DPF PROBLEM....SOLVED ??

LittleBigJim

Equipment
2015 Kubota B3350
Mar 3, 2021
Gibbonsville, Id
Bought a used 2015 Kubota B3350 last August. Had no problems with the Regeneration system until the end of November, when it started to get cold. Had to do regen several times through December until January when the regen would not complete its function. Had to take it to Kubota to have it cleaned. It lasted a full 13 hours before the regen light came back on, I was not happy. I had read on this forum that people in the north who owned this model have had much problems, but those in the south had very little. I thought I would put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator (1/2 covered) to warm up the engine a bit more and try that. It didn't get any warmer so tried covering 3/4 of the way. The temperature gauge went to 4 bars. I ran it about another 20 minutes and the regen light went out. I have not run it much sence then but am hoping this will cure the regen problems here in cold Idaho.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What you need to design now is a thermoelectric damper on the grill covers! AS the engine hits the magic temp - the grill covers open a hair, allowing a little cooler air in and shutting back as the engine temp drops.

This would be the same principle as those that have crawl space vents, now if you could modify the temps to open and close you would be golden!

Now - you have to be on top of your game and watch the gauge to make sure you are not getting too hot! But a good fix for DPF problems in the cold. (y)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Bought a used 2015 Kubota B3350 last August. Had no problems with the Regeneration system until the end of November, when it started to get cold. Had to do regen several times through December until January when the regen would not complete its function. Had to take it to Kubota to have it cleaned. It lasted a full 13 hours before the regen light came back on, I was not happy. I had read on this forum that people in the north who owned this model have had much problems, but those in the south had very little. I thought I would put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator (1/2 covered) to warm up the engine a bit more and try that. It didn't get any warmer so tried covering 3/4 of the way. The temperature gauge went to 4 bars. I ran it about another 20 minutes and the regen light went out. I have not run it much sence then but am hoping this will cure the regen problems here in cold Idaho.
There are multiple issues with the B3350 regen system, and folks in all climates can and do have issues.

Failure to complete the regen process in cold weather is one such problem.

Kubota has issued a so-called cold weather package for the B3350 that includes a vinyl grill cover that is magnetically attached and a label to place on the air inlet snorkel advising owners to remove it in temperatures below "x" so that the engine draws air from behind the radiator.

I have this kit and installing it causes the temperature display to increase from three bars to 4/5 when plowing snow in mid teens temperature.

Kubota MAY provide this kit to you without charge but not unless you ask your dealer for it.

Partially blocking the radiator serves much the same function but you should still remove the air inlet snorkel in the winter to increase inlet air temperature.

SDT

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
LittleBigJim, If you'd like something a little classier and easier I've been making these sets for a few years now: Winter Front Grille Cover for Kubota B2650 | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota
The sets are also a direct fit on your B3350 as the hood/grill is the same on both models, save for the top of the hood on the B3350 which has no bearing on those covers.

Here's a link to the For Sale: For sale: Kubota B2650/ B3350 & LX2610/3310 Winter Front Grill Cover Set | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

If you get the original front cover/bra from Kubota and want to add the side covers they'll match right up to Kubota's front cover.

Reactions: 1 users

LittleBigJim

Equipment
2015 Kubota B3350
Mar 3, 2021
Gibbonsville, Id
What you need to design now is a thermoelectric damper on the grill covers! AS the engine hits the magic temp - the grill covers open a hair, allowing a little cooler air in and shutting back as the engine temp drops.

This would be the same principle as those that have crawl space vents, now if you could modify the temps to open and close you would be golden!

Now - you have to be on top of your game and watch the gauge to make sure you are not getting too hot! But a good fix for DPF problems in the cold. (y)
Thank you for your input. I will check into that.

LittleBigJim

Equipment
2015 Kubota B3350
Mar 3, 2021
Gibbonsville, Id
There are multiple issues with the B3350 regen system, and folks in all climates can and do have issues.

Failure to complete the regen process in cold weather is one such problem.

Kubota has issued a so-called cold weather package for the B3350 that includes a vinyl grill cover that is magnetically attached and a label to place on the air inlet snorkel advising owners to remove it in temperatures below "x" so that the engine draws air from behind the radiator.

I have this kit and installing it causes the temperature display to increase from three bars to 4/5 when plowing snow in mid teens temperature.

Kubota MAY provide this kit to you without charge but not unless you ask your dealer for it.

Partially blocking the radiator serves much the same function but you should still remove the air inlet snorkel in the winter to increase inlet air temperature.

SDT
Thanks. I will call the dealer to see what they can do. And I did remove the air inlet snorkel when I placed the cardboard in front of the radiator. I did notice that my temp gauge went from 3 bars to 5. So I shortened the cardboard to cover less of the radiator, and the temp went down to 4 bars, which seemed to work ok.....hopefully.

LittleBigJim

Equipment
2015 Kubota B3350
Mar 3, 2021
Gibbonsville, Id
LittleBigJim, If you'd like something a little classier and easier I've been making these sets for a few years now: Winter Front Grille Cover for Kubota B2650 | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota
The sets are also a direct fit on your B3350 as the hood/grill is the same on both models, save for the top of the hood on the B3350 which has no bearing on those covers.

Here's a link to the For Sale: For sale: Kubota B2650/ B3350 & LX2610/3310 Winter Front Grill Cover Set | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

If you get the original front cover/bra from Kubota and want to add the side covers they'll match right up to Kubota's front cover.
Thanks bird dogger, I will check out your link for grill covers. It depends on the price because my wife and I are on limited income.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just keep an eye on the temps!
It's very easy to get out of control and cause some serious issues.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Some of older birds remember the mid 70's car and trucks ....... when all the pollution stuff was added!

Remember the "air pump" that had it's own belt ? Most of us once we found out how useless it was - simply cut that belt and took the pump off!!! Yes - I know it is a wee bit different that DPF "fixing" but the process is the same.

An engine that can make 32 HP - tuned down to 24.7 HP and then pushed even harder to fight the particulates is eventually to have a work around.

I am not for nor against the movement - but it will be interested to see what unfolds down the road!

Reactions: 1 user

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
The Kubota B3350's are notorious for having regen issues. My local dealer actually bought back all the B3350's they sold because they had so many issues and customers were getting frustrated.