Joelton,tn
I'll work on getting it taken apart and let you all know. as always,
thanks for all your help. It's invaluable

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
well, i took the oil pan off and everything looked fine on crank, piston rods etc.
Took the head off and not so much. there is some kind of disc that covers/protects the glow plugs and fits flat against the head with a small port to expose the glow i guess. (htere is no shop manual for B7200 so i cant identify the part). That little bugger fell out and got smashed against the piston and would not allow it to cycle past on the up stroke.. What do you think of that????

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The clearance between piston and head is very small so anything foreign in there can get pounded. It's rare that the injector falls apart but it does happen. Sometimes the piston gets punctured right away or the connecting rod gets bent - but sometimes lady luck allows everything to live through it. Good idea to get an engine shop to inspect the head for damage. Put it back on with a new gasket. Glad things are looking up. Dick B

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sucked a butterfly screw into a Kohler once. Engine was banging like crazy but didn't lock up. Took the head off and the screw was in the piston crown so I ground it off, put the head back on and it's fine to this day..

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure but I'm sure someone will chime in as to what it's called. I would be concerned as to why it came out in the first place and I'd pull that piston and clean it up, looks like it was bouncing around in there and chewed up the piston a bit. Those 'chew' marks will result in hot spots when the engine is running.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Whats that disc called? Do I need to replace it?
You should replace that piston, it may very well be cracked. COMBUSTION CHAMBER is what they call the piece that fell out, although if it fell out once..............how are you going to keep another one in place?

The small pieces embedded into the piston may be some of you piston rings, need to pull the piston and check.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Kind of wondering if it fell out due to a crack in the head allowing the head to release it. I would presume it is an interference fit.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Well, you all have been a big help as usual. I’ll follow through on that great advise
Thank you all

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Sorry. I put on 2pics of block and meant one of block and other of head
Looking at the picture it sure looks like the head had been off before. Look at all those punch marks around where it goes on the head. Either it came out before and a new one was installed and they "set" or peened with a punch or it was loose and they tried to set with a punch. If you are gonna try to get it running I would not reuse that head.

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
It has fell out before. Look at the Chicago fit marks around the hole!!!!

You need a good head shop to rebuild the head & as said above maybe a piston.

It is hard to access the damage plus the rod may be bent also.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Is it an alternator or a dynamo?

I had a puzzle one time where an engine would only turn over one way. A complete mystery.

Then discovered this Chrysler alternator came with a one way clutch for the drive belt. The alternator was seized but when you turned the engine backwards the one way clutch released and the engine would rotate.

I think the design was to allow the alternator to coast down rather than being slowed by the engine.

Suggest you remove the V belt and then make certain you are dealing with an engine problem and not something external.

Dave

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Is it an alternator or a dynamo?

I had a puzzle one time where an engine would only turn over one way. A complete mystery.

Then discovered this Chrysler alternator came with a one way clutch for the drive belt. The alternator was seized but when you turned the engine backwards the one way clutch released and the engine would rotate.

I think the design was to allow the alternator to coast down rather than being slowed by the engine.

Suggest you remove the V belt and then make certain you are dealing with an engine problem and not something external.

Dave
Dave, I think you missed the second page of this thread...I've done the same before...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks like the cover plate pounded the head a bit as well. I'd say it's head time, maybe a piston, ring set and possibly a rod too.

Reactions: 1 user

capp

Equipment
BX2230 MMM, Fel
Oct 4, 2020
Lawrence Co., Ky
That is a hair scratcher for sure. Something just isn't right I'd take the front off of it and then the head off. if the decompression does tell you any thing.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
i thought that the engine had been recently opened because there was so many new bolts and it was very clean, new gaskets. everything came off without any effort at all. but its still broken!!!