Dash Cams

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just got back to the house and had to clean my shorts out! A snowflake pulled out in front of me at an intersection and I guess she was texting or on the phone, either way I got stopped about 3 feet short of T boning her! And I got back to the barn and started looking for a dash cam, but I know nothing about them so I want to ask the smart people in here about dash cams. Now from what I see they all need a smart phone, something I dont have. So is there a real dumb one that you dont need a smart phone for? All I really want to do is CMA in case something stupid does infact happen. Ideas please.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
dash cams should have a 'micro flash card', like cameras. You remove them, install into an adapter and have your PC access the data. Yeah, it's SUPPOSED to be that simple....

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I`ve had a number over the years. Currently using these:
with 64Gb Samsung Pro Endurance micro SD memory cards rated for dash cam use. (not all cards take well to the continued over-writing that a dash cam does). That size provides about 10 hours of recording time before overwriting.

The camera provides decent images at night and a nice width of image -- roughly from A post to A post. Resolution is good enough to make out license plate numbers of close calls. Seamless transition between segments. G-force impact detection + manual marking to protect the current segment from being over-written. Discrete -- I have mine mounted next to the rear-view mirror and it blends right in.

Cheap insurance, especially in circumstances where you are deemed automatically at fault unless you can prove otherwise or need to prove you had the green light, etc.

But a double-edged sword as well -- it can also prove you were in the wrong. I`ve seen that happen -- an incident were one driver was bragging he `caught the whole thing on his dash cam`. The cop reviewed the footage and not only was he charged, he was arrested and charged with numerous other incidents that he had `caught on camera`.

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
I actually went on Amazon and relied on reviews for the type of camera I wanted. It worked for me, the cam I bought works well, that was about 2 years ago.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
These days, its better to have them. In this case, every eyewitness that saw the crash claimed that the "red car" caused the accident. There was almost a "manhunt" looking for the driver until he showed up with his dashcam video.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If Skeets will allow me to piggyback...

I'm looking for some camera's as well. I need one (reverse camera) for the dump truck but I'd like to have one out front as well. I've seen a few that attach to the rearview mirror that also has a front camera. Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

I can't use the windshield mounted rear view mirror anyway with the dump and tool body, so was hoping to get a camera system that attaches to the (unused) rear view mirror.

zuiko

Equipment
L2900
May 29, 2017
Canada
I use the Street Guardian dash cams. They're very well regarded and have excellent video quality, although not the cheapest option out there. They have several versions to choose from with options for both front and rear cameras. No cell phone needed.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Rexing V1, nothing fancy, not expensive but a really good camera. Bought one after a guy on another board showed the videos it took, very nice for the price.

If I had it over again I would go front and rear.

Had one for ~3 years now. Picked up some stuff to show and tell the family, but nothing crazy just yet.

Clint from Flint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2350, B26 TLB, Covington Plant., Landpride Tiller, Hustler Flip-up
Dec 12, 2020
Flint, Texas
I have a Cobra SC 200D dash cam front and rear view but I'm unable to figure out how to format the stupid micro SD cards.....a friend formatted one of my SD cards and it took him approximately 45 minutes with all the 20 steps it took from the directions from Cobra.......and from what I've read I'm not the only person in this fix.....I'm sure a lot more dash cams would be sold and used if they were simple to program the SD micro cards.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
... Now from what I see they all need a smart phone, something I dont have....

Ideas please.
My advice is to first get a smart phone...LOL...helps me for reasons I do not wish to expand on at the moment. But no regrets...and no cameras so far in the car either, but I can see their value...

AND I might actually invest in a vehicle camera. With BOTH front and rear views. When you need the information, best you have everything possible.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I bought a Garmin NuviCam in 2015. Will never be without one now. I have also bought two of the small dash cams, but they are no where near as easy or nice as the Garmin. The screen is too small to review anything and the controls basically suck.

I was so pissed at myself, I went to transfer my Garmin to my other truck in preperation for a trip in it, and dropped the damned thing, cracking the screen. It still worked but the camera controls were dead. Thats when I went and got the other camera. It took me a while but I did finally find a replacement screen through alibaba, and was able to replace it. MesoHappy!! We are going to Florida this weekend and I get to use my Garmin again. I prefer it over the newer built in Nav, and I can use Basecamp to plan out trips and upload them to the Garmin.

So if looking for a Dash Cam, look at two things, HD, or video quality, and video controls. The easier to work, the clearer the picture, the better it will be. What I like about the Nuvi cam is that the GPS coordinates and speed are on the video. The speed can be turned off, but when you get pulled over for speeding, when you are not speeding, or pulled over for blowing a light or sign when you didn't, case closed.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
If Skeets will allow me to piggyback...

I'm looking for some camera's as well. I need one (reverse camera) for the dump truck but I'd like to have one out front as well. I've seen a few that attach to the rearview mirror that also has a front camera. Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

I can't use the windshield mounted rear view mirror anyway with the dump and tool body, so was hoping to get a camera system that attaches to the (unused) rear view mirror.
I am considering this one for my Nissan Titan since the old backup camera I put in is getting very worn out. I currently have something similar installed on my Ford Focus that is not available any longer.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
The company I work for has forward and reverse cams in all our 40+ trucks. Has ended a lot of pretty crappy discussions with people who claimed things that just weren't true.
When my granddaughter got her license my son installed a camera in the car. Not long after she was involved in a head on collision. The other driver swore to the cop she crossed into his lane. My granddaughter said no. Who ya going to believe a 46 yo guy in a suit or a 18 yo girl in her soccer uniform?
My son downloaded the camera file and it ended the discussion.
fyi my gdaughter was totally unhurt, Honda was totaled:
10 seconds

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I also installed one in my car: Dash Cam

Not the least expensive model but has some nice features like rear cam included and 'parking mode'.
The parking mode will turn itself off if the car battery gets below a minimum voltage. It will record not only on an impact while parked but also if someone walks in front of the camera.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
dash cams should have a 'micro flash card', like cameras. You remove them, install into an adapter and have your PC access the data. Yeah, it's SUPPOSED to be that simple....
I use a Polaroid dashcam & it don't need no stinking cell phone. It uses a micro-sd card for memory & just does this in an endless loop
It's a cheapo but you can get them that if it feels an impact/sudden stop it puts a time stamp right there.
Garmin now has some of the dash mount gps units with a built in dash cam which I'm thinking about going to upgrade to

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The company I work for has forward and reverse cams in all our 40+ trucks. Has ended a lot of pretty crappy discussions with people who claimed things that just weren't true.
When my granddaughter got her license my son installed a camera in the car. Not long after she was involved in a head on collision. The other driver swore to the cop she crossed into his lane. My granddaughter said no. Who ya going to believe a 46 yo guy in a suit or a 18 yo girl in her soccer uniform?
My son downloaded the camera file and it ended the discussion.
fyi my gdaughter was totally unhurt, Honda was totaled:
10 seconds
10-second video not available.