it. I had a 2008 F150 SCREW with the 5.4 and hated that thing.
Guess it’s time to confess my personal truck is a 250 with a 6.0. If it ever dies I will replace it with another one in a minute.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My 2012 F250 with a 6.2 gas turns 10 years old this year with 107998 miles. Hopefully I will never have to replace it.

Reactions: 2 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
My 2012 F250 with a 6.2 gas turns 10 years old this year with 107998 miles. Hopefully I will never have to replace it.
those don’t have many issues. Coils cracking and arcing to the fuel rail or head can cause weird electrical issues due to RFI. Broken valve springs have been known to happen as well

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The main problem that I have had is it's weight compared with the 2002 Toyota Tundra. It will sink down where the Tundra sorta floated across soft ground.

I would be in deep dookie without 4wd, although I have never really figured out what it does with the limited slip and turning??

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
My best friend had an F150, 2010 Triton that had the cam phaser issues. Was 5 years ago, he took the engine down to the block still sitting in the truck to replace all the timing chains etc. He had a heart attack twice during that time and did not survive the 2nd . His wife and family were not going to get this truck put back together so I ended up doing it. Was a pain at every turn He had all new parts but had all the reusable parts spread out all over. I took 2 weeks vacation and spent every day of it getting the truck fixed. His wife then sold it.

I miss my friend but I spoke to him each of those days as well with what the hell did you do with the bolts ? and head gaskets, coil packs.... Im not a Ford mechanic but have worked on many over the years along with GM and others. Engine very cool design but not much room to work on them. Then the dreaded spark plug snapping off.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
My best friend had an F150, 2010 Triton that had the cam phaser issues. Was 5 years ago, he took the engine down to the block still sitting in the truck to replace all the timing chains etc. He had a heart attack twice during that time and did not survive the 2nd . His wife and family were not going to get this truck put back together so I ended up doing it. Was a pain at every turn He had all new parts but had all the reusable parts spread out all over. I took 2 weeks vacation and spent every day of it getting the truck fixed. His wife then sold it.

I miss my friend but I spoke to him each of those days as well with what the hell did you do with the bolts ? and head gaskets, coil packs.... Im not a Ford mechanic but have worked on many over the years along with GM and others. Engine very cool design but not much room to work on them. Then the dreaded spark plug snapping off.
Wow. That is deep and appreciated. I've changed engines and done brakes and excetra for friends and family. But nothing to that extent.

Lost my closest brother last year. Therefore, I feel it.

Thank you for posting.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Wow. That is deep and appreciated. I've changed engines and done brakes and excetra for friends and family. But nothing to that extent.

Lost my closest brother last year. Therefore, I feel it.

Thank you for posting.
Thank you....i knew Tim from the time we were 13 till he passes at 54. Were same age.
Was like my brother. I know he was laughing at me syncing those twin cams. We were like that as friends so it was normal. I keep in touch with his kids and wife. Way life works.
Sorry about your brother, thanks for reading.

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Got it all back together and no coolant leaks or exhaust leaks. Ran it for several miles then an intermittant no crank issue when starting. only clicked like a bad battery. Load tested battery and it failed. Replaced battery only to find still had the same issue. Guess what the problem was.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Had a 22 F250 for a little while and ended up selling it and taking pandemic profits - it wasn't a bad truck by any means and seemed relatively easy to work on. The transmission was a little sketchy and the 7.3s have defective fan clutches, but nbd. Ordered a 22 Tundra to take it's place, twin turbo motor like OPs Ford. Also requires a cab removal from my understanding to service them.

Regardless, I feel more comfortable with the Toyota from a reliability standpoint. No offense to anyone with a Ford truck - they do make a decent HD truck. I just tend to lean towards Japanese products because of their track record for higher quality standards and over-engineering in most cases (hence the decision to buy a Kubota as well).

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Got it all back together and no coolant leaks or exhaust leaks. Ran it for several miles then an intermittant no crank issue when starting. only clicked like a bad battery. Load tested battery and it failed. Replaced battery only to find still had the same issue. Guess what the problem was.
Sounds like a bad battery cable.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Sounds like a bad battery cable.
Close.
I pulled the starter to do the exhaust manifold job but i left the wires connected to it. When i bolted the starter back in, i forgot to reinstall the ground cable to the back of the bolt holding the starter in. It was hidden between some trans cooler lines and blended in i guess. Hooked that cable back and all is good.

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Had a 22 F250 for a little while and ended up selling it and taking pandemic profits - it wasn't a bad truck by any means and seemed relatively easy to work on. The transmission was a little sketchy and the 7.3s have defective fan clutches, but nbd. Ordered a 22 Tundra to take it's place, twin turbo motor like OPs Ford. Also requires a cab removal from my understanding to service them.

Regardless, I feel more comfortable with the Toyota from a reliability standpoint. No offense to anyone with a Ford truck - they do make a decent HD truck. I just tend to lean towards Japanese products because of their track record for higher quality standards and over-engineering in most cases (hence the decision to buy a Kubota as well).
Yah know, agree with you to an extent.
But, I try to buy USA brands. What I appreciate about the Japanese manufacturers, is how they changed the American automobile manufacturers. Increased the quality.
I don't think one could go wrong with a Ford, Chevy/GMC, or Dodge Ram heavy duty (3/4 ton or higher) truck. Toyota, or any Japanese brand doesn't build a heavy duty pickup truck.
My brother, a dedicated Toyota guy, started looking into the Ford trucks a few months before he died last year. He was having issues with his company's Toyota Tundra's.

As for Kubota, there just isn't any USA made compact tractors. One could buy a JD with a Yanmar engine. Etc etc.
Kubota is the best IMO.

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine

I think Japanese machines are better engineered than American stuff but for the longest time Japan didnt put out a true full size pickup truck. Im in construction trade and we need full size pickups. Thats changed now but will take a while to catch on. When a Tundra rolls up to a jobsite we laugh and figure its a millennial noob or an old hippy.

• Haha

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Yah know, agree with you to an extent.
But, I try to buy USA brands. What I appreciate about the Japanese manufacturers, is how they changed the American automobile manufacturers. Increased the quality.
I don't think one could go wrong with a Ford, Chevy/GMC, or Dodge Ram heavy duty (3/4 ton or higher) truck. Toyota, or any Japanese brand doesn't build a heavy duty pickup truck.
My brother, a dedicated Toyota guy, started looking into the Ford trucks a few months before he died last year. He was having issues with his company's Toyota Tundra's.

As for Kubota, there just isn't any USA made compact tractors. One could buy a JD with a Yanmar engine. Etc etc.
Kubota is the best IMO.
Agreed, before they entered the market the US Dom manufacturers didn't have a reason to up their game. I wish Toyota built an HD truck, I'd be all over it. On that note, the big three do make a decent HD truck - I just wish they cost what they did in 2008 :LOL: New ones are pushing 25%+ of a typical home price.

I think Japanese machines are better engineered than American stuff but for the longest time Japan didnt put out a true full size pickup truck. Im in construction trade and we need full size pickups. Thats changed now but will take a while to catch on. When a Tundra rolls up to a jobsite we laugh and figure its a millennial noob or an old hippy.
It typically is, especially anyone pulling up with a 1/2 ton truck having a 5ft bed and a crew cab lol. Toyota's 1/2 ton with 6' bed is pretty capable for my needs, but I'm also not pulling excavators and skid steers. I do miss my F250 sometimes when I get into situations where I need to put a ton of material in the bed...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I still have my (bought new) 1977 F250 4x4 with 300 cu.in. straight 6.
45 years old.
88K miles.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
45 years old.
88K miles.
Fried, you ought to fire that thing up once in a while and at least take it to church! Then when it's finally sold the auctioneer can say "Only driven to church"!

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
45 years old.
88K miles.
Fried, you ought to fire that thing up once in a while and at least take it to church! Then when it's finally sold the auctioneer can say "Only driven to church"!
Saw Mecum sell a decent '78 or '79 F250 4x4 on TV while back. Gone Farmin' Tractor/Truck series.

Don't recall $$, but was some serious cabbage....