Chainsaw safety

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I was at church yesterday and my friend and his wife came walking in through the door. The only thing is, he was on crutches. I asked him what happened, which she quickly replied, he tried to cut his leg off cleaning up the yard.

He was out with the chainsaw cutting up a small tree when the saw went through the branch quicker than expected which caused him to go slightly off balance and the chainsaw went right into his thigh. They showed me pictures, he laid it open good, but thankfully didn't hit the bone, major arties, or any major nerves. He was lucky. After being taken to the ED and getting a bunch of stitches, both internally and external, he is going to live.

He was surprised how quickly it all happened. I pointed out that it only goes slow in the cartoons.

So, as a friendly reminder, those chaps are more than just for bedroom entertainment, they are designed to protect you, but will only work if you have them on.

Reactions: 11 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As a vocational teacher we use to teach than 25 years ago, students would come IN on a Saturday for a couple of hours, it was all about chain saw safety - each was explained and shown what, when, how to use a saw safely.

The weekend after that was gun safety - yup, live rounds on campus - .22 rim fire and exactly WHAT to do and EXACTLY WHAT NEVER TO DO!

Times have a changed!

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
And the 3rd Saturday;y was sex education, what to do and what not to do! One mistake and it could lead to life-altering consequences. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
So, as a friendly reminder, those chaps are more than just for bedroom entertainment, they are designed to protect you, but will only work if you have them on.
^^^^^

Yep. (y)

Admittedly, I don't 'gear up' when just cutting up a few fallen limbs, but I do wear my PPE when felling a tree or cutting up a storm fallen tree.

The last study I read indicated that the 'average' chainsaw accident required 110 stitches to close and cost about $6000.00 in fees.

A good pair of chaps run about $100.00 and take about 2 minutes to put on. A hospital visit (and aftercare), well.... you do the math.

In over 50 years of using chainsaws....I've yet to cut myself. But that is largely because they scare the hell out of me.

PPE.jpg

Solo 603a.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to admit to buying CHEEEEEEP chaps,, dont do it, spend the money on a real set of chaps, not the chinlee junk!!!! The ER visit 35 stitches and all assorted costs, were more than a good pair of chaps, and a lot less having to listen to the better half chirping about CHEEEEEEEEP stuff

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I remember studying chaps before making a purchase. I didn't know what make them help be safer. The material used in them is kevlar and when that gets touched by the chain teeth it wads up and jams the chain. Simple a explanation, but stopping the chain is GOOD!

Reactions: 1 user

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
1710773369677.png

I bought a pair of these two years ago. Super comfortable and has zippers to allow for air flow. They were hard to find but totally worth it. I have used chaps in the past for work, but hated them and knew I would not wear them.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I was at church yesterday and my friend and his wife came walking in through the door. The only thing is, he was on crutches. I asked him what happened, which she quickly replied, he tried to cut his leg off cleaning up the yard.

He was out with the chainsaw cutting up a small tree when the saw went through the branch quicker than expected which caused him to go slightly off balance and the chainsaw went right into his thigh. They showed me pictures, he laid it open good, but thankfully didn't hit the bone, major arties, or any major nerves. He was lucky. After being taken to the ED and getting a bunch of stitches, both internally and external, he is going to live.

He was surprised how quickly it all happened. I pointed out that it only goes slow in the cartoons.

I never run a saw without my chaps on. I saw someone get cut open when i was young, It wasn't good to say the least.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I don't use much PPE when operating a chainsaw, but I've been good for 30+ years. Possibly because I'm left handed I operate the saw at an angle to me so any potential kickback or unexpected cutthrough does not swing towards me.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I never wore the stuff till a few years ago and I had the saw kick back and graze my thigh. Very lucky in that it ruined my jeans but just grazed my skin. Took a time out and ordered PPE. Now I wear it every time I use the saw.

Attachments

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I never wore the stuff till a few years ago and I had the saw kick back and graze my thigh. Very lucky in that it ruined my jeans but just grazed my skin. Took a time out and ordered PPE. Now I wear it every time I use the saw.
I have 3 pairs of jeans that look like that, never nicked the skin. I then got smart and wear the chaps that the family gifted me.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
And always remember this safety tip: When operating a chainsaw wearing shorts, do not kneel in the fire ant mound.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don't use much PPE when operating a chainsaw, but I've been good for 30+ years. Possibly because I'm left handed I operate the saw at an angle to me so any potential kickback or unexpected cutthrough does not swing towards me.
In the last 3 years I have had three different commercial tree service companies in here and I dont think I have seen chaps on any of the workers. Hard hats, safety glasses and gloves are de riguour for everyone. The chipper and saw guys usually wear ear muffs.

I have to confess my personal PPE consists of gloves and safety glassess.

Dan

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Chaps, helmet, safety glasses & hearing protection. All equally important IMHO.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I will have to admit that I rarely ever wear any PPE and I cut a lot of wood.. I am a workaholic and an alcoholic who is never without a beer when I am home working ( which is every single day). I may be cutting wood 2 or 12 beers into a day. After reading this post, I decided to jump online an bought a set of chaps...

Reactions: 3 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
In the last 3 years I have had three different commercial tree service companies in here and I dont think I have seen chaps on any of the workers. Hard hats, safety glasses and gloves are de riguour for everyone. The chipper and saw guys usually wear ear muffs.

I have to confess my personal PPE consists of gloves and safety glassess.

Dan
you should add some hearing protection.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’m 57. Started using a chainsaw cutting firewood when I was about 12. Except for the years I was in college I’ve cut firewood for either my parents or myself, that being our primary heat source. The years I was in college I worked for a tree service. Never wore a helmet or chaps, period. Not even with the tree service. Only PPE was gloves, ear plugs, and steel toed boots.

Due to my career I’ve dealt with many incidents of injury and property damage involving chainsaws and tree felling, but have been fortunate to not be party to any of them. One of the things I gleaned from that experience was saw injuries are like most workplace injuries: the two most susceptible groups are inexperienced people who do dumb newbie stuff and very experienced people who are taking shortcuts and risks they shouldn’t due to over confidence that catches up with them.

The past couple of years I’ve taken to wearing a helmet with face shield and integrated muffs as well as chaps. Mostly because I recognized I was blessed to survive being a member of the dumb newbie group relatively unscathed. I am consciously attempting to avoid joining the over confident “I’ve been doing this so long I’m bullet proof” group that’s also dangerous to themselves and others. That’s not limited to chainsaw work but chainsaws are on the list. Definite proponent of chaps, forestry helmet with face shield, hearing protection, gloves, appropriate footwear. Only issue I have with PPE, particularly chaps, is potential for over confidence leading to carelessness. At this point I attempt, not always perfectly, to wear the helmet and chaps, but run the saw like I’m still just wearing jeans and a ball cap.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gloves and eyewear…. healthy-amount of fear and common-sense and using a smidgen of fore-thought…. has worked for me for almost 75 years….

My friend who borrowed my chain saw one day…. not so lucky… but I’m a fan of ELECTRIC chain saws because they are quiet enough to hear co-workers and alarms…. and when my friend tried to stand on the top-rung of an extension-ladder and reach farther-out on a limb than good-sense dictated…. He got lucky. When the chain-saw slipped and fell against his body…. the extension-cord disconnected and the chain came to a stop JUST as it contacted his jeans.

He only suffered a loss of blue-jeans from the saw…. and a sore back from the fall off the ladder.

Using a chain saw DEMANDS a steady footing and solid stance…. Over-reaching and on wobbly-footing is foolish.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I’m 57. Started using a chainsaw cutting firewood when I was about 12. Except for the years I was in college I’ve cut firewood for either my parents or myself, that being our primary heat source. The years I was in college I worked for a tree service. Never wore a helmet or chaps, period. Not even with the tree service. Only PPE was gloves, ear plugs, and steel toed boots.

Due to my career I’ve dealt with many incidents of injury and property damage involving chainsaws and tree felling, but have been fortunate to not be party to any of them. One of the things I gleaned from that experience was saw injuries are like most workplace injuries: the two most susceptible groups are inexperienced people who do dumb newbie stuff and very experienced people who are taking shortcuts and risks they shouldn’t due to over confidence that catches up with them.

The past couple of years I’ve taken to wearing a helmet with face shield and integrated muffs as well as chaps. Mostly because I recognized I was blessed to survive being a member of the dumb newbie group relatively unscathed. I am consciously attempting to avoid joining the over confident “I’ve been doing this so long I’m bullet proof” group that’s also dangerous to themselves and others. That’s not limited to chainsaw work but chainsaws are on the list. Definite proponent of chaps, forestry helmet with face shield, hearing protection, gloves, appropriate footwear. Only issue I have with PPE, particularly chaps, is potential for over confidence leading to carelessness. At this point I attempt, not always perfectly, to wear the helmet and chaps, but run the saw like I’m still just wearing jeans and a ball cap.
Nah, tell us the truth. You decided to have better protection because you made it to retirement and you want to be sure to enjoy it!!!! ;);)

Reactions: 2 users