Chevy or Dodge???

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wife and I were out picking up her Christmas gift. Ya, I know, little early... but something shes been wanting for a while. Any way, had to use the truck. Which she hasn't been in for a while. So any way, she informs me I should get a new one :D:D My trucks an 04 f150, with 140,000 miles and a regular cab. Fought a leak since I bought it, and is devoping some issues with the electrical, and transmission. Been in this one for almost 11 years. I've been driving ford trucks at home and work for almost 20 years. Know them inside and out, and decided I want something different. 4wd and crew cab. Problem is i've been out of the loop on dodge and gm, and have know idea how reliable they are, or what kind of issues they are known for.

So, what are the issues with dodge and chevys, and your experiences with them?

I'm sure I probably opened up that can of worms :D

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Hey Daren, I just bought a new 2014 chevy silverado. I have to say it's the nicest truck I've ever owned. I would recommend that you check the gearing of the rear end. If you're going to tow much you will definitely want the 3.42 rear end or better. It gets just about the same mileage and has way more grunt when you need it.

The interior is sweet, ergonomic and super comfortable. I have the crew cab with the short box which is fine for me and is way more easy to park. The crew and the 6'6" was a little intimidating for the wife and difficult in parking garages.

Have fun shopping!

p.s. The Rams are nice too.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I went for a ride in my buddy's silverado. Nice truck, if you dont drive at night in the country. Worst lights i have ever seen. Tilting for high/low doesent cut it. All that product development and thats the crap gm comes up with?
Ford hasnt changed a lot in the last few years. Im no ford guy, did work in a dealership for a year. But if i had a choice im thinking ford.
Been dodge all my life, dont know if i would want one now. Gov't trucks all four years old or less, dodge leaves a lot to be desired in ride quality.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
We have all three brands at work that I drive. Just my personal opinions of them are;

Chevy- Drives the best, car-like comfort.

Ford- Most truck-like. Harsher ride

Dodge- Tinny. Vague steering, bed is too high.

I know people have strong opinions about trucks. I'm not really a truck guy. If I needed a truck for truck work, I'd choose the Ford. If I wanted a truck because I like the look of trucks, it would be the Chevy.

snobhill

Equipment
B7500 Tractor, loader, tiller, 3ph mower, blade
Oct 14, 2014
Fort Vermilion, Alberta
I have been a Ford guy for 40 years and there was once a time went I told myself that I could drive something else for a change. I bought a Chev and there was nothing wrong with it but I never felt at home in it. Decided I didn't need to do this to myself. It is personal preference, they all have good and bad points and lemons.

rob82

Equipment
2012 BX25
Jan 18, 2013
Monroe,NJ
I only own Fords.. Except for a 65 VW bug.
I would never buy a GM product because all the bail out money they took and I have a GMC 3500 work van (I dont own it) and they have had a lot of issues. The company I work for has about 400 of these and most had the cams go bad.
Not a big fan of Dodge products. Just mine thing thats all. My buddy just got 2014 Dodge 3500 crew cab 4x4. He said he wanted to buy a Ford but just too much money.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
About the worst question to ask, besides which oil to use or which chainsaw- Stihl or Husqvarna, is to ask which truck to buy. As ctmike said, people have very strong opinions.
I used to be very Ford loyal, and then I bought a Dodge. That was a fantastic truck, and opened my eyes to things. It wasn't any better (overall), or worse, than any other truck that I had owned. I've owned almost all brands, including imports, so I felt that I had a good experience basis.
And, it makes sense. They are all in business to make money and garner your loyalty, so it is in their best interest to build comparable trucks. Anymore, the best truck is the one that stays out of the shop the most, and that can be any of them.
You need to go drive all three. Ford has made changes, and they are going to the aluminum body for the 15's. You might as well compare all three, as well as their prices. One thing for Ford that goes against them- they have gotten REAL stubborn about honoring warranties. That would be important to me.
Everyone has different criteria that is important to them. Ride quality versus workability (I tow heavy, so ride quality usually means lower towing/hauling capacity), power, economy, features (I like a spartan truck- less to go wrong, vinyl seats and floor mats are easier to clean), track record, ground clearance (I need it- Chevrolet/GMC's are too low), warranty features and track record for honoring them, etc. Way too many variables for the folks here to give you impartial imput on what to buy.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe the best answer is to ask,,, Which one do you like sweetie?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I buy a new truck about every 8-10 years. The improvements are astronomical from ten years ago. Go to all the dealers, plant your tail in the drivers seat and see which one fits YOU (and your wife, of course) the best. drive them around, and try the controls, etc............. I retired from a major utility company as a body man. the mechanics had good and bad to say about all the trucks in our fleet. Overall Fords (non diesel) got the nod, but GM's had better transmissions, and the Dodge diesels were favored.
might as well ask, what do you prefer Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads?? take them for a test drive too. I like big headlights

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Actually, from what we have seen so far, she tends to migrate towards the jacked up show trucks that she needs a step ladder to get in :D:D second choice is a 3/4 ton. She really liked the gmc 2500 with the duramax, but it was because of the trim and interior, and color. Plus you can pull a fifth wheel.

I would absolutely love to find one that just has power windows and door locks, a manual transmission with manual 4wd selector, vinyl seats and floors. It's a truck and I tend to use it as one. And I'm more comfortable towing with a manual transmission. But damn, it's become next to impossible to find a new truck with manual transmission. I've searched a 75 mile radius around here with all three dealers and haven't found a one. Gonna sit down later today and extend the search to see if I can find one. And yes, my wife likes a stick shift :D:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
About the worst question to ask, besides which oil to use or which chainsaw- Stihl or Husqvarna, is to ask which truck to buy. As ctmike said, people have very strong opinions.
I used to be very Ford loyal, and then I bought a Dodge. That was a fantastic truck, and opened my eyes to things. It wasn't any better (overall), or worse, than any other truck that I had owned. I've owned almost all brands, including imports, so I felt that I had a good experience basis.
And, it makes sense. They are all in business to make money and garner your loyalty, so it is in their best interest to build comparable trucks. Anymore, the best truck is the one that stays out of the shop the most, and that can be any of them.
You need to go drive all three. Ford has made changes, and they are going to the aluminum body for the 15's. You might as well compare all three, as well as their prices. One thing for Ford that goes against them- they have gotten REAL stubborn about honoring warranties. That would be important to me.
Everyone has different criteria that is important to them. Ride quality versus workability (I tow heavy, so ride quality usually means lower towing/hauling capacity), power, economy, features (I like a spartan truck- less to go wrong, vinyl seats and floor mats are easier to clean), track record, ground clearance (I need it- Chevrolet/GMC's are too low), warranty features and track record for honoring them, etc. Way too many variables for the folks here to give you impartial imput on what to buy.
Hodge,

I'll vote for the Stihl, used them both- Husky good saw but I have a stihl that bought in 85 still runs like a champ ( 100's of truck load of wood)! Wouldnt sell it if it never runs again!

Anyway - back on ford vs...........

When I got my first real job, in '85 I was looking at a Honda CRX or a Ford 250 .......it was a tough choice, ok - not really - I drove the 84 F-250 (351 w 2b, granny low) for 22 plus years, 120,000 miles on it, timing chain broke, destroyed the engine(one of fords @#$#@ ideas, nylon coated sprokets!), anyway rebuilt the engine ...etc. Spent very little money on that girl, she ran, ran and ran!!! Pulled trailers, loaded it with wood......now it was not a nice ride, most of the time empty, you would loose a kidney if you hit a large pothole, but it was a greeeat truck. Went about 8 years without a truck, had several trailers to do my hauling, this past summer i went to looking for a truck, did not find one that i could "like" - I found a GMC 2009 ext cab - fantastic truck - love the fit and finish, 4.8L , runs like a top.

Most people go by the brand and make no exceptions, I look at the "truck" and what is does for me.....I look at history of engines and problems and everything like that ......

If I was buying a diesel - the game changes brands!

Comparing what happened in the 80's-90's to today, is like comparing a desktop computer of the 90's to ones of today.

Buy the truck that has the best fits for your budget, needs and if the wife likes it - that is a plus!!! :eek:

I have know people who look at the resale value of a truck as the #1 thing when considering a truck, I look at them and wonder where the @#$# their brain is, WHO in their right mind wants to sell something in the future when they havent driven it yet ............

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, the answer to your question is determined by each person's experiences. As stated, all have their pluses and minuses. And there a lot of variables. I'd say, set down with your wife and determine what features are absolutes, likes and dislikes. Then go look at the top FOUR.

When it comes to engines guys think (I guess) they're more of a man if they own a diesel powered vehicle. If you pull a BIG load on a very regular basis is really the only time a diesel is needed. Gas engines of today are engineered with rear gears and transmissions to get the same job done. The big benefit of gas engines is the: 1. initial cost. 2. cost of fuel 3. maintenance cost, all less.

The disadvantage of buying new is sales tax, insurance, and depreciation. They eat your lunch!

Then folks say, "I don't want someone else's problems" when it comes to buying pre-owned. You can find vehicles with very low mileage, still with factory warranty at very good prices. Then you can add 100,000 mile warranty to that for a very reasonable price.

To each his own. Have to look in the cookie jar, then the gotta have list, then the wish list--then make a decision you can live with!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
D2cat,
We're looking for late model used. Most truck for the buck :cool:

Thread kind of went sideways from my original questions, which i was asking about what are some of the common issues with the newer chevys and dodge. Was looking for info on what to watch out for. Like stay away from this tranny. Or this engine has this issue.

We currently have to take two vehicles for camping trips with the grand kiddos. So a crew cabs a must. 4wd is a must as well. 3/4 ton is a serious option depending on what we can find. Wife has dreams of a fifth wheel camper :rolleyes: every thing else isn't a must have, other then power widows and door locks. Could be a bare bones work truck for all I care:) and actually she's the same way. Just depends on if the dealers bumped there head or not :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren -

Stihl saws - definitely. My 046 Magnum...

I've driven Chevies for 20 years. I'm on my 5th Siverado in a row, all Victory Red. The color isn't because of my business; just like it!:cool:

My experience over those years is that some companies have all had their issues.

Chrysler had terrible tranny problems with the new "Ram" design in the late-'90's, and some periodic engine issues since. Fuel mileage was an issue for some with the 5.7(?) at 6 or 8 MPG. With that said, a dyed-in-the-wool GM buddy recently bought a RAM Rollback for his business. Ford has had turbo issues years ago with one of their diesels - don't remember which. Ford also had major issues with their "automatic" front hubs - many guys replaced with the ole style manual locks for 4x4.

I think GM is the only manufacturer with a locking rear differential. Other have limited slip. May not be an issue in Arkansas, but is in upstate New York.

I've had issues with the Chevies, too. The vent solenoid for the fuel tank is in a shitty spot. It get crudded up underneath and fails. Causes a check engine light, which means you can't get it inspected in NYS until its fixed. The last generation also had poor fuel mileage, IMO, for the 5.3.

The same friend with the RAM rollback also recently bought a GMC Dinali 1 ton dually with Duramax. He had me take it for a ride - what a truck! Damn thing cost more than my house! He had sold his wife's 2007 dually without her permission, so he was in a hurry!:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren -

If you do go "oil burner," my friends tend to lean toward the GM Duramax or the Ram's Cummins. The Cummins, and cost, of the Ram was what tilted my friend to buy the rollback I mentioned. Never had one; so just relaying what I've heard over the years.

Also, in the early 2000's, Chevy put disc brakes in the back of some pickups. That is not a good thing. I got 30k on a set; had buddies getting 10 or 12k. Definitely get drums back there with locking rear diff!

Just haven't heard good or bad things about Ford's diesels in a while. They had Internationals for some time, but I think that changed. The 7.3l of the late '90's and early 2000's was a beast.:p

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I buy a new truck about every 8-10 years. The improvements are astronomical from ten years ago. Go to all the dealers, plant your tail in the drivers seat and see which one fits YOU (and your wife, of course) the best. drive them around, and try the controls, etc............. I retired from a major utility company as a body man. the mechanics had good and bad to say about all the trucks in our fleet. Overall Fords (non diesel) got the nod, but GM's had better transmissions, and the Dodge diesels were favored.
might as well ask, what do you prefer Blonds, Brunettes, Redheads?? take them for a test drive too. I like big headlights

Ok, a w(hole) nother topic:D:eek: you keep them thar blondes.........all of them, I'll take the brunettes !!! And the redheads.........mmmm.....let talk about that later over a beer or 3 !;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ok, a w(hole) nother topic:D:eek: you keep them thar blondes.........all of them, I'll take the brunettes !!! And the redheads.........mmmm.....let talk about that later over a beer or 3 !;)
I married a red head :D:D I can tell you from experience, that you would need more then 3 beers to handle multiple read heads ;)

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Talking work type truck, diesel power. Buddy swears by his duramax and happy with mileage. Dodge is still running the time tested cummins. Ford diesel- reserve a bay at the local dealer,regular visits start at about 60,000 km's.
Ford chevy dodge
Husky stihl jonsereds
Mercury evinrude yamaha
Blonde brunette readhead
Honda harley suzuki

Sooner or later they all gonna give you trouble.
As long as you are happy with the choice who cares what anybody else thinks?

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
They ALL have issues, non of them are perfect. Pick the one you like and enjoy!!

I drive a 97 gmc, my jeep cj has a chevy tbi 5.7 and I also have a corvair. Prior to the gmc, I had an 01 ram with power windows, locks, a/c and a 5sp manual. I loved and miss that truck. My dad never had good luck with ford products, nor have I. Had a ford car many years ago and left wifey stranded a couple times with no starts.

And I love my stihl products. :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Talking work type truck, diesel power. Buddy swears by his duramax and happy with mileage. Dodge is still running the time tested cummins. Ford diesel- reserve a bay at the local dealer,regular visits start at about 60,000 km's.
Ford chevy dodge
Husky stihl jonsereds
Mercury evinrude yamaha
Blonde brunette readhead
Honda harley suzuki

Sooner or later they all gonna give you trouble.
As long as you are happy with the choice who cares what anybody else thinks?
I think ford finally figured it out on the newest powerstroke. The 2011 we have at work has got 160k and has been in the shop for a fan belt and coolant line besides regular service. Now the 08 and 09 with the dpf were ok. And the 6.0 litres before that had issues with the wiring going to the fuel injectors. Wires would get pinched by the valve cover causing the injectors to go out.

Husky all the way :D followed by stihl and jonsered