Engine locked up

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
I own a b7200hst 4wd. Saw another 7200 2wd For sale That had a nice front end loader so i bought the whole tractor planning to put the loader on my tractor.
It was advertised “Engine problems” . Turns out the man was mowing with it snd it just conked out snd the motor wouldn't start Or even move when starter engaged. So he dragged it home and bought a new kubota And sold this one “as is”.
i wonder what locked up in it?
Interesting is that there is no fuel in fuel tank.
Cant move the engine with starter or by hand but no holes in block . No water in oil or metal ( that i can see).
How would youall proceed figuring out whats wrong?
(I do have a downloaded manual)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I own a b7200hst 4wd. Saw another 7200 2wd For sale That had a nice front end loader so i bought the whole tractor planning to put the loader on my tractor.
It was advertised “Engine problems” . Turns out the man was mowing with it snd it just conked out snd the motor wouldn't start Or even move when starter engaged. So he dragged it home and bought a new kubota And sold this one “as is”.
Cant move the engine with starter or by hand but no holes in block . No water in oil or metal ( that i can see).
If currently it wont turn over by hand or starter, remove the glow plugs and then try to turn over.

Watch for any fluids shooting out of the open GP hole.

If it wont run over with the GP's out then there is likely serious damage.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If currently it wont turn over by hand or starter, remove the glow plugs and then try to turn over.

Make certain the clutch is disengaged to rule out any transmission issues

Dave

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Can you get a socket with a big breaker bar on the crank and try to see if the engine is actually seized? Could even be something locked up within the driveline, so obviously the engine wouldnt turn over to easily.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Can you get a socket with a big breaker bar on the crank and try to see if the engine is actually seized? Could even be something locked up within the driveline, so obviously the engine wouldnt turn over to easily.
I’ll try it

Reactions: 1 user

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I’ll try it
Check to make sure the starter isnt engaged and locked up as well. Worth a shot anyway. Without actually being there, hard to say what could be wrong. But, there are some pretty darn good guys in here that can try to help you. I`m basically just shootin in the dark at this point.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
might get lucky and unwind the 300' of bailing wire on the mower deck......that might 'unstick' it. Though I assume you've got the PTO disengaged.. Maybe 'hydraulic lock'. pull GPs, try to spin. Check dip stick oil level...
I 'won' doing that to a 25HP gas rider one day.....

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Check to make sure the starter isnt engaged and locked up as well. Worth a shot anyway. Without actually being there, hard to say what could be wrong. But, there are some pretty darn good guys in here that can try to help you. I`m basically just shootin in the dark at this point.

Dave
no way I’m getting the glow plugs out without taking what looks like an intake manifold off. How about removing fuel injectors? They look easy to access and remove

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Either glow plugs or injectors out will let any fluid out and relieve any compression.

Injectors will require new sealing washers during reinstall and bleeding fuel if it spins.

Does it have any method of decompression? If so get advice on using that instead of removing anything. I can only assume that is okay to do but get experienced advice before proceeding that way.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If a healthy starter motor won’t turn it... You can probably guarantee to convert the engine to junk by getting a bigger breaker-bar and forcing it to turn against whatever has it locked up. (Hey! Just get a bigger hammer!”)
Forcing a broken rod or seized bearing to rotate can damage the more-expensive crankshaft/block beyond repair. Pull the injectors or GP’s and see if anything is in those cylinders.

Reactions: 2 users

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
If a healthy starter motor won’t turn it... You can probably guarantee to convert the engine to junk by getting a bigger breaker-bar and forcing it to turn against whatever has it locked up. (Hey! Just get a bigger hammer!”)
Forcing a broken rod or seized bearing to rotate can damage the more-expensive crankshaft/block beyond repair. Pull the injectors or GP’s and see if anything is in those cylinders.
Got it and good advice.thanks

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Progress!!!
well i still could not get glow plugs out to check for hydraulic lock... but.
while i was reaching in to access crank nut i thought to grab the alternator belt and see if i could move the crank and it did move but only clockwise. actually moved all the way through a cycle or two. BUT i moved to try the starter again and it cranked but not very much and stopped. Backed it up again by pulling the belt and cranked the starter and again it moved but not to far and stopped.
what do youall think?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds to me like it's time to take it apart and find out what is locking it up.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Yea . Thats what i was thinking too
Whats your best guess I’ll find the problem to be? Engine rotates smoothly backwards so i think i can rule out anything being seized. No grinding or knocking sound when it stops in forward cranking motion with starter?
perhaps a wrist pin broken?

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Yep, the B7200 most definitely has a decompression knob. Give that a pull and crank it over....

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Sort of a head scratcher - turning the engine back and forth, does it come to a hard stop or does it get tight over a few degrees? Same in both directions? When you bought it were oil and water levels full? Are they still?

Last edited: