Early Father's Day Present

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
lost mine wednesday

tell those kids they better appreciate daddy cause he ain't gonna be around forever

so many things dad and I didn't get to do together but dad was sick for the last ~15 or so years to the point where he didn't really wanna do much with me

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
lost mine wednesday

tell those kids they better appreciate daddy cause he ain't gonna be around forever

so many things dad and I didn't get to do together but dad was sick for the last ~15 or so years to the point where he didn't really wanna do much with me
Sorry to hear lugbolt, 15 years is a long time to be sick.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
lost mine wednesday

Sorry to hear. Lost mine almost 3 years ago. It’s hard.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
lost mine wednesday

Lost mine last year. He drove me nuts but I miss him.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Need that gnome for my son.

As far as dads go, mine passed on in 2011.

I have some memories of his wit that my siblings do not share, such as

"That must be jelly, cause jam doesn't wiggle like that" when seeing a woman

"We need to stop and get some space bread" when driving through Cosmos, MN--There was a bakery there then.

if we said we wanted leave he would say "Ya better go to the house and have your mother pack you a lunch, as it could be awhile before you get more."

Not to steal the thread, just felt the need to share some memories.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Sorry to
lost mine wednesday

Sorry to hear, Lugbolt. Mine died 3 years ago, left us a couple years before.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
All the things I wish I’d said to him….. now I find myself in the garage….troubled with some problem…then remember a Tool of His ….I’d obtained cleaning out his garage….it’ Perfect for the Job!…. and I realize I just said it out-loud: “Thank You, Dad!”.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lugbolt, I appreciate your input on mechanical things and I'll bet a lot of how you work/think came from him! You're blessed.

Keep your face to the sunshine and all the shadows will fall behind you!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
lost mine wednesday

My dad died 39 years ago, ......and I still miss him every day.
So sorry for your loss.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I'm going out there a little on this, since dad passed.

Dad had depression ever since I was old enough to recognize there was a problem with his thoughts. People often think of depression as "suicidal" and that was never the case with him. He fought hard and even was fighting his body failure at the time of his passing, but he was ready. So what is the deal with depression that is such a big deal?

In dad's case he always talked about death. Part of his life was watching his father die in front of him. Dad talked about that several times to myself and my brother, many many times actually. He was sort of a negative person, but had a heart of gold deep down. Machinest by trade. Vietnam vet (1968-1969). He had a lot of experiences over there which scarred him for the rest of his life. I heard about a few of em. He had frequent nightmares of some of it, he'd awaken screaming at night and never would talk about why. Mom said nam and then his dad's passing lived with him. As he got older and later retired, he got a lot of the arrangements taken care of and part of that was that he signed a DNR order. I asked why and he said he is already old and doesn't want to get any older so if the heart fails, DNR! His words were a little different and I won't repeat that, but you get the idea. He went into the hospital about 2 weeks ago with pneumonia (and now I have it), then had a small heart attack while in there. That was no big deal they took care of it, but with dad's depression he said that he'd lived a full life and had nothing else to prove, and refused a heart cath, refused a much-needed bypass back in about 2015, refused a lot of medical attention because "he was old". Ultimately his depression is what killed him. He signed the DNR order while he was in that state of depression. In the room, he got up to take a dump, walked to the bathroom, came out, sat down on the bed and laid on his side. I saw it in his eyes as he tried his hardest to talk but the brain wasn't working (heart attack, this time massive). I never understood what he told me, I just knew that it was the last time I'd hear anything from him. 5 minutes, no pulse, and with a DNR order they weren't gonna help any per his request. That was the worst part, knowing that HE requested no help.

If you know anyonne with signs of depression, find them some help. In some way or another, they need it. My brother is a lot like my dad in that sense...lots of problems.

Dad always said he seen everything and that he was old and his life was complete. But he always wanted to see don garlits' museum of drag racing, and never got to. And wanted to see the wilderness, where I tend to go on weekends. Didn't get to see that either. And, wanted to go to Hawaii, but never got to do that. Refused to go with me when I went to SW Florida a few years back (I had planned to go to the museum, then to a beach house back in the sticks). But refused, because he was sick and dying (his words...this was before he had any known heart issues).

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
lost mine wednesday

I lost my dad last month. This week my brother and I are starting to work on settling his estate and going through his things. I think that doing this has been harder on us than his initial passing. Each day we relive memories as we try to sort through everything. Knowing that I can’t reach out and call him is a sad new feeling. I went though this after losing mom 2 years ago and still miss her. Condolences to you.