Chainsaw safety

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I knew someone was going to embark on that one…. LOL
That's OK. You just enjoy posting, and responding to any post. We understand you sometimes have to come up with something to respond with and maybe you had not had your coffee that day!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
How do you like those, and where did you end up getting them from?
RWS,
I like the pants a lot. The zippers for air flow work great. When I found them they were sold overseas. I think from the UK. Yep just looked at old email. Gustharts.com And on sale now $105. I paid $130
They might be sold here now but they came shipped to the house in about 6 days.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
RWS,
I like the pants a lot. The zippers for air flow work great. When I found them they were sold overseas. I think from the UK. Yep just looked at old email. Gustharts.com And on sale now $105. I paid $130
They might be sold here now but they came shipped to the house in about 6 days.
Thanks.

Do they run small or big in terms of sizing?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
This is a good thread for me to read as I'm about to do a fair amount of felling.
I admit when doing a 'quick job' I leave all the PPE on a hook :(
Reading here is another reminder that accidents happen even on little jobs.

I shouldn't need to be reminded as I, as many others here, know someone who got hurt with a chainsaw. In my case it was a fellow worker who was building a house in Vermont. He was doing some clearing - no power, no helper, no cell - when he slashed his leg. Quick thinking and he got his belt on as a tourniquet, crawled a 1/4mi to the house where his wife drove him to the hospital. They told him another 1/2" and he wouldn't have crawled anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
WOW - good thread and I missed this earlier.

I am over on the arboristsite and heavy into felling for clean up, storm damage & firewood on my property. I ALWAYS use PPE and my preferred is Labonville full wrap chaps, helmet w/ face shield, kevlar gloves & linesman medium height composite toe boots.

I never thought it would happen, but I am on my second pair of chaps. When you cut a lot, especially in thick underbrush it happens in the blink of an eye. I limit myself to one tank max and always suit up no matter the temp. This is over 14 years, and many storms including Sandy where I lost 20 100'+

FYI The Kevlar does stop the blade. Both of my instances were across the left thigh when it was cycling down revs and I let it drop (I am right-handed). Hollow trees, leaners, splits, there are a million ways for it to kick back.

Also, as seen, a CS injury is a series of a thousand quick rip/tears rather than a cut. Very brutal

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
This might help even if you know all this shes fun to watch

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Interesting difference when using an electric chain saw.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I've fallen down or tripped while running gas chain saws. Many times. And I just am programed in my head, to the throw the saw as far away from me as I can, as I fall down.

I even threw my Stihl chainsaw as I fell beside my truck one time. No damage to the saw, or me. Scratched the truck fender. So what. It's a truck. Not my leg. I have survived. So far. Obviously.

In running cordless electric, I try to take smaller bites into the wood because I'm usually not geared up, PPE style, when using electric. Because cordless electric is my quick fix for fallen trees or large branches in the driveway.

If I'm going cutting for the day, it's full PPE and a gas chainsaw.

It's easy to consider cordless chainsaws as less lethal.

BUT THEY ARE NOT LESS LETHAL.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've fallen down or tripped while running gas chain saws. Many times. And I just am programed in my head, to the throw the saw as far away from me as I can, as I fall down.

I even threw my Stihl chainsaw as I fell beside my truck one time. No damage to the saw, or me. Scratched the truck fender. So what. It's a truck. Not my leg. I have survived. So far. Obviously.

In running cordless electric, I try to take smaller bites into the wood because I'm usually not geared up, PPE style, when using electric. Because cordless electric is my quick fix for fallen trees or large branches in the driveway.

If I'm going cutting for the day, it's full PPE and a gas chainsaw.

It's easy to consider cordless chainsaws as less lethal.

BUT THEY ARE NOT LESS LETHAL.
The benefit of a battery powered chain saw is when the trigger is released the motor stops and therefore the chain stops. It does not keep turning like a gas saw.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Please do get some and use them.

We already know how often times your chores turn into something other than expected.

And we would miss your posts here if something awful were to happen to you.
Thanks for the kind words.

I am definitely getting a set of pants and boots. I am just trying to figure out which ones to get.

Arbortec BreathFlex is in the lead for pants.

Boots is a little tougher though. There is not a ton of info on them.