Education in Tractor Hydraulics

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I have a L2950 with a LA450 FEL. I am really thinking of getting a 6' or 7' 3-Point Backhoe for this tractor. I cannot decide if I should get a PTO hydraulic pump to run the Backhoe or just pull off of the hydraulics that are already on the tractor.

If I pull from the hydraulics that are already on the tractor, is it as simple as running a line form the Power Beyond output to a Quick connect coupler that would be pressure in on the backhoe and have the pressure relief or return from the backhoe cycle back to the sump?

I have a basic understanding of hydraulics, but understanding how they work on a tractor is new to me.

I am trying to determine the best, most efficient and most economical option.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a L2950 with a LA450 FEL. I am really thinking of getting a 6' or 7' 3-Point Backhoe for this tractor. I cannot decide if I should get a PTO hydraulic pump to run the Backhoe or just pull off of the hydraulics that are already on the tractor.

If I pull from the hydraulics that are already on the tractor, is it as simple as running a line form the Power Beyond output to a Quick connect coupler that would be pressure in on the backhoe and have the pressure relief or return from the backhoe cycle back to the sump?

I have a basic understanding of hydraulics, but understanding how they work on a tractor is new to me.

I am trying to determine the best, most efficient and most economical option.
I know that you do not want to hear this part - the 3 point method will work, but really puts a huge strain on the tractors 3 point system. Most backhoes have the sub mount under them - far better method, but costly!

You machine will have enough hydraulics to pull it off too - if you go that way.

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I know that you do not want to hear this part - the 3 point method will work, but really puts a huge strain on the tractors 3 point system. Most backhoes have the sub mount under them - far better method, but costly!

You machine will have enough hydraulics to pull it off too - if you go that way.
Was I correct in how the hydraulic lines need to be routed to use the tractor hydraulics?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I believe you're correct about the hydraulics.

I agree with 85Hokie about the 3pt unit. I had one myself and it spent more time in the shed than it was used. I hated it from day one and wish I never bought it. My best and honest advise is look for a used mini x and forget about the backhoe. Best thing I did was get rid of the BH and purchase a trackhoe.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
You will need 3 remotes at around 1500 in parts. I would either get a mini x or sell what I had and buy a Bota with a sub frame BH. Rent one if it's a small job.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Knowing the pump on your tractor (6.7gpm) I would not hook to the tractor hydraulics, get a PTO mounted pump, the backhoe will work much more efficiently and effectively.
While the 3 point on that L is pretty stout, I would still go with a sub frame model, much safer for the tractor.
Think about it this way, while a sub frame model will run you a little more $ to buy, it will run you a lot more $$$ to replace the rear end case if it breaks it! ;)

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
Thanks Wolfman. I was not sure of the PTO Hydro pump or hooking into tractor Hydros was the way to go or not. I always thought the PTO pump was simpler and easier.

As for the 3 Point mount, I have debated about this and understand the concern. Yes, it is a lot of weight to hang on the back of a tractor and support continuously with hydraulics. I found this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/210977-custom-backhoe-subframe-kubota-l3710.html and it looks like a well thought out design to support the weight of the backhoe and get it off the 3 point arms and hydraulics.

I will be looking at other threads but this is something I can build and attach to the loader subframe and tractor frame to distribute the weight and ease the burden on the tractor.

We plan on performing the digging work for the construction of our new house and after construction is complete digging a pond on the backside of the property. It is less expensive to get a Backhoe for the tractor then to buy a mini X. I do want it mounted in a more supportive way to ensure longevity of the tractor and the backhoe. It will get used, but I do not see it staying mounted tot he tractor other than for actual use. Too many other things to do with the tractor that it will have to come off for other attachments anytime it is not in use.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
We plan on performing the digging work for the construction of our new house and after construction is complete digging a pond on the backside of the property. It is less expensive to get a Backhoe for the tractor then to buy a mini X. Too many other things to do with the tractor that it will have to come off for other attachments anytime it is not in use.
A mini x will dig circles around a tractor mounted BH and you'll find it's way more useful in every situation except traveling a long distance.

As far as price goes, I paid $500 less for my 325 Bobcat than I did for my 4672 Kubota BH.

When I only had the BH I found myself not wanting to spend the time to hook it up for small jobs. They would either not get done or would wait until they were almost out of control. I just simply hated putting the BH on knowing it was going to come right back off so the tractor could be used for other task.

You know your own situation better than anyone and I'm sure have thought about what will work better for you. For me the mini x was a way better choice than the BH was.

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I would love a mini X. I can see it being worked at the same time that I have something going with the tractor. However, I can't seem to find one for the same money I have budgeted for the BH. Additionally, it is a whole separate machine that has to be maintained and repaired. Not saying that in itself is a complete negative, just right now I cannot justify the funds for another machine. I used the land clearing and other site work for our house build as justification for the tractor. I think that price justification ends when looking into a mini X.

I will keep searching and agree that the mini X would be more favorable, just not sure I can find a decent one in my current budget.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're building a house and needing a BH here's something I'd consider.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvo/5245921679.html

I just typed in "Ditch Witch" in KC Craig's List.

With a machine like this you can dig all your service lines, and backfill much quicker then with a loader. Nice powerful, reaching BH, nice outriggers for stability. Made to do the job. Won't tie up your tractor. Sell it when you're done!

I've got an R40 I bought 20 years ago for $6000. It's paid for it's self so may times I won't get rid if it. I've buried water/elec. lines for guys and they want to backfill with their tractor to save money. I have to explain to them how I can put the crumbs back in the trench faster then they can get their tractor out of the barn. With a 6-way blade, it's like buttering bread!

I left the machine with a friend who was building a new home (and knew how to operate equipment) for 6 weeks because I didn't need it. He buried 1100 feet of water line through a field, 600' of gas line, another water line 700-800' and I'm sure some other digging. When I went to get it, he gave me a check for 2K. Point is: you'll get your money back when you buy a good machine.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"When I went to get it, he gave me a check for 2K"

wish I had friends like that!:D;)

my luck - i go with the machine, get a flat tire, broken hydraulic line, stick through the radiator......:)

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
"When I went to get it, he gave me a check for 2K"

wish I had friends like that!:D;)

my luck - i go with the machine, get a flat tire, broken hydraulic line, stick through the radiator......:)

And a "Dude am I sorry, but I appreciate the loaner. Hope you can fix it."

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I knew he wasn't "And a Dude am I sorry, but I appreciate the loaner. Hope you can fix it." person. Or there is no way I'd leave my machine with him.

Funny part is, he was talking with his Realtor about needing some trenching done. His realtor told him she knew some one who would do a good job. Tim said, no I have someone already. They were both talking about the same person!

It pays dividends to do good work at a fair price in a timely fashion.