Credit card fraud issues!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a Capital One card, and not one charge has ever been approved outside of what I have made. I use my card for business, and most of the charges are substantially more than the average person's personal card. I have had them deny charges that were not legitimate and they have always replaced the card with a new number. The only thing that I don't care for, is that they take about 7 - 10 days to get the new card to you. The last time I told them that I needed the card to be overnighted to me, and they sent it by USPS first class mail in a plain envelope. Those 10 days cost me a lot in the 2% back, and I told them that the next time if they don't overnight the new card, that I will close the account! Since then I haven't had any card breaches to the best of my knowledge. I always make at least 1 or 2 payments a week to keep the balance low.
On the sales side of the business, we have to do a lengthy security check every quarter, and they do a check electronically of our computers that are on the same IP account as the credit card terminal. We have a very low discount rate, because of our security at the store, and we never ever collect credit card numbers. During the pandemic, 100% of our sales were done as "card not present", and the discount rate on those sales was double our normal rate. I complained to the credit card processing company, and they gave us a 50% credit on the monthly bill to offset the higher discount rate. I am very happy with Capital One in general, and our Merchant Services company is also excellent to deal with. We have no middle man between our credit card processer, so we are dealing directly with the processor, which is a lot better. Never get a "we will have to check and get back to you" type of response to any questions that might arise.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well, I have looked. AND I have never found one that pays greater than 2 percent on ALL purchases. Granted they have revolving categories that pay more, even five percent, but usually on things that I do not use much. AND I can't be bothered with playing the game of having multiple cards and remembering which give the best cash back at any point in time, for whatever I am buying.

So I am a happy camper with 2 percent on EVERYTHING I buy. Maybe not the most, but the easiest. AND a lot more than just paying outright and getting nothing back at all.

Only makes sense for those that pay off the balance before any charges accrue. Works for us though...
I too had NEVER before found a CC that paid more than 2% back on anything other than those revolving eligibility cards.
I hated them too!
4% works great for me!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Would work for me too!!

Heck I got a text informing me that I had won $5,400,000 and all that they needed was my CC and PIN to complete the transfer of funds to my account. :rolleyes:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I deal with this a lot, any given month several trips east and far east.

For international use, I have a CC with a very low limit and is only used outside the country. Domestically, I use anything but have international transactions turned off unless I call. Setting up alerts for transactions over $1.00 are helpful to catch fraudulent activity.

In Beijing and Shanghai, the criminals are so embolden they will actually put skimmers on the ATMs at the bank itself! If you get change from a cab driver, 99% chance the money you get back is fake. Nothing is safe.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I too had NEVER before found a CC that paid more than 2% back on anything other than those revolving eligibility cards.
I hated them too!
4% works great for me!
How about a hint on how to find such a great card? Can't imagine why an credit card company would not want more people using their card.

I would change cards in a minute, even for an increase from 2% to 2.5%...

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sadly, my wife has become an expert at dealing with it. We have had our credit card number stolen twice and debit card once.

We have blocked any purchases outside of the US, which has really helped. We also have a credit/ID monitoring on all our stuff.

This seems to have brought that to an end, at least for the last few years.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Would work for me too!!

Heck I got a text informing me that I had won $5,400,000 and all that they needed was my CC and PIN to complete the transfer of funds to my account. :rolleyes:
What happened when you gave them your info? 😜

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Now that's funny. :ROFLMAO:

I only wonder how many desperate people actually fall for it. Sad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
How about a hint on how to find such a great card? Can't imagine why an credit card company would not want more people using their card.

"How about a hint on how to find such a great card"
Please refer to post #7.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
TLDR but, we have 2 cards.

One for online purchases, or when we have to give the number out verbally, etc.
and the other for live purchases where we insert our card.

The "online" card has had to be replaced ~4 times now by the company.
The "live" card is still going strong.
YMMV

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not much of a hint in post #7, except that it is not a Capital One card…
I don't have a good "hint".

Since it appears that you may question my claim, here is what is stated in the bank brochure:

"Earn 4 points per $1 on purchases" (the term "points" includes cash redemption)
"the term "purchases" does not mean every transaction you make with your credit card. Some limited transactions, such as cash advance transactions (including the purchase of cash equivalent products) and balance transfers are excluded.

This card became available to me when a large bank recently purchased a smaller bank that I had a VISA only relationship with.

I have no long term experience using this card, but the new to me parent bank is very large, and widely respected.

I have no other banking relationship with this successor bank or it's predecessor.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't have a good "hint".

Since it appears that you may question my claim, here is what is stated in the bank brochure:

"Earn 4 points per $1 on purchases" (the term "points" includes cash redemption)
"the term "purchases" does not mean every transaction you make with your credit card. Some limited transactions, such as cash advance transactions (including the purchase of cash equivalent products) and balance transfers are excluded".

This card became available to me when a large bank recently purchased a smaller bank that I had a VISA only relationship with.

I have no long term experience using this card, but the new to me parent bank is very large, and widely respected.

I have no other banking relationship with this successor bank or it's predecessor.

The requested hint:
A Pennsylvania bank!

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Are you implying someone should do their own research instead of relying on some one else to give them an answer 🤔

Interesting concept…I like it 😉
Maybe time for a new OTT Off Topic Challenge:

FIND THE BANK THAT GIVES 4% CASH BACK ON ALL PURCHASES!

(and win nothing but 4% cash back! )

LOL

PS...I have looked multiple times over the last year (or longer probably), but the BEST I can find is 2 percent cash back on all purchases...I would change to a 2.5 percent ON ALL PURCHASES card if I could find one.

I do not want to be bothered with playing the game of multiple cards used to get the most back on whatever rotating categories they may have at any given point in time.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
"the term "purchases" does not mean every transaction you make with your credit card. Some limited transactions, such as cash advance transactions (including the purchase of cash equivalent products) and balance transfers are excluded.
So the question is what is the cash redemption value of each point received. This would be the first question I would ask.

If it is once cent per point, good for you. Hope that is the case...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So the question is what is the cash redemption value of each point received. This would be the first question I would ask.

Wow !
You are a LOT smarter than I am!

I just got off the phone with the PA bank.
It turns out that they are pushing an advertising gimmick ( I have always hated banks)
Their "4 points" per dollar, would actually only be worth $8 cash back, for each $1,000 spent,....... while I interpreted it to be 4% cash back.
They were just fishing for an old sucker like me,....and caught one!

I owe you a great big THANK YOU for pointing out that deceptive crap out!
I'll stick with my no fee Citi Bank card at 2% cash back, and be happy!
Thank you VERY MUCH!
Color me, old, and .......Just plain DUPED !!!

That new credit card has now been chopped into many little pieces, with glee!

Last edited: