Engine locked up

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
It has fell out before. Look at the Chicago fit marks around the hole!!!!

You need a good head shop to rebuild the head & as said above maybe a piston.

It is hard to access the damage plus the rod may be bent also.
be nice if they could rebuild the head. I'll find out Tuesday when i take it to a head shop .

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
be nice if they could rebuild the head. I'll find out Tuesday when i take it to a head shop .
It appears to be cracked from the Pre Combustion chamber to the Intake valve seat.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a feeling it's not. There is a reason the plate fell out and I suspect the head is cracked through that area and the plate can no longer be retained. The shop will determine that with a dye check but you still have the piston issue and possibly a bent rod. You need to crank the motor over by hand and measure each piston at the top of the stroke to determine if the rod is bent without removing the piston and rod. You may get lucky (all at the same deck height) but that piston still needs to be removed, checked closely for cracks and if sound, needs to have the craters in it smoothed out or you will have combustion issues.

Don't know where you got the tractor or from whom, but, whomever sold it to you sold it under false pretenses if they never alluded to a repair of that magnitude, a temporary repair at best.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
If a healthy starter motor won’t turn it... You can probably guarantee to convert the engine to junk by getting a bigger breaker-bar and forcing it to turn against whatever has it locked up. (Hey! Just get a bigger hammer!”)
Forcing a broken rod or seized bearing to rotate can damage the more-expensive crankshaft/block beyond repair. Pull the injectors or GP’s and see if anything is in those cylinders.

Yes But by using a breaker bar you can turn the engine over backwards.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
I have a feeling it's not. There is a reason the plate fell out and I suspect the head is cracked through that area and the plate can no longer be retained. The shop will determine that with a dye check but you still have the piston issue and possibly a bent rod. You need to crank the motor over by hand and measure each piston at the top of the stroke to determine if the rod is bent without removing the piston and rod. You may get lucky (all at the same deck height) but that piston still needs to be removed, checked closely for cracks and if sound, needs to have the craters in it smoothed out or you will have combustion issues.

Don't know where you got the tractor or from whom, but, whomever sold it to you sold it under false pretenses if they never alluded to a repair of that magnitude, a temporary repair at best.
It was sold with engine locked up.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Then it's 100% on you. Hope you got it cheap. I have a feeling that the 'fix' isn't gonna be. Sounds like the original owner took it apart, cabbaged the repair (peened in the the plate), knew it would not last and offed it after it came out again, so most likely the hammered piston crown was his doing anyway.

Like I said previously, pull the remnants of the head gasket and the spacer plate, run the pistons up to the top of the stroke and measure how high they go (in relationship to the deck) and determine if the piston in the bad hole don't come up as high. That will tell you if the rod is bent.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Then it's 100% on you. Hope you got it cheap. I have a feeling that the 'fix' isn't gonna be. Sounds like the original owner took it apart, cabbaged the repair (peened in the the plate), knew it would not last and offed it after it came out again, so most likely the hammered piston crown was his doing anyway.
He knew that when he purchased it. If you go and read the OP he bought it for the bucket. There is no reason to criticize him when HE KNEW it was broken and purchased it for the BUCKET.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
He knew that when he purchased it. If you go and read the OP he bought it for the bucket. There is no reason to criticize him when HE KNEW it was broken and purchased it for the BUCKET.
I didn't. Don't be so thin skinned.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
At this point, (if it were me) i wouldnt go any further with this tractor. It will likely cost you more to fix it than the tractor is worth. Use what you want from it and part out the rest of the tractor. I hope you didnt pay to much for the tractor. Parting it out will at least get you some money back out of it. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
At this point, (if it were me) i wouldnt go any further with this tractor. It will likely cost you more to fix it than the tractor is worth. Use what you want from it and part out the rest of the tractor. I hope you didnt pay to much for the tractor. Parting it out will at least get you some money back out of it. Just my opinion. YMMV.
yea, im thinking that as well. that was my original intention. I paid $3,000 for it because the bucket was barely used and not very old (it still had shipping tape on it) and was bought as a bolt on from Bush Hog for the B7200 which is also my tractor (how hard is that to find and 40 minutes from home!!) Anyway, it turns out that the tractor itself is so clean and in such good condition i couldnt pass up the attempt to make it right and then sell it. But, I'm not to well versed in tractors or diesel motors and dont have a good local mechanic.
I guess it was the original owner that got screwed. He took such good care of this tractor all the years he owned it even thought it was worth recently putting the bucket on it. Its a mystery
So PaPow, want to buy a real nice B7200HST E ???? LOL
Still good advise and I'll take it. Make my life easier. I bet it will bring a good enough price.
I'll install the bucket on my tractor and part out the other

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Curious as to what the head rebuilder said, if you took the head into them.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
yea, im thinking that as well. that was my original intention. I paid $3,000 for it because the bucket was barely used and not very old (it still had shipping tape on it) and was bought as a bolt on from Bush Hog for the B7200 which is also my tractor (how hard is that to find and 40 minutes from home!!) Anyway, it turns out that the tractor itself is so clean and in such good condition i couldnt pass up the attempt to make it right and then sell it. But, I'm not to well versed in tractors or diesel motors and dont have a good local mechanic.
So PaPow, want to buy a real nice B7200HST E ???? LOL
Still good advise and I'll take it. Make my life easier. I bet it will bring a good enough price.
I'll install the bucket on my tractor and part out the other
Very wise choice indeed by the sounds of it.

Ummmmmm, NOOOOO, i dont want it!
I dont need or want YOUR nightmare to become my nightmare. But thanks anyways. lol

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well, you have a pile of serviceable, reusable parts so if I were you, I'd start taking it apart and listing components on Flea-Bay or on Craigslist.

Probably Flea-Bay as CL is full of low ballers just shopping.

Looking at used parts on Flea-bay, I'd say you can recoup the 3 grand pretty quick and probably more.

Heck, the short block is probably worth a grand itself. You have an injection pump, hydraulic pump, rear end, wheels, many. many marketable parts. Use the head for an anchor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I'm curious what is a bare head and gasket costs ?? Seems like everything else is in good shape, so providing it doesn't need, 'extra' stuff',why not consider it a 'Winter project'? I've bought 'parts' tractors turned them into 'field ready' units several times...
What could it be sold for, as a running tractor vs a trailer load of parts,that MIGHT get sold ?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd think with some careful marketing, you could assess a greater amount. Takes time however.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
WRT purchasing a head to make operational...

Is the OP 100% positive #2 cylinder is not damaged? It looks like from the photos the piston took a few good hits and there is no telling the condition of the piston, ring lands or rod without removing from the bore and inspecting. (Maybe I missed where the #2 bore/piston/rod were checked.)