Do you ever feel like you get too attached to your Kubota?

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Was bush hogging at the farm tonight and hopped off to move a big limb. Looked back and saw this;

I sure like my side kick!!

I sure love this old farm too. Doesn't mean much to anyone else, but it is home!

Doc

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
I agree. Sure beats city life.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
There's no place like home! You have a nice pond. The muskrats cleaned mine up the last few years, very few frogs now, but a lot fewer cattails!

Jerry

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

Well, I dunno about "attached" but I do giggle like a little girl every time I reach up and turn the AC on! :D

I was born and raised on a 120 acre farm in mid-Michigan. Other than as required by my military career, I've never lived in a city and never intend to.

I've been working on my place here in Maine since 1988 and have it just about the way I want it. Couldn't have done it without my tractor and maintaining it is a LOT easier with a 6 foot finish mower and the Cabota.

Getting out of the sheep business this fall which will leave room for more flower beds and a bigger garden, so more tractor work there.

Darn...:p

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes! If being in the middle of building a new pole barn to keep the tractor and implements in is any clue! :D (and the manure spreader and horse trailer) My neighbor, the one with a serious farm and 6 :eek: yes 6 tractors stopped by to see how the barn was coming and laughed because I had a sheet tossed over the front of my tractor which is squished in the hay barn with the horses, and said he'd have to tell his buddies I had a blankie on my tractor... but it is really dusty in that barn :(

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
YUP! I feel no shame in that anymore then I do being a shameless patriot
who gets teary eyed when the national anthem is played or I see a veteran
being honored properly. It's all good!
:D

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Was bush hogging at the farm tonight and hopped off to move a big limb. Looked back and saw this;

I sure like my side kick!!

I sure love this old farm too. Doesn't mean much to anyone else, but it is home!

Doc
Doc,

Yep! There should be more folks like you saying what you said. I don't want to live in a city either and I love this country. Plus, I can get misty when the national anthem is played.

Plus, I built a big enclosed shed for my Kubota.

Burt

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
PHPaul, how did your land get divided up like you show? Looks like the work of an inebriated surveyor.:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The big green rectangular part is my yard. 9 acres to maintain. image.jpg

I wouldnt want to be anywhere else. Except the carribbean. in the winter.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
No. I get attached to all of my tools. Not emotionally attached, but I am loyal to them.
What I'd like to know is if it is a guy-thing, or do girls/ladies get attached?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya girls do too, but it seems to be toward diamonds

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No. I get attached to all of my tools. Not emotionally attached, but I am loyal to them.
What I'd like to know is if it is a guy-thing, or do girls/ladies get attached?
Yes even emotionally, I was really sad when the univ decided it wasn't cost effective to maintain the electron microscope I used and looked after for 30 yrs and sent it to salvage. It worked too. $200,000 new then, way more now. They had others...but it wasn't the same. There is a lot of good working equipment in my lab that I feel loyal to. Other folks think it is just stuff. We've kept it up, it is clean, and still works right. Old, so no one wants a lot of it. I've found homes for many pieces though. Made me feel better than just sending it to salvage.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I totally agree.

I have a friend who is so dedicated to his machines, he changes the oil every six months regardless of mileage. He "pickles" engines he plans to sit idle for more than three months. Yet, he sees pictures of my Kubota and tells me, "Your tractor is not dirty enough..."

There is a sensibility many have about what machines are. Lots of folks just see them as hunks of metal. Inanimate. Without any soul. In fact, suggesting a car can have some limited "soul" is heresy met with ridicule by most.

To many of us, machines represent an "ability" we would not otherwise have without them. That ability makes this a better world. And without care and attention, that ability will cease. I view my role as caretaker of the tools and machines I have.

I spent years of my life working inside machines. When I see a picture like this and I think of all the people that were absolutely convinced that they were going to die -but didn't, I am saddened how they meet their end. Like anything else, it costs money to maintain and store equipment. If they can be recycled into pots and pans or something more useful, that is good I guess. The atoms in our body came from the heart of stars, which is where they will likely end up again some day.

Recycling truly is Nature's Way. But while I have stuff, I aim to take care of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
City folks don't know what their missing. No city streets look this good.My Kubota helps me keep it looking this good.

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
All these shots of Kubotas on beautiful property make me think we need a thread of just Kubotas at home, in their work environment. Some lucky person might get tapped for an ad photo!:)

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I totally agree.

I have a friend who is so dedicated to his machines, he changes the oil every six months regardless of mileage. He "pickles" engines he plans to sit idle for more than three months. Yet, he sees pictures of my Kubota and tells me, "Your tractor is not dirty enough..."

There is a sensibility many have about what machines are. Lots of folks just see them as hunks of metal. Inanimate. Without any soul. In fact, suggesting a car can have some limited "soul" is heresy met with ridicule by most.

To many of us, machines represent an "ability" we would not otherwise have without them. That ability makes this a better world. And without care and attention, that ability will cease. I view my role as caretaker of the tools and machines I have.

I spent years of my life working inside machines. When I see a picture like this and I think of all the people that were absolutely convinced that they were going to die -but didn't, I am saddened how they meet their end. Like anything else, it costs money to maintain and store equipment. If they can be recycled into pots and pans or something more useful, that is good I guess. The atoms in our body came from the heart of stars, which is where they will likely end up again some day.

Recycling truly is Nature's Way. But while I have stuff, I aim to take care of it.
What...are we brothers separated at birth? Your not alone...I have to remind myself humans are more important than machines...sometimes I think I get more upset over machines being destroyed than humans.

I see that plane pic and think about the HOURS designers spent, sleepless nights thinking up solutions to problems. Then the craftsman that spent time on all the big stuff and the little details and how proud they must be to see them in the air. Then it gets ripped to shreds.

If it were up to me, no machine would ever "run it's course" they would be maintained. People scrapped 67 Mustangs in the late 70's because they were worthless....those same cars are back on the road today. Not because they are any better now but because someone cared and learned to appreciate the original designers/builders work.

Oh...and I might just be one of those guys:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just talk to an OLD Harley rider and let tell you about his old pan head

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
After owning this BX for 5 years and going through a bunch of fuel filters and other pain in the neck things, my answer is NO. I hate to wish this thing on the next owner, but I'm now looking for another brand. My experiences with blue and red have been great. This orange thing will be gone soon I hope.