Cutting treads off tyres

mmmkay777

Equipment
B7000
Jan 7, 2017
UK
Hi, might be a stupid question but can you cut the tread off? I'm considering getting turf tyres but just thought if I could cut them off instead this may do the trick.. the ones I have have very large tread.its a b7000 original tyres. Thanks

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Hi, might be a stupid question but can you cut the tread off? I'm considering getting turf tyres but just thought if I could cut them off instead this may do the trick.. the ones I have have very large tread.its a b7000 original tyres. Thanks
which tires are you contemplating to cut and is this a 4wd?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Keep in mind one has to maintain the size ratio between front and rear tires on a 4wd or you will incur gear binding within the transmission and/or other parts of the driveline.

If you shrink equally both front and rear tires to avoid that you have in effect changed your overall gear ratios so that may throw things off as well when it comes to actual use of the tractor.

Ive got no answer to will it harm your tires beyond you loose one set to sell in order to defray cost of purchasing the other.

For the heck of it, see if anyone wants to trade. Run an ad in your area or better yet outside your area but not too far that will more likely need rice tires. Maybe someone out there ended up with the tires you want and the trade works to their benefit.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It might be a lot easyer and cheaper just to hunt down a set of wheels and tires,, Grinding the tread off a tire might sound like the way to go,,, but now you have to make sure that the diameter of all the tires are the same, front and rear,, Then you have to dispose of the cut off compound, and now your down to almost the cords of the tire , not very much wear left and traction,, ahhhh not so much,, just MHO you understand

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Bad part on that model you have to change rims along with the tires in order to do turf tires.

Cutting the treads down with a hot knife would work, but very expensive to pay someone to do, and very expensive to buy the tool to do it yourself.

mmmkay777

Equipment
B7000
Jan 7, 2017
UK
Thanks for your help. I thought it would be a big job. Think I'll try and get some turfs with rims. Thanks

Dune33

Equipment
L3800, 72 kk mower, 48" tiller, plastic mulch layer,
Jun 14, 2012
Wyoming, MN, USA
I had a L1500 2x4 that had Rice tires and I cut them off with a saws all with a wood blade and WD40 ran it for 15 years after that,
4X4 is a different story

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Have those rice field tires recapped, this would be much more economical than buying new rims and tires and tubes. Put any tread style you want on those tires.

When I had my scrap yard in B.C. I sold all my good tire casings for recapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2GMD1TPzg

http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=548

A blast from the past for sure and Olson Tire hasn't retreaded tractor tires since
shortly after that 1993 ad/article was placed. It certainly was a great idea that John Olson came up with and built most of the equipment to be able to do it in his shop. Sadly tho they were only able to retread the largest most popular sizes at the time due mostly to the fact that they wore out quicker on the road between fields so the casings weren't rotted due to aging. After retiring John was out fishing enjoying life and drown while taking the boat out of the water. Sons Pat and Tim ran the business for several years and recently sold out and no longer carries the family name. The molds used were bought from Firestone and worked very well especially since it was a "hot cap" process build up like new tires are made and they mixed their own rubber formula's in a Banbury mixer that was salvaged many years before out of an old factory. The entire crew there were great hard workers innovative figuring out ways to do a better job making a better product. Michigan's finest I like to say when referring to those people that worked hard to take care of and fill their customers needs in the best possible way. RIP John you did awesome things in your life and treated everyone extremely well around you.
Al

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Al, interesting. Thanks. The background of things we take for granted makes us more appreciative of what we have.