Chainsaw safety

Loud Lyle

Equipment
L3902
Dec 24, 2023
Raymond Ms
This what a quick bump with a running saw looks like with just a pair of Carhatt pants on. I have been looking at chaps the last couple of days for the spring.
IMG_6025.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
This what a quick bump with a running saw looks like with just a pair of Carhatt pants on. I have been looking at chaps the last couple of days for the spring. View attachment 124549
I sure hope that they numbed that up before they started stitching. Hoping you have a fast recovery, and remember to take your antibiotics regularly, and preferably not on an empty stomach. Keep an eye on the leg for infection, and don't delay getting it looked at if you suspect infection. The last thing is and it is probably too late, have them shave the hair where the adhesive tape is going. Removing tape and pulling the hair under it is as painful as the wound.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
PPE is a bit like a seat belt. You should wear it when the hazard exists, since no one plans to be in the hospital with a chain saw injury.

My chaps have saved me two such trips in the last couple decades.

20 years or 70 years experience, it only takes once. And the ERs see those folks everyday.

Folks that have driven since before seat belts were mandatory equipment, probably use them today when they are in a car. Lack of accidents in the past is zero guarantee one is not susceptible to one today. Sure, skill helps, probably a lot, but luck shouldn’t be all that’s between a person getting injured or not getting injured. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't have a lot of experience with chainsaws; However when we bought the place up north and I started using it (and after reading a few threads like this) and seeing the amount of damage they can do in just a split second, I went "all in".

I got the helmet with face screen, some 10 ply "competition" chaps, and the special gloves.

I have injured myself more times than I care to admit, but I am damn sure I don't want an accident with a chainsaw.

And just for the record, those chaps have "saved my ass" once already. I was getting tired and decided to "keep going for another 30 minutes, when about 10 minutes later, I accidently "touched" my thigh.

Luckily, those chaps did exactly as they were supposed to.

Now I limit my saw time and quit WELL BEFORE I feel tired.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think the most dangerous thing about using a chain saw, or and thing that will hurt or kill you in being complacent. Well all get a little cocky sometimes, yeah I can do that real quick,, and thats when things go sideways, and if you are tired or had a few adult beverages it can get real ugly. And I only laughed at Lyle because I have a reminder just like that on my right thigh, it is a reminder ever time I see it.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Until reading this thread I never thought about PPE for using a chain saw. I actually did not know that they made chaps or Kevlar pants. I have been using a chain saw for more than 55 years, cutting at least 5 cords of wood per year and never thought about having an accident with a chain saw. Now that I have read this thread, I am giving some serious thought to getting at least chaps and more protective gloves than the leather ones I currently use. As some on this thread point out, luck can only carry one just so far. I admit to being one of the lucky ones but I am not going to press that lucky streak much further after reading this thread and seeing the pictures that some have posted.

Reactions: 3 users

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Nah, tell us the truth. You decided to have better protection because you made it to retirement and you want to be sure to enjoy it!!!! ;);)
Back in 1984 my Moms boss was 2weeks from retiring and went to his little country place by himself and fired up his chainsaw. Cut his leg nearly off and this was long before cellphones. Sadly he didn't make it to retirement.
My Wife has a bunch distant cousins that all at one time or another were " pulpwood cutters " . Lots of missing fingers and scars.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Back in 1984 my Moms boss was 2weeks from retiring and went to his little country place by himself and fired up his chainsaw. Cut his leg nearly off and this was long before cellphones. Sadly he didn't make it to retirement.
My Wife has a bunch distant cousins that all at one time or another were " pulpwood cutters " . Lots of missing fingers and scars.
A sad story that’s a stark reminder of why taking safety seriously and the appropriate precautions is important every time cell phone or not.

The electrician replacing light fixtures in the ER should still take appropriate precautions even though help is seconds away. Unless one likes taking unnecessary risks with shortening the one life they have. Darwin likes those folks and they make good YouTube video subjects.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure anyone cares or is interested, but here is a link to Husqvarna safety page. I am a Stihl owner myself, but husqvarna does have a helpful site with good instructional information. Check out their user guides and how tos…great info. I hope this helps someone. 🥃

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Chainsaws can do a lot of damage quickly! And a good pair of chaps will be comfortable. I love my Clogger zeros. Not too hot and way more comfortable than my Husqvarna chaps.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Like others, I’ve used a chainsaw since 12 or so.

Cut a lot of wood. Firewood and 4’ pulpwood. Not much last 20 years, which is where it gets scary.

Never used PPE, but had it because required for cutting pulp on State property.

Got a widow maker on top of the noggin 35 years ago. Hard hat was hanging from the truck mirror…..dumb….

Not hurt. My father said was a good thing it hit me in the head otherwise I might have gotten hurt…😉

10 years ago a maple limb rolled and pushed bar into my thigh. No throttle and chain stopped. Just left a couple oil marks on my pants. Scared the poop out of me. Dumb…

Not 25 years old anymore….That one still spooks me.

Used a saw daily/weekly for years. No professional but a decent novice.

Don’t use them as much anymore. Can’t say I’m afraid of them, but let’s say I’m more careful.

Use chaps and hard hat most of the time.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Chaps demonstration (gas powered saw)

Important to know that chaps can be less effective when using a battery powered chainsaw or corded electric chainsaw because of the increased torque of those saws.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Gloves and eyewear…. healthy-amount of fear and common-sense and using a smidgen of fore-thought…. has worked for me for almost 75 years….

My friend who borrowed my chain saw one day…. not so lucky… but I’m a fan of ELECTRIC chain saws because they are quiet enough to hear co-workers and alarms…. and when my friend tried to stand on the top-rung of an extension-ladder and reach farther-out on a limb than good-sense dictated…. He got lucky. When the chain-saw slipped and fell against his body…. the extension-cord disconnected and the chain came to a stop JUST as it contacted his jeans.

He only suffered a loss of blue-jeans from the saw…. and a sore back from the fall off the ladder.

Using a chain saw DEMANDS a steady footing and solid stance…. Over-reaching and on wobbly-footing is foolish.
I still have my now 30 year old Stihl saw, It is sitting on a shelf, having been run dry.
At my 83 years, that is exactly where it belongs!
I do occasionally use my little GreenWorks 16" battery powered saw.
It I fall/slip, and let go of the trigger,.... it will stop!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep…those 2-stroke, mix the gas-and-oil and PUll and Pull and Pull….and (if it’s a good day)… RRRING…DIING-DIING-DINNG…. ear-splitting and tired-arm be-damned…. and smelly-smoke………
….NOPE..NOT for ME!

The light-weight, Quiet, Pull-the-Trigger and “it’s running!”…and QUIETLY…. is for me! 😍

EVEN When I’m waaay out in the woods…. NO PROBLEMO! I just bring-along my little portable generator and …Easy-Peasy…. Great Excuse to use my Kubota RTV, little home-made trailer, generator and Start-Every-Time …no smoke and no noise Electric Chain Saw!
IMG_1594.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
Good thread guys. Thanks for the reminder - my chaps have spent a little too much time hanging on the hook instead of me wearing them...

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Chainsaws can do a lot of damage quickly! And a good pair of chaps will be comfortable. I love my Clogger zeros. Not too hot and way more comfortable than my Husqvarna chaps.
This thread has inspired me to switch to "chainsaw pants" because as you pointed out the chaps are a PITA to put on, and don't feel/fit good.

Do you have any experience with other brands of chainsaw pants?

I am narrowing it down, but Clogger Zeros and Arbortec BreathFlex are at the top of the list so far (mostly due to each one has a "short leg" option)

I'm looking for a Design "C" , Class 1 set and I overheat very easily, so the cooler the better. ( I ain't skinny neither😂)

Oh and I am getting a pair of "chainsaw boots" too. Kinda over the top, but for $400 it's better than sitting in the emergency room with a bloody towel wrapped around my foot.

Any advice from anyone with chainsaw pants or boots is welcome. (y)

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
View attachment 124510
I bought a pair of these two years ago. Super comfortable and has zippers to allow for air flow. They were hard to find but totally worth it. I have used chaps in the past for work, but hated them and knew I would not wear them.
How do you like those, and where did you end up getting them from?

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I have a reminder on the toe of my current work shoes of chainsaw safety, if I recall I was limbing a downed tree, was towards the end and was getting weak in my arms, the saw cut through a limb quicker than expected and just nicked my shoe. That woulda been my big toe if it went any further. I try my best to work safely but often put safety off to the side to complete a job, it’s a definite fault of mine.

2ABCE862-A6A9-4308-8BF0-FEFED7A9522F.jpeg

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
When going to cut trees for the day, I wear my Stihl brand chaps and head gear with facemask. Steel toed boots. I don't know how good the chaps are, haven"t had to test them. They take a minute to put on, and are comfy enuf to not notice that I'm wearing them. But I've bounced a few branches off of the hard hat and face mask. Glad I was wearing them.

Never felt the need when I was a young lad, for chaps or any PPE. But now I"m in my 60's and my reflexes aren't as fast. So PPE it is.

However, I also carry a Milwaukee M18 16" electric in my truck toolbox. Too many times I've had minor tree or branches block my driveway. At those times, no PPE. I"ve had to cut branches in my church clothes. I don"t like it, but it is what it is.

And the electric cordless is a game changer for small stuff. No gas, no pulling the cord to start. Grab it out of the truck, plug in a battery and go cut. Hopefully just wood.

Last edited: