Exercise after 60

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just wondering how many of you old farts like me have an exercise routine? After going to the nursing home to visit my mother and seeing guys and gals there who were in terrible shape and after looking a little closer I realized some of them were only 12 to 15 years older then me. I gotta tell ya it scared the crap out of me. When I was younger I always enjoyed weight lifting of one kind or another but I haven't been into it until just the last couple months. Some mornings it's hard to get started however once I make the effort I really enjoy it. Bottom line is I'm in no hurry to go to a nursing home.:eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If I was 60 again, I'd be a whore...I walk my dog every morning and night, 3/4 mile in the AM, 1/2 mile in the PM, every day, rain, shine snow or sleet, don't matter and in the summer, I'm running hay and once in a while putting squares up,

Get plenty of exercise and I don't need no paid for health club membership to get it.

Want some? Come visit, I'll put you to work.

I'm 70 btw. Feel like m maybe 60 and I don't look (or act) like 70 either. Had a cleark at a local store remark to me that I looked maybe in my late 40's. We were discussing age and I told her how old I was. She couldn't believe it.

Might be the fact that I'm 1/4 American Indian, not sure.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am 76 so I guess that qualifies as after 60. ;)

I do not have a regimented exercise routine, but I am very active. My "job" is portable sawmilling which entails everything imaginable associated with chainsawing, rolling logs, and handling one end of slabs and lumber. My only "real" exercise is bicycle riding which will reach 10-12 miles during the Spring, late Summer, and Fall. I am 5'9 and weigh ~165 pounds.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I started about 20 years ago...lost about 100lbs and have kept it off. I ride or indoor cycle if the weather is crap, about 5k miles a year. I do stretching for about 30 minutes most days...some of it is to stay limber due to surgery of shoulder. The stretching has kept my back pain free for many many years too...

I love to ski...so the biking keeps me in shape for that too. Skied over a million vertical feet last winter...

Will be 61 in 3 weeks...going to CO and ski for the next two weeks!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yup. Go to the gym twice a week, work with a trainer that makes me do exercises I'd never do if left to my own devices. 76, 130 lbs. That was the only thing that got me back walking after a stroke. That and ice skating and barn chores. The other folks in rehab were pretty pitiful, so I am grateful for that lifestyle. Lucky to be able to do it. Have not made it back to ice skating yet.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Wife & I are still "young'ans" knocking on the 60's door... :eek:

We both enjoy hiking & biking as well as just being generally active. I think there are many ways to get that from day to day life. Park as far away from entrances as reasonable, take the stairs, put effort into your daily routines, don't take the quick easy route, etc..

Of course proper diet & sleep patterns are equally important, along with drinking plenty of water every day.

It's really not rocket science, but does take effort.

Combine that with some luck and good genetics, and you should be good for many years.

Unfortunately there are a lot of bad things that can happen that one has little if any control over. These can be the real difficulties of life. I truly feel for folks who drew that hand.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Wow that's awesome you guys, no couch potato's in this group. I'm actually 63 and after my last surgery I could hardly walk 40 yards without getting winded and that's when I started to fight back. A couple months back I picked up a bench and free weights off the buy and sell and buy more whenever I get a chance. At 5'5" and 130lbs I reached my highest squat weight of 210lbs, 5 sets of ten, not near what I could do when I was younger but I'm happy with that for now. Also my wife and I take our beagle for a 2 to 3 mile walk almost every day and we have a stationary bike on the deck which we both use. I'm at a point now that I feel guilty if I don't exercise and realize it's very hard to get back into if I stop.

Ditchdigger54

Equipment
B2601 FEL, Box Blade, snow plow, Home made Balast box
Dec 10, 2019
Southbury, Connecticut
Yeah I’m 65 and I’ve been walking 45- 60 minutes every day. Since my surgery last winter. Like someone else said, diet is important. I’m also pretty active around the house. Shuttle pellets in every day, to feed two pellet stoves. Run the laundry up + down the stairs for my wife.
I feel better since I took up the walking. Probably should have started years ago.
My only complaint is, don’t you just love Medicare!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Wow that's awesome you guys, no couch potato's in this group. I'm actually 63 and after my last surgery I could hardly walk 40 yards without getting winded and that's when I started to fight back. A couple months back I picked up a bench and free weights off the buy and sell and buy more whenever I get a chance. At 5'5" and 130lbs I reached my highest squat weight of 210lbs, 5 sets of ten, not near what I could do when I was younger but I'm happy with that for now. Also my wife and I take our beagle for a 2 to 3 mile walk almost every day and we have a stationary bike on the deck which we both use. I'm at a point now that I feel guilty if I don't exercise and realize it's very hard to get back into if I stop.

Look at me, last year this time I was just about o be opened up and looking at a 30% survival chance and here I am. Bact to hunting and farming and giving the wife (and posters on here, hell)....:) Big issue now is my eyes, I'm basically blind but fixable.... Everything is fixable today. Right now I'm relegated to posting with a huge magnifying glass so excuse my spelling. Nest thursday is the left eye, the following week, the right.

None of that stops me from doing farm chores but don't get in front of me when I'm in the tractor because I cannot see you/ May not be all bad either.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Look at me, last year this time I was just about o be opened up and looking at a 30% survival chance and here I am. Bact to hunting and farming and giving the wife (and posters on here, hell)....:) Big issue now is my eyes, I'm basically blind but fixable.... Everything is fixable today. Right now I'm relegated to posting with a huge magnifying glass so excuse my spelling. Nest thursday is the left eye, the following week, the right.

None of that stops me from doing farm chores but don't get in front of me when I'm in the tractor because I cannot see you/ May not be all bad either.
Hey Flip, as long as we're around to bitch about it, it's all good. I truly believe walking is one of if not the best exercise you can do but that's coming from an ex letter carrier. Good luck with the eye surgery but after you get them done don't look in the mirror, you may not like what you see. Just joking with ol' boy, good luck.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
My wife is an RN and worked in a cardiac ICU for several years. She now works in a short term rehab facility with lots of post OP patients. I get to hear all the stories, some nearly unbelievable. We talk about health and wellness a lot. We are both fairly young - in our 30's. She reads a lot of books on diet and health, and is passionate about her profession as a nurse. I would help her study when she was in nursing school. I think it helps to have a good knowledge of anatomy and body function. There are millions of books and diets and new exercises constantly flooding through society and social media. New fads, new ways to "lose weight" and "be your best self". Really it all boils down to a few basic things. Be active, and find some willpower to take control of your diet. Sitting is the new smoking. Heart disease is killing people in increasing numbers. Much of it is 100% preventable. Obesity is exploding because we cant muster the willpower to stop eating garbage. Over 40% of US adults over 20 years old now are Obese, and the number continues to rise. We are addicted to food, and to sugar. Its become an epidemic.

Simply eating a modest diet, and maintaining a good level of activity, just these 2 things can change a persons life if they actually do it. Its really not rocket science. There is a billion dollar industry out there that teaches people how to lose weight, to stay healthy, and its honestly all common sense. I know one woman I see occasionally who is over 90 years old. She gets around like a 50 year old. I heard someone ask her one day how she stays so 'spunky'. Her answer was simply "I get out and rake my yard". My 2 grandmothers were both good examples of this as well. They were complete opposites in their daily lives. One rarely went outside her house, she tended to watch tv, talk to folks on the phone, lots of sitting around the house; the other is very outdoorsy always working in the yard, growing a garden, crawling around her flower beds pulling weeds, still mows her own grass etc. I only have one grandmother still alive today and you can guess which one it is, and yes she still, at nearly 80 now, is out working in her yard all the time. You can add years to your life if you are just conscious about these 2 basic things. You dont need a special fad diet, or to count calories on everything - just use common sense.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
My wife is an RN and worked in a cardiac ICU for several years. She now works in a short term rehab facility with lots of post OP patients. I get to hear all the stories, some nearly unbelievable. We talk about health and wellness a lot. We are both fairly young - in our 30's. She reads a lot of books on diet and health, and is passionate about her profession as a nurse. I would help her study when she was in nursing school. I think it helps to have a good knowledge of anatomy and body function. There are millions of books and diets and new exercises constantly flooding through society and social media. New fads, new ways to "lose weight" and "be your best self". Really it all boils down to a few basic things. Be active, and find some willpower to take control of your diet. Sitting is the new smoking. Heart disease is killing people in increasing numbers. Much of it is 100% preventable. Obesity is exploding because we cant muster the willpower to stop eating garbage. Over 40% of US adults over 20 years old now are Obese, and the number continues to rise. We are addicted to food, and to sugar. Its become an epidemic.

Simply eating a modest diet, and maintaining a good level of activity, just these 2 things can change a persons life if they actually do it. Its really not rocket science. There is a billion dollar industry out there that teaches people how to lose weight, to stay healthy, and its honestly all common sense. I know one woman I see occasionally who is over 90 years old. She gets around like a 50 year old. I heard someone ask her one day how she stays so 'spunky'. Her answer was simply "I get out and rake my yard". My 2 grandmothers were both good examples of this as well. They were complete opposites in their daily lives. One rarely went outside her house, she tended to watch tv, talk to folks on the phone, lots of sitting around the house; the other is very outdoorsy always working in the yard, growing a garden, crawling around her flower beds pulling weeds, still mows her own grass etc. I only have one grandmother still alive today and you can guess which one it is, and yes she still, at nearly 80 now, is out working in her yard all the time. You can add years to your life if you are just conscious about these 2 basic things. You dont need a special fad diet, or to count calories on everything - just use common sense.
Very well said, everything in moderation. God bless your wife my friend, after being opened up 3 times and seeing what those folks do for a living it just amazes me, I don't know how they do it but thank God they do.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tornado, one thing I disagree with you on is the use of will power.

Read a book years ago by Maxwell Maltz called Pshcho Cybernetics. An absolutely amazing author. He says "When imagination and will power are in conflict, imagination always wins."

Whether the thoughts are good or bad, they control our mind. The painter can be on the ladder painting the house, and when school lets out, he starts staring at the girls going by. When his imagination starts seeing him with one of them, he's not very far from acting on the thought. He does this long enough and who know what to progresses to.

Put a picture of an obese person in a skimpy bathing suit on the refrigerator door going to keep a person from eating improper foods? If that person can imagine the results they want, they have a much better chance of achieving that goal. A picture of what they want to look like is more powerful then the obese one.

You ever work on something mechanical, like trying to line up a bolt in a hole that you can't see? If in your minds eye you can see the process as you attempt to line it up you have great success. If you say to yourself you can't do this, start with profanity, and throwing things, you will not succeed.

Think about items you have purchased in the past. The power of sales. You walk into a home with a realtor and they put you in each room doing something you enjoy, it's clean, comfortable, smells good and you can easily see yourself there with your friends.

You keep looking at enough tractors and soon you'll own one!

When imagination and will power are in conflict imagination always wins!

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I'm 69, 5'-11" and 200 pounds, so a little overweight, but not obese.

I absolutely DETEST exercise just for the sake of sweating...i.e. going to the gym or hitting the treadmill. I stay active around the place and the wife and I walk 2 miles a day unless the weather is too nasty.

I gave up tobacco over 40 years ago and alcohol 25 years ago and am conscientious about keeping my weight and blood pressure under control. I've been getting annual physicals since I hit 40 and the Doc has no complaints.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'm 69, 5'-11" and 200 pounds, so a little overweight, but not obese.

I absolutely DETEST exercise just for the sake of sweating...i.e. going to the gym or hitting the treadmill. I stay active around the place and the wife and I walk 2 miles a day unless the weather is too nasty.

I gave up tobacco over 40 years ago and alcohol 25 years ago and am conscientious about keeping my weight and blood pressure under control. I've been getting annual physicals since I hit 40 and the Doc has no complaints.
No need to go to the gym, it's not for everyone. Like you I gave up tobacco and drink very little. Sounds like you and your wife are on the right track.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hey Flip, as long as we're around to bitch about it, it's all good. I truly believe walking is one of if not the best exercise you can do but that's coming from an ex letter carrier. Good luck with the eye surgery but after you get them done don't look in the mirror, you may not like what you see. Just joking with ol' boy, good luck.
I try to refrain from looking in mirrors, they shatter.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am 6 weeks past Total Knee Replacement surgery (old motorcycle injury) so this exercise topic is of great interest to me. I previously shared my statistics, but for an active person this rehabilitation inactivity stinks. I have met all of my flexion (bending) and extension (straightening) goals and am "chomping at the bits" to get back to sawmilling.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I am 6 weeks past Total Knee Replacement surgery (old motorcycle injury) so this exercise topic is of great interest to me. I previously shared my statistics, but for an active person this rehabilitation inactivity stinks. I have met all of my flexion (bending) and extension (straightening) goals and am "chomping at the bits" to get back to sawmilling.
Good to hear your on the mend, soon this will all be a distant memory.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Too bad the Lord, in his profound wisdom, didn't put grease fittings in our joints for ease of servicing,:)