Chevy or Dodge???

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The ford at my former place of work has its share of problems. Wont do a regen. Now reflashed to do a manual regen,which nobody does. Egr and fuel pump issues.
Not a truck for people that dont understand the the latest emissions technology.
That thing drives like a formula one race car- even loaded. 23 litres/100 km. not impressed with mileage. But it pulls. Hard.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Actually, from what we have seen so far, she tends to migrate towards the jacked up show trucks that she needs a step ladder to get in :D:D second choice is a 3/4 ton. She really liked the gmc 2500 with the duramax, but it was because of the trim and interior, and color. Plus you can pull a fifth wheel.

I would absolutely love to find one that just has power windows and door locks, a manual transmission with manual 4wd selector, vinyl seats and floors. It's a truck and I tend to use it as one. And I'm more comfortable towing with a manual transmission. But damn, it's become next to impossible to find a new truck with manual transmission. I've searched a 75 mile radius around here with all three dealers and haven't found a one. Gonna sit down later today and extend the search to see if I can find one. And yes, my wife likes a stick shift :D:D
hmmm.. she likes ladder mounting and stick shifts.... well then it's gotta be a UNIMOG :D. My last one had 6 sticks between the seats and most definately needed a ladder to get into and was only 2" taller tires than stock to improve Highway speeds. (she had 39.5 tires with OEM being 37's?)

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
hmmm.. she likes ladder mounting and stick shifts.... well then it's gotta be a UNIMOG :D. My last one had 6 sticks between the seats and most definately needed a ladder to get into and was only 2" taller tires than stock to improve Highway speeds. (she had 39.5 tires with OEM being 37's?)
Unimog wouldn't fly :rolleyes: we found one of those and an old humvee at a tote note place in little rock. She said "hell to the m###### f###==== no!!!!!"
:( For the record, my dad taught my brother and I how to drive in an old 6x6 that was getting sold by the fire dept. Had three shifters if I remember right. Said if we could handle one of those, we could handle anything. We used to drive it down the logging roads and roads to the hunting camps behind the house. Took both of us to drive it :D one to steer and run the pedals, the other to shift it. We were twelve at the time:D Dad made the mistake of saying if you could push in the clutch he would show us how to drive it. Used to slide down under the steering wheel where all you could see was my forehead. Lock my arms into the steering wheel and use my whole body to get in the clutch. Then the other would put it in gear and reach down with there left foot to give it some throttle. Then would realease my arms and let the clutch push me back into the seat :D gramps just laughed and told dad a deal was a deal and to show us :)

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My friend there aint enough beer in heaven to discuss redheads,:D,
Lord knows I love em,,,
But I digress ,,
I have an 04 Silverado with a 5.3 4x4 and auto extended cab and 8 foot bed, the old gal before that was a 94 GMC extended cab short bed with a 4.3, Both got about the same mileage and both have worked there little hearts out. Like you I buy a truck to use, and use them I do.
BUT finding something like a work truck vinyl and a standard is going to be tuff, they just don't come off the line like that any more. Trucks now are the station wagons of old and mostly decked out to the gills. I am looking hard at the new dodge diesel but don't have much input on it yet, baby daughter has an 06 1 ton Dodge with the big diesel pulling horses about and hasn't had any thing other than normal stuff done to it and empty it gets like 22 on the high way, pulling the 5th wheel slant horse trailer with critters 4, I think it drops to around 14.
Like most guys I know I have to wring out everything I can from a truck, I wish you well in your search. just make sure you post some pictures!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, it's a real personal preference issue.

If you can get an older Dodge with the Cummins turbo (pre-engine controller) they ride like trucks but man they are mechanically bullet proof once you get the overdrive lock nut kit installed on them. They will got a million miles.

The older Chevy's seem to be pretty okay, the diesels are pretty weak but mechanically sound.

The Ford older powerstroke diesels are not good at all. They almost all burn up the same cylinder due to lack of proper lubrication. My fathers friend is a dyed in the wool Ford guy and has burned up 3 of them, he just trades it in when it starts having the issue. His latest one is holding steady so maybe they've fixed it.

What I'm really curious about is the new Dodge half ton diesel. If that smaller engine cuts it, that's the truck to have with the fuel economy it gets, but darned they are pricey! I can't afford one!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ran a marathon through the dealers in town. Five out of the six dealerships ticked me off. Sixth one gave me the warm and fuzzys. Got some more in north little rock and a couple suburbs I'm gonna check tomarrow. Finding a new vehicle is worse then a route canal :) here's what I'm trading in

Here's the first contender. 2013 Chevy 1500LS 4x4 Crew cab with 22,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ran a marathon through the dealers in town. Five out of the six dealerships ticked me off. Sixth one gave me the warm and fuzzys. Got some more in north little rock and a couple suburbs I'm gonna check tomarrow. Finding a new vehicle is worse then a route canal :) here's what I'm trading in

Here's the first contender. 2013 Chevy 1500LS 4x4 Crew cab with 22,000 miles

get your kelly blue book price and hold to your guns with the "man" that goes to the back room to "talk" to the boss about your latest offer!!!

I find that I act just like they treat me, if they try to treat me like I do not know what I am talking about - they I start in on them - because I have the facts and figures to back up my claim. I once had a guy tell me that my "ford" truck would be hard to sell, I looked at him and asked him - what is the #1 selling truck in the world? He stuck to his stupid statement and I walked away.......those people that are willing to make $500 on a sale rather than $5000 are the ones that will be "nice" and listen.
Sometimes looking at the salesman, and telling him upfront, "treat me like an idiot, and you will lose a sale" will make him see the big picture. Then again - you cant fix an a$$HOLE nor stupid!:mad:

Let us know what cha get !

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
get your kelly blue book price and hold to your guns with the "man" that goes to the back room to "talk" to the boss about your latest offer!!!

I find that I act just like they treat me, if they try to treat me like I do not know what I am talking about - they I start in on them - because I have the facts and figures to back up my claim. I once had a guy tell me that my "ford" truck would be hard to sell, I looked at him and asked him - what is the #1 selling truck in the world? He stuck to his stupid statement and I walked away.......those people that are willing to make $500 on a sale rather than $5000 are the ones that will be "nice" and listen.
Sometimes looking at the salesman, and telling him upfront, "treat me like an idiot, and you will lose a sale" will make him see the big picture. Then again - you cant fix an a$$HOLE nor stupid!:mad:

Let us know what cha get !
Yup, I completely agree with that. Had one ask me about the cam issues with my truck since it had over 100k miles. :confused: Asked him what the hell he was talking about. Just repeated himself. called bull s### since I've dealt with fifteen other f150's in the past 10 years with work. All the others had 200k miles with just minor repairs before they were traded. told him he lost my buisiness and left. 4 other places were the same. Either bumped there head on the asking price, acting like they are doing you a favor. or really offending me on what they want to give for the trade and generally trying to get there monthly commission in one sale.

I was pretty grumpy by the time I looked at the crew cab. They made me a pretty good offer from the start. If I decide to get that one, I'll look up what the trade in value was on the crew cab, and then sick my wife on them :cool: Then sit back and instigate :D:D

Trust me my friend, you have to love them red heads :cool:

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
When I am buying a vehicle, trade in or not, I am interested in only one number. How much $$$$ to drive it off the lot. I already know what interest rates I can get from several places. I know the wholesale, trade and retail value of my trade. They play with the numbers shuffling them from one column to another. My favorite is the 4 square deal. I have torn up a number of these in front of the salesman :eek: is usually the expression their face. "This deal is only good until you walk out the door". That is my cue to leave. I am only going to be there for a given amount of time then I am off to the next dealer. I tell them that.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Contender number two is a rare find :) 05 f150 xlt 4wd Crew cab. Leather and loaded 28k miles, old man owned :D made an offer that I figured would tick them off. They took it on trade this morning and still need to inspect it. Will find out Friday if they wanna deal. Course the price is half the other truck :D

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Contender number two is a rare find :) 05 f150 xlt 4wd Crew cab. Leather and loaded 28k miles, old man owned :D made an offer that I figured would tick them off. They took it on trade this morning and still need to inspect it. Will find out Friday if they wanna deal. Course the price is half the other truck :D

nice truck - I aint much on leather - but dayum it look nice!!!!!

Funny how a guy that wants to sell you something, can piss you off so fast that you forget why you are there to begin with!:eek:

I too am one of those that have my numbers in my head or on paper......they always want my number first......My comment - you arent even close ......
then they say " it is the best we can do" - I get up from the table - no handshake and start the walk, then the meet you at the door....."now wait a second, let me see if I can go back and talk to owner....." Such bullshyte......

he goes back and takes a piss and comes back with a few large bills left off the price................

even with the truck you are looking at , go on KBB or NADA and see what it is WORTH! I never look at dealer prices, if YOU owned the truck - what is it worth ........then hold on to that number as long as you can !

good luck and tell us all about the options on that workhorse

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wife already checked blue book on the ford, I had run both numbers on mine so I know what they are playing with. Wife loves the ford, but I think it's more the fact it would be paid off in two years :) not a fan of leather either. Would have to get seat covers.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wife already checked blue book on the ford, I had run both numbers on mine so I know what they are playing with. Wife loves the ford, but I think it's more the fact it would be paid off in two years :) not a fan of leather either. Would have to get seat covers.

aint nuttin like sitting in a truck with leather when the OUTSIDE temps are 95F and then open that door and sit in that seat........

the sensation of burning your a$$ off.......priceless!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yup, the vinyl seats in my work truck are the same way. Nothing like hot tamales and blistered booty ;) learned real fast when it's 115 out to cover the seat and crank the ac before entering :) looks like it's a toss up between those two trucks. Every one else bumped there head

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Picked up the truck today:D did do an oops today that worked in my favor ;) screwed up and instead of sending my wife a pic and description of the truck and deal, I accidentally sent it to one of the salesmen I was dealing with, that was being stubborn :D oops. Wow, he called me right up, gave me the price I wanted, paid the sales tax and through in the extended warranty:D got an extended cab gmc sle 4x4. Low miles, and all the bells and whistles. Sending the salesman a text was easier then sicking my wife on him. Not as entertaining though. Here's what I got

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Nice. Think you will like it. From what i see, dont think you have it equipped with a remote starter. Not really necessary in your neck of the woods.backup camerea, right? They nice on those trucks,especially for backing to trailers.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Picked up the truck today:D did do an oops today that worked in my favor ;) screwed up and instead of sending my wife a pic and description of the truck and deal, I accidentally sent it to one of the salesmen I was dealing with, that was being stubborn :D oops. Wow, he called me right up, gave me the price I wanted, paid the sales tax and through in the extended warranty:D got an extended cab gmc sle 4x4. Low miles, and all the bells and whistles. Sending the salesman a text was easier then sicking my wife on him. Not as entertaining though. Here's what I got

Damn nice truck! , I got the same one, maroon and 2WD, with 4.8l.....
2009 model- very comfortable to ride in too!

and my wife likes to ride in it !!!!! :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Damn nice truck! , I got the same one, maroon and 2WD, with 4.8l.....
2009 model- very comfortable to ride in too!

and my wife likes to ride in it !!!!! :D
I gotta hide the keys!!!! She's already making plans :rolleyes: mines got the 5.7l and yes, best riding truck i've ever owned. I would have gone with a 2wd but we get a crap load of ice, and a road crew that doesn't know how to deal with it.

Tooljunkie, no back up camera, or remote start. No big deal walking out and starting it. Gotta do the wifes car anyway :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren -

Nice truck!!! I should know - had 5 of the Chevy's.

Best part (in upstate New York) is the Z71 - locking rear differential. Many GM trucks have locking rear diff, but not all. Z71 includes it. Good feature, especially if you don't have it!:D

Not sure if yours has VVT (variable valve timing). Came out in 2007, I think. Not a big fan, because I remember Cadillac's fiasco V-8,6,4 from the early '80's. But, it does do some good for MPG. I got almost 18mpg driving through the Adirondack Mtns. last summer, all out of overdrive "D"

I really like the D/M option of the 6-speed auto. I drive a lot in "M" in crappy weather or on hills. Can pull it out of overdrive, and run in 4th or 5th easily.

I haul wood pellets by the ton often. The 2013 seems to handle better than the '07 Crew Cab.

Only issue I have had in the recent trucks is the Vent Solenoid on gas tank. Gets fouled by dirt, salt, etc. up here and causes Check Engine Light. Already been replaced on the 2013 after a year. 2007's lasted 4 or 5. May not be an issue in Arkansas.

I'm guessing your truck has the 5.3L. I think they down-sized the 5.7L somewhere around the 2007 changes (maybe 2000?). Not sure, been a while... Still a lot better MPG than the 6.0L, which is a beast of a truck engine.

I had a couple pics, current and last trucks. I like Victory Red. All 5 of these have been that color!

Enjoy!! You made a great choice!!

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It has the 5.7 litre with the vvt. Switchs to four cylinders when you let off the gas. Fuel economy went to crap the first couple days I had it. Couldn't keep my foot out of the injectors :D checked it yesterday and it's averaging 16mpg. Has the 3.73 rear end. 4 spd auto, no manual shift. hd tow package with the weight distribution hitch. Has the limited slip rear end. And more buttons and switches then I know what to do with. Had to spend a couple hours with the manual to figure out what half of them did :rolleyes:

Test drove a few crew cabs, and checked how it would do getting into my driveway. Had the turning radius of a school bus. Wouldn't have been able to back my trailer into the drive way. The road i live off only has enough room for one vehicle at a time. As it is, I have to almost jack knife the trailer, then pull into the neighbors drive across the road to back into the yard. So we decided the extended cab would be a better fit :D