Credit card fraud issues!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I received a text and email from Capital One this morning informing me of possible fraudulent activity on one of the credit cards I have with them. The instructions were to call so I checked both cards on line and noticed two charges at Walmart.com from October totaling around $160, charges that I didn't make. The person I spoke with mentioned two attempted but refused charges early this morning. I have text alerts set up for any charges on all my credit cards but didn't receive any notice of the Walmart charges.

They cancelled the card in question and got the process rolling to send out a new card. After I got off the phone I started to think about the number of times I've had to have new cards issued by Capital One for some sought of fraudulent activity. I've been a member them since 2008 but I've had enough so cancelled both Capital One cards this morning and no doubt my credit score will take a hit.

I have other credit cards, one of which had to be cancelled and a new one issued about six months ago due to charges made in Europe, one charge of $1,000 for a plane ticket! Anyone else have a similar problem. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I think this will be the fourth credit card issue in a year. Credit Card companies need to do a lot more to put an end to this crap. Where did Walmart ship the products to? How could the criminal have the proper information from my card unless they hacked into a business that is storing that information. I need to look into better ways of paying for products. :mad:

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Last Christmas we went to visit my brother and his family. About a month later I was looking through the charges and saw a bunch of $60-$90 charges I didn't recognize so I ask my wife and she had no idea. Our debit cards have different numbers and the charges were about 1/2 to each. We both still had both of our cards with us and while on vacation NEVER used BOTH of the cards at the same place--why would we if we are together. So I started going back and realized that it was starting to add up!!! In total in about a month around $900. Of course it was 'nickel and dime' not one huge charge--and with both of us drawing from the same account I just figured she was getting stuff.

While we were in Idaho my brother got an alert--same thing happening to his account (I wasn't set up for alerts). It never occurred for me to check while there, I figured it was just his bad luck. So wherever we went someone, somehow 'scanned' our cards while we had them on us.

Since I have invested in a Grip6 card holder (actually purchased because I saw their ad on OTT) and it is supposed to prevent this from happening. I also now keep a close eye on every debit.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Last Christmas we went to visit my brother and his family. About a month later I was looking through the charges and saw a bunch of $60-$90 charges I didn't recognize so I ask my wife and she had no idea. Our debit cards have different numbers and the charges were about 1/2 to each. We both still had both of our cards with us and while on vacation NEVER used BOTH of the cards at the same place--why would we if we are together. So I started going back and realized that it was starting to add up!!! In total in about a month around $900. Of course it was 'nickel and dime' not one huge charge--and with both of us drawing from the same account I just figured she was getting stuff.

While we were in Idaho my brother got an alert--same thing happening to his account (I wasn't set up for alerts). It never occurred for me to check while there, I figured it was just his bad luck. So wherever we went someone, somehow 'scanned' our cards while we had them on us.

Since I have invested in a Grip6 card holder (actually purchased because I saw their ad on OTT) and it is supposed to prevent this from happening. I also now keep a close eye on every debit.
My personal experience!

I really do not see the need for any "Grip6" card holder, or any other special credit card fraud protection.
Are debit card issues different?
Just look over your monthly statement online when it becomes available.
If anything seems questionable just contact the CC company.
If you can prove fraud, they will readily take care of it.

A fraudulent $550 Office Depot charge was made to my account at a MIA OD store.
AMEX claimed that my card was presented in person.
I called..... BS!
I told them I could positively prove I was not in MIA that day.
How could I do that?
I was the captain on a flight from Detroit to Toyko when the MIA "in person" charge was made.

$800 in fraudulent gasoline charges were made to my card in one day, in Orlando.
I was on vacation in Canada for a month.
No problem!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Seems to happen more often than I’d like. We get reissued cards on average twice a year. One of the reasons I really like the regional bank we use is their fraud detection. Couple times a year they’ll call and ask, did you just buy breakfast in Phoenix? I tell them no. They say thanks, if you can do without the card a few days we’ll send you a new card, decline the charges, and get a new card out to you. Now, if we ever do something out of the ordinary, like go to Phoenix, I have to call a local branch ahead of time to keep from running into problems, but they’re really on top of any charges outside our normal habits.

I do have one of those aluminum lined sleeves to prevent wallet scanning but I have no idea if it actually works.

We also have IdentityForce but thankfully never had to use it. My brother had his identity stolen a few years back and did have to use it. He had to sign a few affidavits disallowing a couple of loans but otherwise they had a team of lawyers straighten it all out for him with nominal involvement on his part.

These days not having some sort of identity protection is about like not carrying insurance on your house.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a Chase card via AMAZON - hell I get lots of dollars back every month because I pay my bill to the fullest each month......

A couple of christmas's ago - I had a couple of charges pop up ......... two guitars from guitar world were sent out ........ I said - WTF !!!!!!!!!

I looked up the guitar place - called them, the guy on the other end called me by my first and last name and told me that those 2 guitars were on the way!!!!!! I told him the story and not to ship the last one ..... he was not worried about the first one that his company would never get paid for..........

so I asked where the first one was shipped ........... he told me to a place about 2 hours away ....... I grabbed my 45 and was headed OUT the door ......... wife stopped me and put me in my place ........

called the credit card place - got all the money back ... no problem

called the local police, filed a report - they did NOTHING - SO I called the police station where the guitars were delivered ........ nice detective called me back the next day, she told me she and her partner went to the location....... 2nd floor apt, a older oriental lady that spoke little English answered the door - the detective said there were 100's of boxes from every major company in her floor!! She said in bad english that she got a job on the internet receiving these packages and placing ANOTHER shipping label and then getting them to the local UPS/USPS - she was paid $5 for each she sent out the door!!!! AND was supposed to get a monthly check ( she never received that money)

So I logged on my chase account - placed checks in those boxes that say "if" happens then alert me.

I get a text ON every transaction I make.......... since doing this, knock on wood, have not had any problems.

What happens is this - it is not someone getting a hold of your card (even though the nice little waitress could photo the card front and back as she walks back to the register) it is these "cards" are stolen when a company that YOU used the card with........ YOU go to WALLY WORLD - swipe your card, WALLY World has this card IN THEIR computer ....... that company NOW gets hacked and thus these numbers are sold in blocks .......

HERE is a question I want to really know - WE all order online something...... and sometimes WE send it to someone else and this is where the real problem exists. WHY can't the CC company MAKE you verify by phone/text/email that YOU want to send it to ANOTHER address???? I don't get it !!!! IF something is stolen and SENT to MY house ......... the thief has to show up and get it, which still could be true - but it is SOOOOO easy to get the CC number - the passcode on the back and then go and order ANYTHING and have it shipped to ANYPLACE !!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Seems to happen more often than I’d like. We get reissued cards on average twice a year. One of the reasons I really like the regional bank we use is their fraud detection. Couple times a year they’ll call and ask, did you just buy breakfast in Phoenix? I tell them no. They say thanks, if you can do without the card a few days we’ll send you a new card, decline the charges, and get a new card out to you. Now, if we ever do something out of the ordinary, like go to Phoenix, I have to call a local branch ahead of time to keep from running into problems, but they’re really on top of any charges outside our normal habits.

I do have one of those aluminum lined sleeves to prevent wallet scanning but I have no idea if it actually works.

We also have IdentityForce but thankfully never had to use it. My brother had his identity stolen a few years back and did have to use it. He had to sign a few affidavits disallowing a couple of loans but otherwise they had a team of lawyers straighten it all out for him with nominal involvement on his part.

These days not having some sort of identity protection is about like not carrying insurance on your house.
Wow. We use one of two credit cards for just about everything, including our car and home owners insurance, dental visits, and everything else. Probably 20K dollars per year, maybe more if we are traveling. Paying monthly utilities too. I really do mean almost everything. That gives us about $400 per year that we would not get if we paid cash.

We always pay the balance in full each month. Playing the game to get the cash rebate.

Maybe over the years we had a call from a credit card company once regarding a purchase we did not make. Been a long time and I do not remember the details.

Learned a while back that debit cards do not offer the same protection as a credit card. We NEVER use out debit cards in place of a credit card. Rather have the 2 percent back from the credit card anyway. Adds up.

Now I am wondering why this might be in our case. Hopefully nothing will change. Our positive experience has nothing to do with being proactive on our part...just the way things are for us. OR have been...knock on wood now that I said this...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wow. We use one of two credit cards for just about everything, including our car and home owners insurance, dental visits, and everything else. Probably 20K dollars per year, maybe more if we are traveling. Paying monthly utilities too. I really do mean almost everything. That gives us about $400 per year that we would not get if we paid cash.

We always pay the balance in full each month. Playing the game to get the cash rebate.

Maybe over the years we had a call from a credit card company once regarding a purchase we did not make. Been a long time and I do not remember the details.

Learned a while back that debit cards do not offer the same protection as a credit card. We NEVER use out debit cards in place of a credit card. Rather have the 2 percent back from the credit card anyway. Adds up.

Now I am wondering why this might be in our case. Hopefully nothing will change. Our positive experience has nothing to do with being proactive on our part...just the way things are for us. OR have been...knock on wood now that I said this...
I'm thinkin you need to find a better credit card company/bank.
$400 back on 20K is good, but not the best there is.
I formerly had Capital one at 2%.

I have a new (no fee card) that gives 4% back.
I really do not want to give that info out though, because it may be a long term preferred customer thing.
It was 5%, but on only gas/groceries/drugs; now has changed to 4% instead, but on almost everything.

If I buy a cup of coffee, it goes on the card!
I really don't know why they do it, but.....I'm lovin it!
I have never had a debit card!

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have a Chase card via AMAZON - hell I get lots of dollars back every month because I pay my bill to the fullest each month......

A couple of christmas's ago - I had a couple of charges pop up ......... two guitars from guitar world were sent out ........ I said - WTF !!!!!!!!!

I looked up the guitar place - called them, the guy on the other end called me by my first and last name and told me that those 2 guitars were on the way!!!!!! I told him the story and not to ship the last one ..... he was not worried about the first one that his company would never get paid for..........

so I asked where the first one was shipped ........... he told me to a place about 2 hours away ....... I grabbed my 45 and was headed OUT the door ......... wife stopped me and put me in my place ........

called the credit card place - got all the money back ... no problem

called the local police, filed a report - they did NOTHING - SO I called the police station where the guitars were delivered ........ nice detective called me back the next day, she told me she and her partner went to the location....... 2nd floor apt, a older oriental lady that spoke little English answered the door - the detective said there were 100's of boxes from every major company in her floor!! She said in bad english that she got a job on the internet receiving these packages and placing ANOTHER shipping label and then getting them to the local UPS/USPS - she was paid $5 for each she sent out the door!!!! AND was supposed to get a monthly check ( she never received that money)

So I logged on my chase account - placed checks in those boxes that say "if" happens then alert me.

I get a text ON every transaction I make.......... since doing this, knock on wood, have not had any problems.

What happens is this - it is not someone getting a hold of your card (even though the nice little waitress could photo the card front and back as she walks back to the register) it is these "cards" are stolen when a company that YOU used the card with........ YOU go to WALLY WORLD - swipe your card, WALLY World has this card IN THEIR computer ....... that company NOW gets hacked and thus these numbers are sold in blocks .......

HERE is a question I want to really know - WE all order online something...... and sometimes WE send it to someone else and this is where the real problem exists. WHY can't the CC company MAKE you verify by phone/text/email that YOU want to send it to ANOTHER address???? I don't get it !!!! IF something is stolen and SENT to MY house ......... the thief has to show up and get it, which still could be true - but it is SOOOOO easy to get the CC number - the passcode on the back and then go and order ANYTHING and have it shipped to ANYPLACE !!!!!
Kind of drives me nuts, too. We put a fraud alert on our credit every 3 months. I went to get another credit card for international travel at my bank and the guy I was dealing with asked if we’d been victims of fraud. Told him I shop at Target so who knows?

Only difference the fraud alert made was he had to check my driver license to make sure it was me. I don’t understand why someone taking out a loan isn’t required to show up in person to the lender to do that every time. At least have an option where I can choose that without having to file a fraud alert every three months. I suppose the other option would be to lock my credit, I’ve just never done that.

I just assume all my info is on the black web for sale somewhere. Even some of the stuff I use at work (which does have some pretty strict controls to keep it for work only) if I have a name and need a date of birth, social security number, address history, unlisted phone numbers, email addresses; it’s all just a few clicks away. Just have to know where to look and be willing to spend a couple bucks. And I’m not some high security clearance black ops type person. Pretty much just a grunt that knows where to look. I could do the same on my own but it would cost me $20 per search instead of $0.50. If you think you have privacy, you’re fooling yourself. Just depends on whose looking and how hard they want to look to know all that’s needed to steal your identity. When I first got access to that stuff, scared the crap out of me.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
There is a big difference in risk between a debit card and a credit card. If you use a debit card and are defrauded, the bank is not legally required to refund your money. If you use a credit card you are legally responsible for a maximum of $50 for a fraud, and most (all?) credit card companies do not charge you the $50.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have fun with my email address. Mine is: "my first initial, last name, a digit at ....."

I get notices frequently addressed to Loretta, who is a nurse in NM who purchases many items from various stores. My first name is Len. So apparently she used her first initial, last name, and probably a different digit, but I get mail for her frequently. Just yesterday I got an email from the American Nurses Assoc.

No code has to be inserted here.

No code has to be inserted here.

I'm not going to participate in the webinar, not sure what the "sandwich generation" is, but I can't get this wrinkle out of my system. I've called stores who sent notices of upcoming deliveries, etc. but nobody can change whatever causes the overlap.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've never had one either. I don't know why CC companies can't issue those random number generators such as the one my company issues me to log onto the VPN or the one that Ebay offers to enable logins to an account. Make the card invalid in every possible purchasing situation unless the proper code is provided.

I know credit card companies will take care of fraudulent charges but that's not the point to me. It infuriates me that some piece of $hit scumbag is getting stuff that he or she isn't paying for. We're all paying for this kind of fraudulent activity but credit card companies don't seem to care.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Years ago, we got some really good advice from a financial planner. Have a credit card whereever you want. Let's say Great Falls Savings and Loan. Open another account at an entirely different bank, let's say 1st Nat'l Bank of Tucumcari. Deposit $500 in the 2nd bank, and get a debit card. Now use that debit card ONLY FOR INTERNET PURCHASES. That way, if an account for Amazon or whereever gets hacked, you're only out $500, and chances are the bank will re-imburse.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I get hit often

bank always notifies me immediately, like within a minute or two, of any purchase more than "usual". Yes they (as do most banks) kinda look at your spending habits and profile you. If anything is abnormal they'll usually call or text or email you.

Last time I got hit was a month ago but this one was a paypal scam. Ordered a part for the car. Looked legit. 2 weeks goes by no part but they got my money. Looked at the paypal transaction and it was paid to a company that was not named the same as the website, so I investigated. The company was based at an address, so I googled the address and it came up with a slum house in a slum part of Cincinatti. The website came up as a place in commiefornia. Yep they got me for $280. So out of curiousity I sent an email to the "contact" email form and got no response. Then tried to call. Phone number no good. Called paypal to report it as scam and see if there is any money back. Paypal looks into it and there is a tracking number, so automatic denial of refund if there is a tracking number. Well that leaves me with doing my own investigation, and I did-and it didn't take all that long. The tracking number originally stated it was supposed to be delivered to my house. Great. Maybe the company is gonna actually deliver. Several days go by, nothing. Called post office, and they do an internal investigation. Tracking number shows that it was attempted to deliver, but road construction blocked the road. Well I was home all day working in the shop and I live on a loop, there ain't no reason that the post office cant' deliver, and there was no package-but the rest of the mail showed up. Next I called postmaster back and told her what I came up with. She says your tracking number was delivered. To where, cause I didn't get anything? She gave me the tracking info which was totally different than what I originally got, and the best part is, it was delivered in the same town. THe town I live in has less than 800 people so it wasn't hard to figure out where it went, a known drug house not too far from here. At that point I got all the written documentation, called paypal back, and got refunded. But thats where most folks would be done. No, I don't give up that quickly. I have friends who are in the know, so I explained to them what happened and the ball got rolling. Drug bust, they were using the website to ship/receive illegal drugs through the postal service to/from basically all over the usa, and the package that I was supposed to get didn't have a 16 volt battery it had stuff, and was "redirected" to this other place. Now that they have control over it, there is one less pusher on the streets, at least temporarily.

Yes scam stuff is happening a lot!

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I recently downloaded the app for my credit card. I have had my CC number stolen a few times and it is infuriating. I have not thoroughly read the posts, but it was mentioned above about about shipping to any address with credit card purchases without any verification. I asked the credit card representative last time when she said the package was shipped to somewhere in Florida (I'm in Alabama), why couldn't I lock my address and not allow this. She said it could not be done.

Anyway, I now have the app for my CC and I just keep it locked until I go to use it. Once I make a purchase, I lock it again. Sometimes I forget that I have it locked and sometimes I remember after using my card I need to lock it. But, overall, a convenient feature.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Years ago, we got some really good advice from a financial planner. Have a credit card whereever you want. Let's say Great Falls Savings and Loan. Open another account at an entirely different bank, let's say 1st Nat'l Bank of Tucumcari. Deposit $500 in the 2nd bank, and get a debit card. Now use that debit card ONLY FOR INTERNET PURCHASES. That way, if an account for Amazon or whereever gets hacked, you're only out $500, and chances are the bank will re-imburse.
I like credit card use MUCH better.
No debit card,......I use my credit card, (everywhere) and if fraud is committed, credit card company will eat the loss.
I keep the $500!

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
And sadly, "cyber" security at many of these companies is severely lacking.

Pretty much the same reason that they're lax on security: corporate management has decided that the cost of the fraud is less than the cost of "fixing" it, so they don't bother.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm thinkin you need to find a better credit card company/bank.
$400 back on 20K is good, but not the best there is.
I formerly had Capital one at 2%.

I have a new (no fee card) that gives 4% back.
I really do not want to give that info out though, because it may be a long term preferred customer thing.
It was 5%, but on only gas/groceries/drugs; now has changed to 4% instead, but on almost everything.

If I buy a cup of coffee, it goes on the card!
I really don't know why they do it, but.....I'm lovin it!
Well, I have looked. AND I have never found one that pays greater than 2 percent on ALL purchases. Granted they have revolving categories that pay more, even five percent, but usually on things that I do not use much. AND I can't be bothered with playing the game of having multiple cards and remembering which give the best cash back at any point in time, for whatever I am buying.

So I am a happy camper with 2 percent on EVERYTHING I buy. Maybe not the most, but the easiest. AND a lot more than just paying outright and getting nothing back at all.

Only makes sense for those that pay off the balance before any charges accrue. Works for us though...

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I guess I've been every lucky. I've had and use a Discover card for alot of purchases for my business and personal use. I've had it six years I think and not one fraud charge. I do have text alert which is handy. I got Discover to get the miles for travel. When for the first time you use or sign up for the Discover card they will double the miles at the end of the first year. Say you have spent and have 500 miles(or dollars) earned. Discover doubles them Once. That first year. A very good deal. I wanted to buy three first class tickets to Alaska then. So I waited for January signed up for the card and being a cash and check person It certainly took me a month or so to Remember 'Use the Card' use the card. And finally I did. For my business purchases and all my personal ones and I was able to charge $65,000 in one year and made sure it was paid off every month.. Didn't pay one penny in intrest. They doubled my miles in January. I booked three first class tickets to Alaska for June to be there for the 21st and yes 24 hrs of daylight. But Discover only doubles it once that first year.
As far as Debit cards go. I had one for my business and years ago and checked my account each morning back then. One morning I checked over night there was a .05 cent debit then minutes later a $1200. debit for Australian Airlines. I called the bank at 8am when they opened. They froze my account. Then later in the day informed me that Business Debit cards were not covered by fraud.
No kidding. I wasn't to pleased. I told the bank manager the local tv station had a crew that did reporting on fraud and scams to consumers and I was going to have them do a story on their bank and not rembursing my stolen money. The bank president called me. Said they would agree to refund half my money if no television station was called. So I agreed and never used a debit card again.