Dash Cams

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Even without that video, the debris field would clearly show he was in her lane and not the other way around, but having video proof just makes it a win win.

My daughter was all gung ho wanting her license. I sat her down and had her watch an hour of crash videos. She is no longer eager to get her license

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Even without that video, the debris field would clearly show he was in her lane and not the other way around, but having video proof just makes it a win win.

My daughter was all gung ho wanting her license. I sat her down and had her watch an hour of crash videos. She is no longer eager to get her license
It is sad that your daughter had to go through that horrible experience.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: It is sad that your daughter had to go through that horrible experience.

really ?? NOTHING 'horrible' about it at all.. She is LUCKY, didn't have to experience ANY of the crashes, busted limbs, blood, PAIN and SUFFERING..... others did though !

hello, this is the REAL World.. NOT some shangrala where you can wear rose colored glasses 24/7 and never ever get hurt.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Having been in 2 head on crashes myself @ 45 MPH, I know what it is like when you come to a dead stop in an instant and have the bags deploy and the seat belt snap you back into the seat crushing your ribs. I would much rather have her see what can happen in the real world through the lens of a dash cam, than to experience it in person.

Kids think driving is all fun in games, until shit happens to them. I would much rather have both my kids know up front that driving is dangerous and not a game, and a crash can happen in a heartbeat. Thankfully neither of them were with me during the crashes, my wife was in one of them. My last one was 1/11/2017 and I am STILL feeling rib pain where the cartilage between the right ribs and sternum was torn.

I am pretty sure I have the dash video of that crash somewhere. I saw the guy lose control and I just held on because there was no stopping.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'm ok with people using dash cams for their curiosity. Dash cams don't stop wrecks, but sometimes make some cool to watch videos.

I'm not someone who has hardly any wrecks, but it's pretty simple to determine fault for better insurance companies. I pay them to figure it out. The insurance companies also have rules for when they will accept fault or not. Luckily, I pay attention and usually can keep someone from running into me. There was the time I was sitting at a light and somehow the other driver tried to drive right through my door at low speed. He tried to convince his insurance company that my car drove sideways into his. ;). The damage to the front of his bumper told a different story.

If your insurance covers rentals, I suggest you take advantage of it. Don't do without while the insurance companies are deciding it was the other guy's fault. ;). Yes, you might be a bit out of pocket for a while, but if you have a good insurance company it will all work out.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . .

I'm not someone who has hardly any wrecks, but it's pretty simple to determine fault for better insurance companies. I pay them to figure it out. The insurance companies also have rules for when they will accept fault or not. . . .
This is just so much wishful thinking. It's been my experience that they will do anything to get out of paying or paying as little as possible.

Several years ago I owned a commercial building. One night a woman made a left hand turn on the street and drove straight into it.
Bottom line, my insurance company accepted the 75% her insurance offered. I was out 25% of my deductible and they raised my rates the next year.
When I bitched to my agent and he inquired it was just simple math for them. Cheaper to take 75% than litigate.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This is just so much wishful thinking. It's been my experience that they will do anything to get out of paying or paying as little as possible.

Several years ago I owned a commercial building. One night a women made a left hand turn on the street and drove straight into it.
Bottom line, my insurance company accepted the 75% her insurance offered. I was out 25% of my deductible and they raised my rates the next year.
When I bitched to my agent and he inquired it was just simple math for them. Cheaper to take 75% than litigate.
SO TRUE!
ALL insurance companies are out to pay as little as possible.
Frequently they can find loopholes you would have never even dreamt of.
I do not trust any of them........well....maybe USAA, which I have had for 60 years.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think our experience is different because I have a good company (not cheap one) and rarely use mine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess Jim that if should you, God forbid, have a questionable occurrence. Someone close by has a cam to record it for you. A picture is worth a 1000 words, and has proven more than one case for me in court. And if you think for one second your insurance company is your friend, you might want to put down what ever you are smoking. They will throw you under the bus in a heart beat if it is going to save them money,, Just MHO after all what do I know

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
God forbid, have a questionable occurrence. Someone close by has a cam to record it for you.
Of course, you can be convicted or found to be at fault with your camera as well. But, like I said, feel free to record all you want.

Btw, there aren't a lot of people out where I live, so first, there would have to be another car on the road. ;)

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
They say accidents happen within 5 miles of home. That is SO true! Both of my crashes were within a 5 mile radius.

If you don't drive stupid, then getting caught doing something stupid with a dash cam wont happen. If you think it will catch you doing something wrong, well, maybe you need to re-evaluate how you drive.

Majority of county and state have a 9 your fine, 10 your mine rule. I found that 6 over is ignored by every one I went by, 8 over and they do pull you over and usually give a warning. 10 over, you get ticketed. With that said, if you get pulled over and you are doing 5 over, and are being sited for 15 over, you have video proof you were not going 15 over. Yes you were still over, and yes you will get a fine, but 5 over in most states is a wrist slap, 15 over is a hard punch. Which would you rather have a light fine and no record, or 15 over a heavy fine and taking a class to get your license back?

Get pulled over for a california turn when you know you came to a complete stop before turning, present the video, case closed.

When I had both crashes, it could be stated I was driving too fast for conditions. If you were to take the last 30 seconds, then it would appear to be the case, but in both cases, conditions showed my speed to be fine. In fact I started slowing before I hit the ice because it felt like the pavement condition was changing, and had the guy not lost control and slid in front of me, I would have been able to slow and stop at the next intersection. The other one there was blowing and drifting snow with a couple white outs that lasted seconds, then we crested a hill and hit a wall of snow, inside was a white car dead in the road without any hazards on, Didn't see it until a second before impact.

In both cases the video would show that I was in fact slowing prior to the incident due to conditions, and both were beyond my control. In neither case were the videos required for insurance purposes, but in the event something came up they would be useful tools.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Jay,-

While you are correct that physical injuries can be horrific, the accident experience can still be traumatic and should not be minimized. Besides, despite safety features like crumple zones, self-tensioning seat belts, air bags and the like, people still regularly receive non-life threatening physical injuries in such a collision. The human body was not designed to go from 30 to 0 in a split second, no matter how much padding is provided.

That particular 10 second clip shows enough to suggest physical evidence would not only earn the other driver a traffic citation(s), but also possibly obstruction charges for lying to the investigating officer about who crossed the line. Better to say nothing than to lie when at fault.

The real value of a dash cam is when the circumstances are in doubt. In Ontario, our "no fault" insurance system makes fault determinations based on assumptions, unless one can prove otherwise. For example, if you rear-end a vehicle, you are automatically at fault -- unless they made a sudden lane change.

There was a scam going around the Toronto area several years ago where individuals were suddenly throwing their vehicle in reverse to hit the car behind and then shake down the innocent driver behind by claiming they were rear-ended. Dash cam footage proved the innocence of one intended victim and the resulting investigation revealed the same crook had successfully pulled this off many times before. That's what prompted me to install them in my vehicles.

Here is that now-infamous clip:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Jay,-

While you are correct that physical injuries can be horrific, the accident experience can still be traumatic and should not be minimized. Besides, despite safety features like crumple zones, self-tensioning seat belts, air bags and the like, people still regularly receive non-life threatening physical injuries in such a collision. The human body was not designed to go from 30 to 0 in a split second, no matter how much padding is provided.

That particular 10 second clip shows enough to suggest physical evidence would not only earn the other driver a traffic citation(s), but also possibly obstruction charges for lying to the investigating officer about who crossed the line. Better to say nothing than to lie when at fault.

The real value of a dash cam is when the circumstances are in doubt. In Ontario, our "no fault" insurance system makes fault determinations based on assumptions, unless one can prove otherwise. For example, if you rear-end a vehicle, you are automatically at fault -- unless they made a sudden lane change.

There was a scam going around the Toronto area several years ago where individuals were suddenly throwing their vehicle in reverse to hit the car behind and then shake down the innocent driver behind by claiming they were rear-ended. Dash cam footage proved the innocence of one intended victim and the resulting investigation revealed the same crook had successfully pulled this off many times before. That's what prompted me to install them in my vehicles.

Here is that now-infamous clip:
The "innocent driver" was using a rear "dash" cam, or a backup cam??

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I just got back to the house and had to clean my shorts out! A snowflake pulled out in front of me at an intersection and I guess she was texting or on the phone, either way I got stopped about 3 feet short of T boning her! And I got back to the barn and started looking for a dash cam, but I know nothing about them so I want to ask the smart people in here about dash cams. Now from what I see they all need a smart phone, something I dont have. So is there a real dumb one that you dont need a smart phone for? All I really want to do is CMA in case something stupid does infact happen. Ideas please.
I have been meaning to get a dash cam since I was T-boned buy a similar snowflake two years ago.
Totaled my older MB E-320.
I was lucky,....... her insurance accepted 100% fault, as they should have.

As a direct result of your post, I finally ordered a $39.99 dash cam on Amazon yesterday.
Cheap....but has very good reviews.
It also requires a 64mb mini SD card for $11 more.

Apparently no smart phone required, though I do have one.
Maybe the dash cam will really work?