D722 please help I am an idiot

Joemoy29

Oct 1, 2016
Freehold nj
I have a bobcat mt50 has a kubota d722 non turbo. I have owned the machine for a couple years and it is a beast. The gauge panel is rough and there is a idiot light for fluid. I had a bad hydro leak on a drive seal. Finally get the parts (bobcat sucks and sent me only half the parts first time). Get the seal fixed put some hydro fluid in it.

Start the machine and no leak. Yah I am awesome....the idiot light is still on so I put some more hydro fluid and then it starts overflowing resivour?????? Guess what there is two idiot lights this on is for oil. Before I realized this it started tapping a little and shut it right off.

Check the dip stick no oil. Yeah I am an idiot. I run out and grab some oil and fill it up and fire it up runs fine but blows white smoke out of exhaust. And leaking oil bad from filter area. I go to change the filter and it is on by two threads. Pull it off put new on. Fresh oil and still smokes white getting worse with higher rpms.

Dealership tells me head gasket so I order and switch. (Cylinders look fine no scoring) Fresh oil again and I fires right up, makes power but same issue with white smoke.

I am at a loss any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
D722 usually blows coolant when head gasket fails.
White smoke even at operating temperature?
Check air filter,and replace fuel filters while you are there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll bet it's actually blue smoke (oil) and it because it fried the rings when it ran dry.
Or it's flooding a cylinder from either a bad injector or low compression.
Do a compression test on it. ;)

Joemoy29

Oct 1, 2016
Freehold nj
Thanks for the reply. It's making normal power so that's why I didn't think low compression. This is a dumb question but I am not a diesel guy. But how do I do a compression check if there are no plugs?

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
There are plugs.............glow plugs that is lol. You can do a compression test through those ports.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You will need a diesel compression tester kit with the appropriate size glow plug adapters and appropriate range pressure gauge.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I recently went needed to test compression on a D722 engine also. I found that the properly sized glow plug adapter had a quick connect end that is smaller than a normal air quick coupler. I searched everywhere and it seems that it might be a proprietary fitting that only fits the Kubota compression gauge. None of the compression tester kits I checked had an adapter that would work. Frustrating!

I found, however, that paint ball guns use the same connecter. Ordered one of these and it worked great! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094TZVKC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
My Harbor Freight Diesel Compression tester had a Kubota fitting.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I think the D722 requires a smaller fitting than the one in HF kits. True, at least, for the kits in stock in my area. The D722 requires an 8mm - 1.0 fitting for the glow plug hole. Here's a link to the one I bought:
https://www.toolsource.com/engine-s...sion-test-adapter-8mm-100-kubota-p-97782.html

You'll notice the "quick connect" end. I didn't even think about it being a different size until I tried to attach to my gauge. I didn't even know there was a smaller quick connect fitting! However, the paint ball adapter worked fine.

I also tried to find a fitting in several kits for the injector port to no avail.

EzDuzIt

Equipment
BX24D
Jan 5, 2019
Southbridge, MA
I recently went needed to test compression on a D722 engine also. I found that the properly sized glow plug adapter had a quick connect end that is smaller than a normal air quick coupler. I searched everywhere and it seems that it might be a proprietary fitting that only fits the Kubota compression gauge. None of the compression tester kits I checked had an adapter that would work. Frustrating!

I found, however, that paint ball guns use the same connecter. Ordered one of these and it worked great! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094TZVKC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck.
Holy cow! I know this post is over 2 years old but Delmar just saved me a butt load of frustration.

I too just purchased a Harbor freight for my D902 engine (same super mini series engine as the 722) and found that the couplers that came with it would not fit my M8x1 heat plugs. I also found the same link for the same M8-1 fitting which I am about to purchase.

Never in a million years would I have figured out the paint ball gun connector! Come on guys. This type of detail is in need of a sticky! Had I not accidentally stumbled across this thread, I would have run through all sorts of additional pain. Is there any moderators that collects this and post stickys for the different generation kubota's?

Anyways, big props to Delmar for the huge hint! I owe you a beer!

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
...This type of detail is in need of a sticky! .... Is there any moderators that collects this and post stickys ...!
Yes there is. Check the Ultimate sticky at the top of each forum. It is a menu to great threads on specific topics.. just like this one.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That paint ball adapter apparently uses common 1/8" NPT threads...and that is so common that it is laughable. Why wouldn't you simply use a common hardware store version of the adapter?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That paint ball adapter apparently uses common 1/8" NPT threads...and that is so common that it is laughable. Why wouldn't you simply use a common hardware store version of the adapter?
I don't think your understanding...The glow plug adapter is a special adapter that is 8MM on the glow plug side but a quick connector on the other, a 1/8" NPT thread would not help him in the least. ;)

EDIT: I get the confusion as there are 2 links posted, the second link is just a coupling, not what he needs, this is what he needs, first link:
https://www.toolsource.com/engine-s...sion-test-adapter-8mm-100-kubota-p-97782.html

Attachments

Last edited:

John1953

Equipment
B7500 loader
Apr 4, 2021
Texas
I don't think your understanding...The glow plug adapter is a special adapter that is 8MM on the glow plug side but a quick connector on the other, a 1/8" NPT thread would not help him in the least. ;)

EDIT: I get the confusion as there are 2 links posted, the second link is just a coupling, not what he needs, this is what he needs, first link:

I ordered this item and tried to use it on my B7500 engine (D1005) ...the threads were not a perfect match and I did not want to screw up the threads on my tractor... ordered another one but it was shallow against the head....I could not get the gauge hose to properly fit to get a good read....any one else know a better adaptor?