COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

christhefur

Equipment
L4400, SVL75, KX040, BX23s
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Re: Is the sky falling?

It's another reminder of how fragile the global economy is. We never really recovered from 2008, and like 2008, it doesn't take much to start the domino effect.

Only upside for us - we planning on farming more this year, and the value of food doesn't seem to go down in these situations. Look at it out there, consumer goods and tourism being hit hard, but the toilet paper industry is having a hayday!!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

It's another reminder of how fragile the global economy is. We never really recovered from 2008, and like 2008, it doesn't take much to start the domino effect.

Only upside for us - we planning on farming more this year, and the value of food doesn't seem to go down in these situations. Look at it out there, consumer goods and tourism being hit hard, but the toilet paper industry is having a hayday!!
Totally agree, this one is gonna hit us all where it hurts the most, our pocket books. Kind of like the perfect storm here in Canada with the indigenous holding the country hostage, a virus which is only beginning to make it's way across North America that no one seems to know much about and that only fuels everyones fears and then theres the fuel price wars. All combined this is gonna put the hurt on many people and the effect will be felt for a long time, JMHO.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN

Just the normal cold viruses kill many times more peole every year. So why get so wound up over this one, when the others dont even make the back page? Seems like somebody wants to herd people for some reason.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Just the normal cold viruses kill many times more peole every year. So why get so wound up over this one, when the others dont even make the back page? Seems like somebody wants to herd people for some reason.
You're right, influenza will likely kill more people this year in North America than covid19 however the unknown is what makes people panic.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

You're right, influenza will likely kill more people this year in North America than covid19 however the unknown is what makes people panic.
Went to Sam's club last night for a few things. They had plenty of bottled water. But were out of toilet paper. Even the Chuck Norris toilet paper.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

If this keep up you might think about paper towels,,,lol

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Funny when we used to have paper 1 dollar bills a couple times out rabbit hunting I got caught without toilet paper so made do with a couple dollar bills. Wife and I were talking about the panic going on right now so I told her about my predicament back in the day. She said "OH MY GOODNESS" you didn't put them back in your wallet to which I replied no, I gave them to my buddy Roger who was hunting with me, the cheapest guy I've ever met in my life. Well with that we both broke out in tears laughing even though she knew very well I would never do that to my buddy.:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

This TP frenzy seems like people can't figure themselves out.

Most humans have habits, like sleeping, eating, working, etc. so a schedule is part of the habit. I know it may sound kind of crude, but folks eat and sometime afterwards defecate. So the concern for TP. If one eats on a regular schedule they will most likely defecate on a regular schedule. If necessary, rearrange the schedule.... So the goal is to defecate in the morning prior to a shower, or evening if you're so inclined. Problem solved! Save those horded cases of TP for unusual cases, and give some to your neighbors.

Think about it, when was the last time you went to a public restroom to defecate? A long time ago, because one doesn't find them clean or pleasant, so it's avoided. Simple proof folks can control themselves.

Somehow this needs to be put on a cell phone app. so folks can "un-panic".

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Went to Sam's club last night for a few things. They had plenty of bottled water. But were out of toilet paper. Even the Chuck Norris toilet paper.

DT, didn't you already use up your rations last month?:p;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

DT, didn't you already use up your rations last month?:p;)
I don't know how we are gonna make it with only 45 rolls of TP in the linen closet :eek: :eek:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

This TP frenzy seems like people can't figure themselves out.

Most humans have habits, like sleeping, eating, working, etc. so a schedule is part of the habit. I know it may sound kind of crude, but folks eat and sometime afterwards defecate. So the concern for TP. If one eats on a regular schedule they will most likely defecate on a regular schedule. If necessary, rearrange the schedule.... So the goal is to defecate in the morning prior to a shower, or evening if you're so inclined. Problem solved! Save those horded cases of TP for unusual cases, and give some to your neighbors.

Think about it, when was the last time you went to a public restroom to defecate? A long time ago, because one doesn't find them clean or pleasant, so it's avoided. Simple proof folks can control themselves.

Somehow this needs to be put on a cell phone app. so folks can "un-panic".
Having an ileostomy is a mixed blessing, nobody wants it however I'll never have to sit on another public crapper. +++++++++++++++++

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

We have always keep a couple months worth of food in the house. This comes from years a ago when I was in manufacturing and learned there is only a 3 week supply of food in the US supply chain. The whole "JIT" manufacturing sounds good until you run into supply shortages.

I won't deny that we stocked up a little extra. I work on a PC all day long so I am fairly plugged into the news and I figure a lot of other people are as well.

My wife and I were walking through a local market and I was amazed that it didn't seem like anyone had a care in the world. It will be these same people screaming at the government for not taking care of them. Having freedom in the manner that we do does not equal a free or easy ride, you are expected to take care of your own.

This forum for the most part seems to be loaded with common sense type people. The further you get from infrastructure, the more self reliant people tend to be.

I did stock up on additional TP. Not because I was worried about running out, but because one should not have to watch the world end with sub-par toilet paper.

Between this and all the salty tears since 2016 - Kimberly-Clarke stock should be a solid buy through 2023.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I corn cob (minus the corn kernels) works and so does your finger...lol Just don't eat with the hand you use to dig it out with....lol

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

I hope you are right, but the current numbers don't support your statement. If the COVID-19 follows the current estimates, it will leave the flu in the dust.

Countries don't take the extreme actions they are taking over the 'common flu'. The statement that 80% of the people get flu like symptoms, it is only the high risk that have to worry isn't true either. If you do some research the classification of 'mild' is that one doesn't meet the standard to be hospitalized and that many are sick for up to 40 days.

Italy is releasing a lot of good data and the most concerning data is how many are needing to be hospitalized and that the system is overwhelmed.

WHO just got onboard and declared it a global pandemic. IF, this turns out to follow the projected numbers, it will be an event that none of us have ever seen before.

Yet, just like every other pandemic, you will have a major interruption in your life and then most will return to normal within two years.

Now we wait and see.................

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

All those kinds of paper products were gone... TP, Paper towels, kleenex, like gone gone, it was a weird feeling!

What happens when desperate people start using inappropriate paper for tp, kleenex, and paper towels don't break down like TP.
So those and worse things like newspaper and magazines, are going to be plugging up septic systems, and the municipal water processing systems will have a huge battle to keep their systems working like they should.

You wanna cause a huge public health crisis, back up a few hundred thousand toilets and people will be in deep doo doo!

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA

Well if you go onto Amazon you can still buy it so there are stocks of it out there.

The thing about Walmart (and bulk stores like Sam's Club and Costco) is they keep as little stock of items as they can and rely on deliveries a few times a week to replenish what they are missing.

The less value in assets you have the less you owe in taxes. If you think about it the brick and mortar stores are chump change when you consider the millions of dollars in inventory they have on the shelves.

So if you need some TP (hopefully you buy more before you are on your last roll) and your local store is out order it from Amazon and get it in 2 days.

Hakuna Matata

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Well if you go onto Amazon you can still buy it so there are stocks of it out there.
Are you sure about that?

We looked yesterday and yes they had some, it was at stupid ridiculous prices from third party vendors only, none from amazon, they list it, but when you click to order they either gave a out of stock notice, or a really long delivery date, like 2 months. :eek:

Amazon has many different distribution warehouses so anything is possible.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Are you sure about that?

We looked yesterday and yes they had some, it was at stupid ridiculous prices from third party vendors only, none from amazon, they list it, but when you click to order they either gave a out of stock notice, or a really long delivery date, like 2 months. :eek:

Amazon has many different distribution warehouses so anything is possible.
NIW, the 'solution' in your situation is... Dig a hole out back, build a shanty over it. Build a bench with a hole in the top over the hole, add some lime to the hole, put some old read newspapers next to the hole and use the hole to poop in and wipe your bum with the newsprint. One, you cannot plug it up, two, the lime will break down the poop and we we and the newsprint as well and three, while you sit there you can read the papers and digest old news....

In your case, as well as mine, that tree over there makes a better we we spot.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.