Engine under load when bucket curls down?

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Hello,

I think my BX has alway's done this but since its got cold its more noticible. Can anyone explain why my engine gets loaded down when I'm curling the bucket down even with nothing in it? When I curl the bucket up (empty) the engine doesn't vary at all but when I dump it does? In fact, I get more of a bog curling down than I do when lifting the arms. Its almost like the curl down function is restricting hydrolic flow regardless of material in the bucket. Is this normal?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello,

I think my BX has alway's done this but since its got cold its more noticible. Can anyone explain why my engine gets loaded down when I'm curling the bucket down even with nothing in it? When I curl the bucket up (empty) the engine doesn't vary at all but when I dump it does? In fact, I get more of a bog curling down than I do when lifting the arms. Its almost like the curl down function is restricting hydrolic flow regardless of material in the bucket. Is this normal?
By chance are you hitting the bottom of the swing with the bucket? OR maybe there is trash in the valve? Bucket down with an empty bucket should be very easy on the system, what RPM's are you running her ??? If you increase the RPM's does it stay the same?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It does take power to curl the bucket, because it is pumping fluid to peform the function. But, it shouldn't load the engine, and certainly not more than lifting. It sounds like you have a restriction to flow. Or, I wonder if there is binding in the pins that it is working against? Check the loader over real well.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Dont know how its equipped, but 3 point isnt pulled all the way up? Or one of the auxilary hydraulics not in neutral?

I would pull pins, and see if cylinders move smooth as well.
Possibly a crimped hyd line to tilt cyl.

Last edited:

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
If you disconnect the cylinder and the bucket swings freely, you might check out the hydraulic quick connectors. I had one fail and the bucket would curl under, but not come back.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I checked it over and the bucket isn't binding at all, moves smooth and easy. Don't get me wrong, its not bogging the engine out or anything like that but regardless of RPM it puts a bigger load on the engine when dumping vs curling up. It does seem like a restriction in flow but wouldn't any restriction in the dump circuit also impact the curl up equally?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Saw this same thing on a Yanmar. Turned out he had dropped a rock on one of the steel lines for the FEL, crushing it almost closed… in other words, no flow. He was not able to straighten it, had to cut out that spot & replace it with a SS Swagelok union.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Has it always done this?
I'm wondering if what your noticing is the regen feature that keeps the loader from dumping too fast.
Try it again and push the lever to the extreme in the dump direction and see if it goes faster with less "loading" of the hydraulics?

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I just played with it and have some more detail. If I just push the lever to the right a little it curls down with no noise just fine. The further I push it to the right the louder the hydrolic whine and slight engine rpm loss. If I push it all the way right to the float position the noise goes away and the bucket dumps at a smooth rate.

So could this be the regen feature?

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Sure seems to, I get a notched position when pushed FAR right just like when I push up on the stick to float the arms. When its in that position the bucket seems to gravity drop.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's not a detent, it's just passing the Regen feature. ;)

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
It's not a detent, it's just passing the Regen feature. ;)
Ohhhhh well that makes sense. So it it normal to get a hydro whine (similar to the HST) when its in the regen mode? Also why doesnt this happen when I lower the FEL arms themselves?

If so, can someone explain what the regen is actualy doing that causes the load while forgiving my ignorance?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In side the control valve there is a cup with four hole which hold four small steel balls (just bigger then a BB) and a spring in the housing. When the piston of the valve is pushed to the position where the ball are pushed out the valve is in regen. position.

The design is very similar to the float. Regen it to the far right.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Thank you guys very much for the help. Makes sense now that I know its pressurizing both sides of the cylinder = more of a load than just curling up.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ok, i feel edjumacated. In other words, got all knowed up on regen dump cycle.
Good to know, will save me time if i am asked to diagnose someting that isnt wrong.